1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Irvin: Colts' 'horseshoe was garbage without Peyton'

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by irvin88, Jan 31, 2012.

1. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Irvin: Colts' 'horseshoe was garbage without Peyton'

"I don't think it's in a good interest to paint the horseshoe in a negative light," Irsay said. "He's such a big part of that and everything else, but the horseshoe always comes first."

NFL Network analyst Michael Irvin thinks Irsay needs a reminder of where the horseshoe (a reference to the Colts' logo) was before Manning's arrival as the No. 1 overall pick of the 1998 draft.

"Whatever understanding we have of what Irsay called 'the horseshoe' is Peyton Manning," said Irvin. "The horseshoe is first? The horseshoe is nothing before Peyton got here. You could've taken that horseshoe, and you couldn't have given it away. It wasn't lucky, it was killing you."The Colts had been in Indianapolis 14 years prior to Manning's arrival. They reached postseason three times, had five winning seasons but never won as many as 10 regular-season games. With Manning over the next 14 seasons, including 2011 when he didn't play a down due to his neck injury? Eleven playoff trips (all coming in seasons with a minimum of 10 victories), two Super Bowl appearances and one title. The team last reached the Super Bowl following the 1970 season, back in the Baltimore days when Hall of Famer Johnny Unitas was the man under center.

"This horseshoe was garbage without Peyton -- it was garbage when he got here and garbage when he left here this season," said Irvin.

Read more: http://content.usatoday.com/communi...orseshoe-was-garbage-without-peyton-manning/1
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I agree with what irvin is saying I also understand that Irsay has a big choice to make. Latest report on Manning condition is not very good and in the meantime the Colts either pay up 28 million to Peyton and hope he can make a comeback at age 35 or they move on in a different direction with Luck.

You better have the interest of your team 1st when making this choice.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,551 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received
    The NFL is a business. Peyton is the past, Luck is the future. That's just the way it is and will always be.
  4. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    I'm sure it will be. I'm also sure that it will not go over well with some colt fans and no doubt for Luck taking over for a QB like Peyton will come with a ton of pressure.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    He's right but it doesn't change the fact that they've got to make decisions based on business and not on loyalty and how much they care about their 35 year old QB.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    Kinda cool that the Colts will have both the horseshoe and a QB named 'luck.' There should be some marketing potential there if there ever was anyplace.
  7. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Of course they do. Again those will be some big shoes Luck will have to fill and a ton of pressure he will have placed on him because of it.

Never easy taking over for a Legend
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,551 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received
    The same was said about Joe Montana and Brett Favre. Fans will be upset initially, then they'll get over it.
  9. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    As long as Luck does the job. It was hard on Steve Young until he got the monkey off his back, Rodgers was able to help GB right away and that eases the pain of losing one of your all time players.

There is no doubt Colts have to do what they have to do and I'm sure many fans understand it but it never makes it easy.
  10. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    fans always get upset, but the winning helps. Fans dont even care what the person does off the field as long as they help the team win. Thats how ugly its gotten. They will boo and hiss and scream bloody murder, the first win you'll hear them all proclaim they were backing him from the get go. Like fish out of water.