1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Irvin still has it

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Afigueroa22, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
  3. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I want to know how many McNuggets Joe Flacco ordered on his last trip to McDonalds.
  4. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

426 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I love this show! Look forward to it now every draft season. I think this is its third year. Michael Irvin was great helping out the receivers the last two years.
  5. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Irvin is still ripped.
  6. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

6,990 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Loved his comments on the 40 yard dash.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,611 Messages
    3,344 Likes Received
    That was very interesting wasn't it.
  8. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very true. Everyone sweats 40 times, but it doesn't necessarily translate on the football field.
  9. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    great player and a true leader who outworked everyone but his personal life has always tainted him in my eyes--and I don't like him as a commentator
  10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,908 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    I agree about the 40...there is also the thing with "football speed" and 40 speed. Jerry Rice ran a what...4.71 I believe? The guy never seemed to be caught in pads on the field. He was fluid in and out of cuts. Michael looks like he could walk out and play right now.
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,674 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    Straight line speed helps you a few big plays per game and occasionally it opens underneath routes, but quickness helps you almost every play either directly or indirectly via the running game. That is why receivers like Beasley get roster spots. They are short and not overly fast either due to natural limitations or their height's impact on their stride span, but they are very quick and shifty. When you watch some of the game's best tall receivers and then see a short slot receiver on the field make a play, you think that short receiver is so fast when in reality, the tall receiver would likely beat them easily in a straight-line 40 time.

That is something else that is great about watching football. There may be "prototypes" for positions, but there are always exceptions and alternatives that are fun to watch. We saw it this last year at quarterback with RG3 and Wilson. I like that some teams mix it up with their roster to combine both big and fast with short and quick skill players. It helps make games more interesting and provides a good balance that keeps defenses from all migrating to the same style of defense and types of players.

/reality
  12. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

648 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I wonder if he still puts water in his Cereal.
  13. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,241 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    He's an inspiration to us all:star:
  14. ilykdrama

ilykdrama Active Member

337 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    Mike Irvin's the man. Such massive respect for that guy. Where he's been and the fact that he uses it for motivation. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and shaking that huge bear paw of his. Nice guy. Glad to see he's having success later in life.