1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting tweets about Dallas' draft

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Yep, if Baltimore had taken him at 32 they wouldn't have be criticized.

If Dallas had stayed at 18 and taken Reid, they would have been criticized for reaching on him. But if San Francisco, moves up and selects him at 18 (giving up a 3rd) rounder in the process, they are smart.

Dallas gets criticized for passing on Floyd, then moving back to 31 (getting a third rounder in the process) to "reach" for an OL they could have had in the 2nd round. But New York and Chicago also pass on Floyd and reach for OL's they could have had in the second round (and they don't even get the extra 3rd rounder), and nobody has a problem with what they did.

Notice any patterns here?
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    You are spot on.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,209 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    They needed to get the guy that they wanted. A small "reach" is much better than the 2009 draft where they could have used one of about a dozen later round picks to move up in the 2nd and get the player that they targeted, Max Unger.

I would have been overjoyed in the proceeding years if they have traded both 3rd rounders Brewster and Jason Williams for Unger. In fact, they would have been better off trading all of their picks for Unger.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I can only imagine the reaction if we had drafted Pugh or Reid at 18. :laugh2:
  5. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,711 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    :post:
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Paging Max Unger
  7. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    On tape he looks slow. He pulled on a screen and looked ridiculous and whiffed on some quick linemen. Certainly doesn't look like he will be able to handle quicker D-linemen. More of a mauler type. I am pretty sure he would have been available well into the second round at least. Jones is about the same type and he went in the fourth I think.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,918 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    I don't know what that tweet means. Didnt want to lose 42 but lost a guy taken after?
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,918 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    So you seek out info for those teams to the same extent that you do Dallas?

Frequent those message boards as well?

You follow Dallas so you hear everything, good or bad. I can't remember the last time I read more than the headline to an article written about another team.
  10. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Pretty sure it means that the fins did not want to trade up in the second because they had already used pick 42 to move up in the first.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    They sent 42 to Oakland to draft Jordan. Dallas took Escobar at 47, Miami other second was in 50's, so they ended up missing out on Escobar. Miami had an extra 2 from the Vontae Davis trade to Indy.
  12. ThreeandOut

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Nope, I'm simply reading all these draft grades and other national media singling out Dallas for something that at least a couple of other teams had done.
  13. ykc

ykc Active Member

579 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I believe SF and BAL earned that benefit of doubt and we don't until we earn it with string together a few good drafts
  14. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,798 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Yup. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,922 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    I think this year's Max Unger (Schwenke) was taken in the 4th round. I understand Jerry's relcutance to fool around. Plus they had Greddy ranked a good bit higher than some, so it was not much of a reach for them. That's what counts.

But I hope our guy dominates.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    I would not have minded them drafting both Frederick and Schwenke
  17. ThreeandOut

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    No, it's either a good move or it isn't regardless of whom is making the decision.
  18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    This tweet went to this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2...--the-49ers-have-a-super-draft-222459529.html

19. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I just dont see it.
  20. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received