1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ireland notable attendee at QB Stanton pro day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 14, 2007.

1. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Or the infamous "deer in the headlights" look the first time something went wrong.

Other Big 10 teams knew going into games against MSU that almost no matter what happened, Stanton would find a way to allow them back into the game.

Some players seem to be winners for no reason at all and some seem to be losers despite all the ability in the world. I don't know why but he's underachieved his entire career.
  2. philo beddoe

philo beddoe Benched

1,895 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Remember when Danny White used to get that look in his eyes?
  3. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ya me too, I'd rather have Beck.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,915 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    that would be a millen move.....pass on one of the top QBs, most likely the consensus "sure thing" in quinn just so they could take another player.
  5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,372 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Where else has Ireland been? Has Phillips gone to any pro days? Does anyone track our scouts?
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,043 Messages
    1,599 Likes Received
    Ireland and Phillips were both at the Combine and now seem to be doing their homework on 2nd day players and UDFA. I would think most of the big name players most teams have a lot of info on right now.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    I think Stanton is a case in which you really have to look at his total body of work and not just his Sr. year. Physically, this is a first round talent. He has a big time arm and exceptional agility for the position. What's more, he understands how to use that agility at the QB position. IE, he just doesn't run around. He can throw on the run very well. I like Stanton as a development QB a lot. However, I like Beck better. I think Beck is further along and I think he's less expensive. The final package may be better with Stanton if you look at upside but right now, I think Beck is the better value.
  8. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Factor in age (26 vs 23) and upside and I take Stanton.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    Well, wouldn't argue with that assesment either. I like Stanton's physical abilities a lot. His decision making is an issue, for me, but physically, he's as good as Russell or Quinn IMO. He has the skills to be a pretty good QB in the NFL if he can be developed IMO.
  10. philo beddoe

philo beddoe Benched

1,895 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's hope we land Beck, brother.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,152 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    Stanton always made the big mistakes late in the game. He makes Bledsoe look like Tom Brady.
  12. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Everything was on his shoulders at MSU.

No talent around him.

A lot like the Cutler situation at Vandy.

When you have the 88th ranked D you're going to be facing an uphill battle every week.
  13. burmafrd

41,152 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    Actually there was a fair amount of talent at MSu- just lousy coaching.
    His tendency to throw stupid picks is on him and no one else.
  14. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Name one that will be starting in the NFL next year/ever.

If you are behind you HAVE to try and make plays, even if that means forcing it sometimes.
  15. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,372 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    When Ireland went to look at Stanton did he take a radar gun? Is that too much like baseball? I've seen mph on qbs but not anything like 40 times.
  16. burmafrd

41,152 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    I watched about 6-7 MSU games over the last two years- and what I saw was a QB that when the game was on the line he threw picks- many of them stupid picks. ANd he did that quite often when he was NOT being pressured.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is a typical way to lose for MSU though, you can't hang that all on Stanton.
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    don't sleep on Jeff Rowe
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    If he can learn the mechanics of being a pocket QB, I think your absolutly correct. He has a very strong arm and good mobility. He's pretty accurate too but he played out of a spread offense and he is not very exact in his drops. Not efficiant from under the center. He has all the rest but he will have to really relearn how to play QB. Excellent 6th or 7th round type developmental player IMO. I'd be pissing myself if he signed with us for nothing but I doubt that happens.
  20. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,422 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Are we sleeping on people again?