1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

iphone 4s & 5 exorbidant data usage? Verizon & AT&T

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Jan 26, 2013.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Hi,

I would like to hear from iphone 4s and iphone5 users on both AT&T and Verizon.

The reason for this thread is a friend of mine just got an iphone5. She comes from blackberry. She is not a heavy phone user by any means.

She has used up over 3gb of data in less than 10 days.

Now, before anyone starts pointing out things that use up data THAT is not my inquiry.

There seems to be an issue with AT&T and possible still Verizon when it comes to the iphones and ios6/AT&T issue.

So my question is: Is anyone blowing through 3, 4, 5 and even 12GB of data monthly?

These phones are calculating EVERYTHING and drawing from your data plan. I have even read online that someone turned off their phone over night only to find out that the phone was sending and receiving data according to AT&T

Thanks in advance - If this phone is a "sucker" - ITS GOING BACK! I will use the Razr Maxx as second phone :)
  2. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    iphone 5 here and use about 2.5-3GB per month but I'm constantly on it. Have your friend check the hotspot and make sure it's not on because that amount of data within days is crazy.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,913 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Make sure shes using wifi when at home/capable of doing so. I have access to OptimumWifi almost everywhere so if need be my data usage could be sub 1gb
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    iPhone 5 on verizon LTE here. Never had that problem.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,210 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    IPhone 5 and have had them since the beginning. There is something wrong with your friends phone, I have never had that kind of problem.

Oh, I am ATT too. My only gripe is battery power.
  6. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received

How many GB plan do you guys have?

Here is what I referring to

http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-B...ar-data-charges-while-using-wifi/td-p/3325005

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348072?start=645&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4386565?start=645&tstart=0
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,210 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    One line is unlimited data (grandfathered in) and the other two lines are 3 GB. There is 3 days left on my current cycle and I have 2.5 GB remaining, so I only used .5 GB this month and I surf the net often on my phone. My phone is always set to connect to my WiFi when able and I never turn that option off.
  8. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    I have a 1 GB share everything plan. I am new to verizon. Switched over as soon as the iPhone 5 came out on pre order day. I have only used 75 Mb on this billing cycle so far. And it's been about 10 days. I hardly ever go over 250 MB for the month. I always leave LTE, cellular, wifi, and location services on. I never turn my phone off. On this plan I do have unlimited talk and text.
  9. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,195 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    when you open the apps, they stay open even though you click to close them they are still running. You have to double click the main button at the bottom of phone and the screen will slide up and show you waht is still open then you have to hold one of the apps for a few seconds and they start to wiggle and a red circle appears at the corner of the apps, then you click that to close them.

Its possible your friend is constantly running several internet apps all the time.

I was told this runs down the battery and uses up data.
  10. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if there are any others with this phone.

My thing is: I think it is ridiculous to think that you could us 4GB of data in 10 days by apps running in background, etc. Add the fact they are a light cell phone user.

Makes no sense.
  11. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,195 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    Maybe it is just an error. I would call AT&T and ask questions about the data usage and then take the phone back to the place you purchsed it ask them questions. May need to swap it for another phone.

I use AT&T and have 3 i4s phones on a family plan - no problems at all like what you are mentioning.
  12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    Thank you, I did not know that and all mine have been open since I've had the phone.
  13. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    From my experience data providers count data in very different ways. My sprint mobile hot spot that displays the data usage as I use it gobbles data. My T-Mobile phone uses a tenth of the same bandwidth to accomplish the same tasks. I tested this using watching a couple of shows on netflix. The picture quality and response to commands was the same but Sprint showed ten times the amount of data being consumed.

I think the problem is with LTE. It is not a very efficient means to transfer data compared to other systems available.

Redvolution...Your are getting hosed. Open apps should not consume anywhere near that amount of data. Download a data tracking app that tells you how much data you are really using and what programs are using it.
  14. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    My friend had called AT&T and they automatically gave a $60 credit and then alot of answers as to why the data consumption was so high in such a short period of time. The answers were, in more details but the gist was "everything uses data". They seemed like they get these calls all the time and that the "cookie cutter response" was give them $60 credit and explain how anything and everything uses data and suggest to increase their plan.

I KID YOU NOT - that is what happened on CS call.

Its actually my friends iphone5 on At&t (mine is on verizon - I dont see same problems with mine)

So, we turned off the following:

Cellular data
    LTE
    Diagnostics usage
    Genius
    Loc Based iAds

After 12 hours = 142mb sent and 3.2mb received

So now we turned on cellular data

After 24 hours we will see what happens

After that - turn LTE back on see what happens?
  15. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    While we are still testing the above post steps.

My friend just got this alert!

////////

Data Usage Alert - Nearing Plan Limit: Data Usage = 5888 MB (1/28/13)

As of this morning 7:55 a.m. AT&T is telling me that I have used 5888MB since
    1/22/2013!!!! Are you kidding me????

///////

I repeat they are purposely not using the phone. Very, very minimal and this is still happening???
  16. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Wow...That is a lot of adult videos!

I wish I could help. iPhone's are very closed systems. I would take it to ATT and have them run diagnostics on it.

"My Data Manager" is a free data monitor app from the app store that should help you track down the out of control program.
  17. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Lol... Bt seriously they are purposely not using the phone and watching data get consumed. They are going back to AT&T tomorrow.

In 5 hours the phone used 550mb. Never used. Just on after a factory reset to the new 6.1 update(previous version 6.0.2)

This is madness.
  18. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received

We have the same problem. Both the wife and I. In both cases there seems to be an email that just keeps downloading and downloading, and it sucks up the data. Be sure to go into your mail settings and look to see if there is anything downloading. You have to delete the email. Chances are, that is the problem.
  19. REDVOLUTION

24,721 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Thank you... someone who has had the same problem.

We just downloaded the 6.1 update and it seems that is working to resolve the issue.

Its looking like a "carrier" issue. In this case AT& T.

(even email downloading over and over shouldnt consume THAT MUCH DATA.

Fingers crossed :)
  20. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know the IPHONe call home all the time our network guys see the traffic come across our wirless network and they say it is ridiculous how often Iphones call home to apple.