1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Iranian TV shows downed US drone

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Iranian TV has shown the first video footage of an advanced US drone aircraft that Tehran says it downed near the Afghan border.

Images show Iranian military officials inspecting the RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft which appears to be undamaged.

US officials have acknowledged the loss of the unmanned plane, saying it had malfunctioned.

However, Iranian officials say its forces electronically hijacked the drone and steered it to the ground.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says the intact condition of the Sentinel tends to support their claim.

Iran's Press TV said that the Iranian army's "electronic warfare unit" brought down the drone on 4 December as it was flying over the city of Kashmar, about 140 miles (225km) from the Afghan border.

Complete Story
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,931 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    It would be funny if we had bugging devices in this drone along with explosives. Just waiting for Ahmadinejad to come inspect it. :laugh2:
  3. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm surprised it's not loaded with explosives that would detonate if it went down.

If a helicopter goes down, the generally blow the thing up rather than just leaving it there.
  4. Doomsday101

74,931 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    I agree. You would think especially an unmanned craft like this one, would have some self destruct device on them in cases like this.

It would be funny though if this was rigged by the US to take out Ahmadinejad.

Operation Trojan Horse. :laugh2:
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    *BOOOM* haha I kill you
  6. Doomsday101

74,931 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    I need a job with the CIA. :laugh2:
  7. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,273 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I think it is a fake. And by that I mean I think the U.S. purposely built a special drone without all the workings of a real spy drone and landed it in Iran. The purpose was just to make the Iranians waste time studying something you can find in any neighborhood hobby shop.
  9. Doomsday101

74,931 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    But you can get rocket launchers at the Army/Navy Surplus store. :laugh2:
  10. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,004 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I doubt it. Though if the Iranians were able to electronically commendeer it, that's a major flaw, and would probably attest a major design screw up. Certainly, the Chinese and Russians are going to get a nice look at it. If nothing else just so the Iranian govt can thumb their nose at us.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It seems a bit different right now w/ how the US is handling the situation. They aren't requesting anything from the Iranians, they are just confirming....

Yep thats our drone.

Its almost like they want them to have it. It looks more like a recon drone than an ordinance drone like we are used to seeing on tv.

Something just seems odd about this whole sitation atm. Its like the Iranians were supposed to get that B2 mock-up drone.

Iran claims they hacked it and brought it down. The US isn't even disputing that either.

That would be awesome. Sit tight until Alabamabad comes by and BOOM!

That would be perfect.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    How much does China pay for it?

50 million yuan?
  13. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You certainly missed your calling. That's brilliant. One can only hope.

Oh by the way, if this happens in the next day or two, your cover is blown.

:D
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    it is interesting that no one at the DOD or anywhere else seems to be particularly worried about this. Not like the concern shown with the helicopter downed getting Osama. And I really have to laugh at the idea that the Iranians hacked it; not very likely. Those idiots are still trying to figure out how we hacked their nuclear centrifuges.
  15. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,853 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The CIA appears taking a beating over there lately. If this is not intentional then it is a disturbing trend.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I would guess that China built it anyway . There is no level of security when it comes to outsourcing .
  17. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,004 Messages
    126 Likes Received
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    that as usual is over blown. They did not get the really important stuff; and we have been pretty good at disinformation as well.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    Supposedly they hacked the thing and took control?

A) How did they see it to begin with?

B) How did they get into the system?

C) How did they prevent the US from doing the same thing?

Do they even have drones? Iran, do the have these type of vehicles? If not, I'm supposed to believe they were able to crack in and fly the thing safely to the ground without issue? Beginners luck I suppose.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the technology that Iran has but it just seems highly unlikely they could have pulled that off while blocking the US from taking control right back.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,485 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware we were building engineless drones that looked like cream-colored B2 Spirits now.