1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is age the main reason some on here don't want Kiffin?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dragon_mikal, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,737 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    If so there are a lot of adults on this site that need to grow up. My grandfather is 70 years old and I go to him for advice because his life experience shows me he knows what the hell he is talking about. I think Kiffin knows how to run a successful defense and I really don't see what age has to do with it.

Is he a long term solution? No.

Do I care? Not if his presense improves this defense.

If this is who Jerry and Garrett want I will wait and reserve judgement until I see the results of the hire for myself. Personally I think it would be an upgrade over Rob Ryan.

There are other things some on here could be doing than crying about a potential DC candidate being old.:rolleyes:
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    He has not been good in 5 years. I do not like this at all. That and we spent $50m dollars and our top 2 picks getting top notch press man corners that don't get maximized in a cover 2 scheme.

I hate it and I think I have officially turned 100% against Jerry Jones.
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,298 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    On top of the holes we already had on roster (S, 3 OL, RB, pass rush), this creates more do to change in scheme.
  4. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

690 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,040 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    welcome to the club
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Asking Kiffin for advice is one thing. Asking Kiffen to hold his water for 3 hours is another.
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    lol, can you really compare the college game to the NFL?? This guy has proven he can run a successful defense at the NFL level...
  8. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,737 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Schematically speaking it does present challenges...my point was that of the many reasons you could use to express your dislike towards the hiring of Kiffin age should be far down the list. Not trying to imply that you did so...just generally speaking.

I'd rather have Kiffin be brought in as DC than see Turner brought in to be OC.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    Not in the last 5 years he has not. His team fell apart his last year in the NFL.

While I cannot completely discount the idea that he could rediscover his magic here, asking for a guy thats been away from the pro-game for 4 years to be successful is a horrible risk.

It's poor management in a league where innovation wins.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The last time he coached in the NFL he had a Top 10 scoring defense. This is with Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, John Lynch, Booger McFarland, Simeon Rice either long past their expiration date or already put out to pasture.

I don't give a flip what he did in colllege against Air Raid offenses with crazy wide hash marks and clocks that automatically stop after every first down with a bunch of 19 year olds. If we're evaluating coaches based off what they do in college, might as well hire Mike Leach, Dana Holgrenson or Chris Ault to run our offense.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    In a way I kind of care. We play Washington twice and their system isn't a traditional offense...more college like. Many teams do this now. From his last stint until now the league had turned into a passing league. Look at the teams running no huddles. So it does make a little difference.

I spoke with 2 massive Bears fans in my office today. Both repeated the same thing...to play the Tampa 2 or a version of it you need safeties who are top notch and who don't make mistakes. We don't have anything close to that and the Bears struggled some without them at times. We also have 2 corners that don't fit the system. If he wants to run a different version with what we have..fine..but that seems like going away from what he knows best. These are the things that worry me most. It just seems like an odd choice.
  12. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Active Member

200 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    It actually makes it better. Were not gonna be able to resign Spencer... so a 4-3 is easier. This really could be a good setup:

Carter - Lee - Albright
    Ware - Hatcher - Ratliff(Lissemore) - Crawford

Plus Tampa 2 is a press and run system its not an off cover 2. The corners press and bail so its not too bad they can still be physical. It is scary though, but ol Dickie boy in Pittsburgh is older and he's still great. Some coaches work in the college ranks but not NFL. Maybe kiffin is meant for the pros. Idk.
  13. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I wonder if there is a stat out there that has added up the # of interceptions in zone defense vs. man-to-man coverage.

I'd bet my life that there are more turnovers produced in zone coverage due to the fact that the secondary can get better jumps on passes.

Everyone has been itching and moaning about being 31st in the league in INTs..well there you have it...
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,741 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    He'll fit right in with Garrett, who failed before being a head coach. Garrett is one lucky man, I'll tell ya.
  15. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,468 Messages
    2,324 Likes Received
    The issue with this team is not necessarily changing out the defense. As someone said earlier in this thread, this put a premium on new player4s, which shoves the offensive line further down the pecking order for repair.

I don't care if it is Kiffin.

What I care about is solving the issue that has wounded this team for two years now and that is an offensive line that cannot protect nor open holes.

With a competent offensive line this year Chicago and Seattle would not have been devastating and Dallas would have been in the play-offs.

Even with the walking wounded on defense.

This is Jerry knee-jerking and swinging at one in the dirt.
  16. The Realist

3,298 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    We have one legit pass rush and no real DT's for 4-3. How does that make it better? What do Hatcher/Ratliff/Lissemore with good 4-3 DT's?

This is my worst nightmare.

Actually that comes when Red is fired and Jerry hires Zimmer.
  17. The Realist

3,298 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I don't care about his age cuz I'd take Lebeau in a heartbeat.

Trying to get these guys to fit 4-3 is like making Al Singleton and Dat Nguyen 3-4 backers.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Kiffin doesn't necessarily mean "Cover-2".
  19. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol.....No.....the main reason is because he would be a Cowboy.....and anyone who becomes a Cowboy automatically sucks......if you read more threads here you would know this....

most of these people *****in wanted Lovie Smith, and wanted to go back to 4-3, and all salivate at the Seahawks and Bears Defenses....all things that Kiffin specializes in....
    they are mad because they think our corners are better suited playing man, Kiffin says he will allow our CBs to work their strengths....now the complaining is "then why bring Kiffin in, total FAIL"......

there is nothing that would make the hoards happy....they just cant wait for a new owner and GM so they can hate them too.....IGS at its finest
  20. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,177 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    It does mean 4-3 and a greater reliance on safeties and DLinemen we don't really have.