1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Iran Snubs Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jordan55, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's amazing how more effective Obama's foriegn policy is over former President Bush. Humble ourselves admit we are international thugs and our enemies will forgive us and everything will fall in to place in the perfect world.:bow:

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's supreme leader said Friday that world powers had been persuaded they could not block Iran's nuclear progress — making no mention of a new-year's message sent by President Obama to his country, Reuters reported.

Neither Ayatollah Ali Khamenei nor Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad noted Obama's attempt to make a "new beginning" with their country in recorded messages they issued to mark the Iranian New Year.

Obama released the video Friday to coincide with the Iranian festival of Nowruz, which marks the arrival of spring. In the video, Obama says the U.S. is prepared to end the strained relations if Tehran tones down its combative rhetoric.

"This process will not be advanced by threats. We seek instead engagement that is honest and grounded in mutual respect," Obama said.

A press adviser to Iran's president downplayed the video, saying "minor changes will not end the differences."

Ali Akbar Javanfekr told the Iranian state-run English-language Press TV satellite station that Iran will never forget U.S. meddling in Tehran's affairs. The two countries broke off relations after the 1979 Islamic revolution.
  2. irvin4evs

irvin4evs Benched

573 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, a lot going on there.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,205 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    The world thinks less of us because of Bush!

Less Hollywood opinion, more commen sense please.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Maybe we sent them some DVDs they couldn't play and they are pissed.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,205 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received

You could be right. Maybe we sent then a copy of Debbie Does Tehran and this is, in large part, frustration over the fact they don't have the necessary equipment to play the movie.

:laugh2:
  6. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No we only do that to our allies, so as to gain their admiration and to show them how much we appreciate their sacrifaces in supporting us in this misunderstanding (Can not say war on terror any more) with our Muslim critics.
  7. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any of you guys check to see if Obama's speech went out on Al Jazeera?

I didn't think so.

You are flat wrong if you believe that Obama's speech wasn't listened to, with much interest, in the Arab world.
  8. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,070 Messages
    486 Likes Received

You can have plenty of interest and not like something. Im sure they had lots of interest, only to reshove it back down Obamas throat. They always have interest in what our military says, how good has that gone over with them.
  9. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wall Street Journal

Iran Warily Welcomes Obama's Message

By CHIP CUMMINS

DUBAI -- Iranian officials and citizens cautiously welcomed President Barack Obama's surprise new-year greeting Friday, saying the gesture needed to be backed up by further action.

In comments carried early Friday by Iran's semi-official Press TV, President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad's press adviser, Ali-Akbar Javanfekr, was quoted by AFP as saying Iran's government "won't show its back" to Mr. Obama if the U.S. follows its warm words with action. But he also conditioned better relations on the U.S. recognizing and repairing "past mistakes."

The comments echoed previous, lukewarm government reaction to Mr. Obama's diplomatic offensive. Last month, Mr. Ahmedinejad welcomed Mr. Obama's offer of direct talks between the two countries, but conditioned dialogue with significant changes in U.S. policy toward Tehran.

Mr. Obama sent a videotaped message Friday to the people of Iran marking the celebration of Nowruz, a Persian holiday signaling the arrival of spring and marking the Iranian new year. He said in his message that the festivities could represent a "new day" in relations between Washington and Tehran, if Iran's leadership seized on his overtures for engagement.

Earlier this year, Iran responded coldly to quiet U.S. diplomatic gestures, while publicly projecting defiance. Crucially, Tehran has repeated it isn't willing to halt its nuclear program, a key demand of the West. Last month, Iran raised fresh alarms by sending a satellite into space, demonstrating sophisticated rocket-launching technology -- the same know-how used to develop long-range missiles.

Since then, Washington has invited the Iranian government to an international conference on Afghanistan, to be held in the Netherlands later this month. U.S. diplomats are also joining Iranian diplomats at a Russian conference on Central Asia next week in Moscow.

Everyday Iranians, who began on Friday a two-week-long holiday marking Nowruz, seemed also to take the president's message in stride.

"It was a good comment," says Najaf Pezeshkian, a senior adviser to one of Iran's biggest, private oil-services companies. He was vacationing outside of Tehran with his family for the holiday.

But Mr. Pezeshkian said his own and other Iranians' enthusiasm for the latest outreach by Washington will be tempered by years of hostility between the two nations.

"This dialogue should continue," he said, but "you have to keep repeating it."
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    i'm sure they giggled merrily as they listened.

do you really think if we try to work with them they'll suddenly be nice people? there's a reason there's always conflict in that part of the world whether we're there or not.

can we quit putting the responsibility of the world upon our shoulders as if we just behave better it will all be ok and with love?
  11. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    you are aware that the only time they "listen" is to find out how to beat you, right?

can you show me where in the past talks have worked? made progress? been effective?
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,205 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    I have to agree with the others Zero.

Listening to the speech does not necessarily mean they are in agreement or even care about any overtures.

Heck, they watched the Towers burn as well. It does't necessarily mean anything.
  13. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Iran Warms to Obama Appeal for Better Relations

By Edward Yeranian
    Cairo
    20 March 2009

President Obama's videotaped message to the Iranian people calling for better relations between the US and Iran has ordinary Iranians talking, capturing center stage on the day Iranians celebrate as their time-honored new year.

Iranian government TV carried a traditional New Year's greeting from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad calling it the day of the "rebirth of love, friendship, and aspiration," but it was President Obama's message that captured many people's attention.

Mr. Ahmedinejad's press advisor Ali-Akbar Javanfekr noted that Iran "welcomes" President Obama's call for better relations, but tempered his remarks with criticism of past U.S. policies towards Iran, in addition to calling for "concrete" actions from Mr. Obama.

"Mr. Obama has talked of change, but has taken no practical measures to redress America's past mistakes in Iran," he said. "If Mr. Obama takes a concrete action and makes fundamental changes to U.S. foreign policy towards other nations, including Iran, the Iranian government and people will not turn their back on him. Mr. Obama has referred to differences between Iran and the US. We believe that those differences stem from Washington's hostile policy towards Iran. Minor changes will not end the differences."

Younger Iranians who grew up after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, have always lived in an atmosphere of hostility towards the United States, which is often referred to in government discourse as the "Great Satan."

Nima Abasi, a businessman in Tehran, sounded encouraged by the prospect of improved ties with the United States, saying it would be a positive development.

"The best choice is if two people want to talk over something, if there are no middlemen and if they are friendly, then there will be respect from both sides. This could be very good," he said.

Reza Hedayat, a young man who was out shopping, was also encouraged by President Obama's message.

"If the Americans truly have honest intentions, we should have relations and be friends with everyone … Friendly and commercial ties will have more benefit for both Iran and America," he said.

Pirouz Mojtahed-zadeh, professor of geography at Tehran's Tarbiat Modarres University, told Iran's Press TV that he was optimistic relations with the United States would improve.

"We will have to understand Obama's position. He has started a change not only in respect to Iran, but in America's foreign policies, on the background of belligerent policies of the previous [US] government … This might sound, somehow, an optimistic view of the situation, but do we have other alternative but to be optimistic? And with our optimism we assist Obama to fulfill his promises," he said.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana arrives for an EU summit in Brussels, 20 Mar 2009European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana, speaking outside EU headquarters in Brussels, also expressed optimism over President Obama's overture towards Iran, amid an ongoing standoff over Tehran's nuclear activities.

"I'm very pleased after having heard the message. I think that it was a very constructive message. I think that, I hope very much, that Iranians will take good attention to what has been said by President Obama. I hope that that will open a new chapter in the relations with Tehran," he said.

President Obama's appeal to Iran goes further than remarks made during a January press conference, when he urged Tehran and other U.S. foes to "unclench their fists." The United States and Iran have a long history of tensions, which have been made worse in recent years by Western suspicions about Tehran's nuclear program and its support for militant Islamic groups such as Hezbollah and Hamas.

But despite the tensions, the Obama administration has expressed a growing willingness to work with Iran. The United States recently invited Tehran to attend an international conference on Afghanistan, scheduled for March 31.
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

In other words, if the new president will kiss our collective arses we may not choose to attack them with our nukes.

What a bunch of screw ups.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,205 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    If this were an article from an Iranian source, then I think the point would be much stronger. This is the opinion of an Egyption source. Not really the same Zero.
  16. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    so if i find and post an article that says the "talks" are useless, are they?

you're pushing one side and missing the bigger picture.
  17. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Appeasers feed the crocodiles in hopes the crocodiles will eat them last.
  18. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    heh and it never dawns on them food is food to a croc.
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    As much as I rail on about Iran, I don't have a problem with our government taking a civil tone in an attempt to normalize relations with them. We talk to them anyway, it's just never on the public level of operations.

There's a lot to Iran that goes unnoticed in the instinct to lump them in with the 'Crazy Arab' stereotype - even though they are not Arabs.

Their population of regular citizens is really something to admire. They, like all of us have their extremes and some of their laws are nuts, but really, in the end, I'd rather have a working relationship with Iran than Saudi Arabia. Persians don't subjugate themselves for monetary gain and I can respect that more than a grinning lap dog, latched to the tit of the almighty dollar.

I am pissed about a lot of Iran's actions and I do go on about how we should handle them, I'm also not a fan of Obama at all and I'm not sure where he's at with this stunt, but maybe a radical idea of approaching this long standing conflict is needed.

There's always compromise in a conflict. in the end, if they do bite the hand of true reconciliation, we'd be justified in hitting them back in a very militarily transparent fashion.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,115 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received