1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Iran and Hostages

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ZB9, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    isnt Iran currently holding 3 American hostages?

they took an American journalist last week, and they are holding two other Americans that are not soldiers or "enemy combatants" of any kind (not to mention that we are not at war with Iran)

why are we not hearing about this on the news? You think Obama might "mention" it
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Because they rate up there with Angelina fasting to lose 20 pounds for her next role...:rolleyes:
  3. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Never heard about this. Any links?
  4. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    edit: looks like I was wrong, there are not 3, there are 5. Here is a story about the four, before the Iranian-American journalist was taken recently

but I used the wrong term when I said "hostages". They are prisoners.

at the very least, we should be hearing more about this in the MSM.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/10/AR2007071000486.html
  5. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Probably because they are of Iranian descent and hold dual citizenship.

If they were white and American born, there would have been far greater media coverage.

Just saying, as a non-white, non-American born citizen (since I was 4, but whatever) I wouldn't expect the same media coverage as my white friends if we were both held hostage. (For the same reason that a black child that goes missing won't expect the same coverage as a rich white girl who goes missing... but now I'm just way off course :p:)
  6. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope that's not the reason. That would be ****ed up
  7. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    If they are also Iranian citizens, i believe the Iranian government has every right to detain them just like they would any of their own full citizens. I might be wrong though.
  8. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I know they have a journalist over there...the way the media is behaving,they can keep her.
  9. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yes but it's the situations surrounding some of their "detainment" and the detainees' families' reactions that is fishy imo...the reason they gave for the journalist being jailed recently was supposedly something like "she is a spy"

anyway, i probably exaggerated, but I just found it weird that we havent heard much at all about this in the news. Im curious.