1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Introducing the Worked-Shoot Era of WWE

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by zrinkill, Jul 20, 2011.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Vince McMahon's demotion and what lies ahead for WWE

"I love you, Pop, and I'm sorry."

With those unspectacular words, Triple H relieved his real-life father-in-law, WWE chairman Vince McMahon, of his duties. It was a storyline, obviously, but the way it was delivered spoke to a larger theme: For the first time, Triple H, the WWE Board of Directors' on-screen representative, made unveiled reference to the facts that he's married to Vince's daughter and part of the WWE brain trust. John Cena threatened to leave for rival promotion TNA Wrestling if Vince lived up to his promise of firing Cena. Both lines were knee-deep in scripted histrionics, but they also stood as examples of the somewhat real, worked-shoot style that CM Punk brought back into vogue in June.

Despite the fact that he wasn't even present for the proceedings, Punk's spirit filled the arena.1 Physically, Punk — your putative WWE champion — was in Chicago, cavorting offscreen with the championship belt. If that seems unusual, well, it is. Allow me to recap.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6784925/introducing-worked-shoot-era

This is a good article.
  2. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good article but HHH & Orton worked a story several years ago where Orton was terrorizing Steph & HHH was there to save his wife. And they had him going to Randy's house and his "wife".....
  3. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    That was not really a worked shoot ..... nobody thought that was real.

Well ..... maybe some kids.
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Yup. Everyone knows he is married to steph.

And btw its been dubbed realERA
  5. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They both married well. Vince gets a son in law who knows the business inside and out..he married into the job of a lifetime
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,372 Messages
    3,665 Likes Received
    Call it the "Worked-Shoot Era"

I like that. Great article BTW.
  7. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Which has been the backbone for tna booking since hogan arrived btw
  8. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Yup ...... glad WWE is doing something great, nobody has done this type of thing in 10 years ...... at least not successfully.
  9. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I'm sure being a profitable company and being #2 in an industry in 9 years is considered successful.
  10. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    I take what I said back ...... Ring Of Honor will be successful doing it ...... of course they are about to restart a working relationship with the WWE.
  11. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Ok a company that used to pull .06 ratings vs the company that pulls 1.2s-1.4's, I wonder which is more successful?

Freaking homer. Weren't you the one who asked what Ring of Honor was 4 months ago? Do you even know 5 people on the roster? Have fun googling it! Whos the top 2 workers? Harder to google that, and it's not a matter of opinion its a fact. TNA>ROH in ring, and ROH has 1 storyline, and they repeat it all the freakin' time which is tag team breakup and feud for 2 years. and I'm a huge ROH fan, probably more so than TNA or WWE at this point.
  12. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Hey ....... does anyone remember who it was that bought the CM Punk is leaving angle hook line and sinker?

What was that marks name?

[IMG]
  13. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Good work by WWE.

I know from what I've watched, and read, about TNA that they've attempted to do this type of thing for a while but they fail miserably at it. It's the people they have running their company though, and not so much their wrestlers, that can't seem to work it right.

I've seen their silly little backstage, after show, promos where they're always trying to make it seem more 'real' but those come off as so hokey and stupid. But, again, it's because of who they have running the show and calling the shots. If they had quality management I believe they'd pull it off very well as well.

Unfortunately for TNA Eric Bishoff doesn't have a nWo, shock the world when Hogan turns out to be the bad guy leader, deal he can pull out of his *** in order to make TNA become the #1.

Also I've heard, and seen, people here bragging about being the #2 company in the wrestling world and how that is something.

Being #2 out of a whole 2 companies only means you're last. It's that simple.

ROH doesn't count yet, as they've not got national, and the Mexican and Japanese companies aren't shown in the states, and such, to be part of the deal. Otherwise one of those companies would likely be beating all of them.

But, yeah, TNA drawing the #2 ranking out of 2 is not something to hang ones hat on.
  15. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was the one who had never heard of ROH & posted that...I don't know a thing about them...then and now.
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    I recall that.

They're not a bad company but they're small, indy, with very little in way of storyline and presentation. They're all about the in-ring product and, like ECW used to have with the hardcore section of fans, it's worked to get them a quality, all be it smaller, dedicated following.
  17. zrinkill

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    ROH has some great athletes and a few guys with promise.

Their soon to be relationship with WWE will only help them.
  18. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    It's far from #2 out of #2, in UK its #1 out of much more than 2, it draws upwards of 200,000 viewers for iMPACT while WWE draws less than 140,000 for PPV's which air for free and around 120k for RAW, less than that for SD. TNA wasn't even in the UK before Hogan & Bischoff arrived, in a year and a half they have overtaken WWE in a market they have been in for atleast a decade+.

A few other markets TNA is close to WWE in, or beating them in, and they are not the only two players in the game. NWA hollywood has tv, Lucha Libre USA has TV, a few more do aswell.

TNA is a company that employees hundreds of employees making valid livings, and giving other people that work 1 or 2 nights every few months a great source of extra income, it's a profitable venture that is the highest rated show on its network by far, outdrawing UFC fight nights outdrawing UFC ultimate fighter.

TNA is not some **** company, and being 2nd place in any industry is not something to shake your head at.
  19. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1:

If ROH has a working relationship with WWE, the ROH fanbase will abandon WWE if its not done right. A majority of ROH's fanbase lol @ WWE like it's a lulzcat and only watched Punk before the last few weeks, and a majority of ROH's fanbase prefer the TNA product tenfold to WWE's, why? They have wrestling. ROH fans don't give 2 ****s about the storylines, it's all about the in-ring product.

Infact, a working relationship it won't happen. Luke Gallows, Colt Cabana and Ace Steele are Punks best friends, and none are under a contract to ROH. That's all they need to bring in.
  20. Cowboy Brian

11,850 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I remember you said that, one of the only ones to admit it when I post about ROH people ignore it. Zrinkill probably can't name nothing from ROH without googling it. That's not a problem, very few people can, probably only around 20,000 or so people can, but he claims it will overtake TNA with millions of fans because WWE mentioned them on TV once? LOL.

"and if I can't do it here, i'll go on someone elses show where I can, Brother!" -John Cena on Monday. I guess there must be a working relationship between TNA & WWE now eh zrinkill?