1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Iraqi forces restricting US military

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Aug 26, 2009.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Associated Press - August 25, 2009 7:45 AM ET

BAGHDAD (AP) - An Iraqi military commander is comparing new restrictions on U.S. forces to "house arrest," saying they can no longer patrol freely as in the past.

Col. Ali Fadhil, a brigade commander in Baghdad, was commenting Monday following the completion of the U.S. military withdrawal from urban areas on June 30. He cited one occasion when Iraqi troops turned down a U.S. request to conduct a raid in the capital, and did it themselves instead.

Fadhil says the Americans are now confined to what he calls "prison-like" bases. The arrangement stems from a security agreement that requires all U.S. troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=10985091&nav=menu439_2

I have heard this from some commanders I know as well.

I (and they) have a feeling that this is gonna turn into a problem.

2. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,110 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah...Their problem...
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I thought this is what we wanted? For them to take over their country? Why would our troops have full reign to do as they please in someone elses country?
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Well they are finding out its a lot harder then their senior officers thought it was. Too bad. They wanted it - they got it.
    The old saying be careful for what you wish for since you may get it holds here.
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Screw them. Lets bring our guys and gals home. The middle east is a complete **** hole.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Like it or not, it's time for American Forces to pull back and start rotating out. This is the directive the President has given so it's only prudent to reorganize defenses to protect Iraqi boarders as opposed to continue to endanger American lives in urban police keeping efforts.

It is what it is.

I thank all our forces for getting Iraq to a point where their own military forces can act like pompus ***** towards us without getting taken out back of the palace and getting their heads cut off.

Job well done troops. Thank you.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    That's the spirit.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    They have been killing each other for centuries and will continue to do so. ABQ is correct. Great job by our guys. Now is the time to say goodbye to the ungrateful SOB's.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I don't see it as them being pompous...I see it as them finally getting up and doing the job they are supposed to do instead of having us do it for them.

To me this is a Good thing.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Except for the fact they are refusing to carry out missions, you would be correct.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    They can do or not do what ever the heck they want. We tend to forget that we made a big show of saying we went to war with Iraq to liberate them (after the other excuses failed)...now that they are running the show people complain. It is comical.

So basically they can be liberated, have elections and we tout that as good, unless we can no longer have our say. Did you and others really use the liberate them excuse or did you really just want a puppet government and army so we can stay there and do as we wish?

Just because they don't do as we might want them to do, they have to do what they deem is right and take over...good or bad.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    so back to my first point. Bring them home.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I have been saying that for a long...LOOOOONG time.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    What does "they", mean? You want to throw everyone on an entire section of the world into one tidy box that you can neatly hate, then feel free, but that kind of hatred isn't so different from those you hate in return.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    We are not bringing them home. We are redirecting the objective. We will now be focused on securing the boarders and keeping their government safe from unfriendlys. We can't save them from theselves, of course, but we are not going anywhere for a long time. However, I do believe that forces need to be rotated out of Iraq. We have little choice at this point.
  16. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received

What in the world are you talking about? I am not sure if you are purposely trying to distort my point, or what your deal is.

My point is simply that middle eastern countries/factions/religious sects have been slaughtering each other for a long time. If we are there or not does not matter. They will continue to murder each other. That is all.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I got it the first time and I agree.
  18. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Are they refusing to carry out missions? I'm not sure that the information presented is stating that. Is there more information regarding that?