1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,329 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I really don't think we can afford to miss on this pick. Brockers scares me to death. I'm not a big fan of taking a 3-4 DE in round 1 unless they can contribute as a pass rusher. Brockers is not that guy. MAYBE he can be someday but to me the risk is too high in round 1.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Wouldn't draft him even at 45. He has no upside.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,597 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    I don't get why he even is thought of as such a high first round pick. Look at how people who look at his games and the combine numbers, he lacks explosion.
  4. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    He's too risky for me at #14.

I might consider him if they trade down, maybe to #22 with Cleveland, as I think he does have some upside. But if he doesn't reach the upside, you don't want him any higher than that, as he will be, at best, a Marcus Spears clone (who we took at #20).
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,715 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Too risky for me.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,677 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    The Cowboys will pick him before they pick Decastro so start getting used to Brockers.
  7. theogt

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Doubtful.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    you absolutely hate him, lol..everyone on the planet has a different opinion on brockers than you do..

i respect your opinion..itll be fun seeing how it turns out
  9. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    i dont think so

i think its

barron
    decastro
    trade down
    poe
    brockers
  10. theogt

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    It's only because I've never seen anyone like him be successful in the NFL. If there were a player I could draw comparisons to, it'd be different. But there have been better prospects, much better, fail.
  11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,321 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    No risk at all...no chance of bust.

Immediately effective in our rotation at DE.
    Moves to T in nickle.
    He does more than hold his ground and take on double teams.

Brockers is going to pay dividends for many years for the team that drafts him.
  12. theogt

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    If they took him out of the nickel package in college, no chance he plays in it in the NFL.
  13. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I will say that this is a bit misleading, even though I'm not the guy's biggest fan. LSU plays a strict D-line rotation, and no one is exempt from it. So there were times when he rotated off the field and it had nothing to do with his ability or inability, but rather was attributable to their concept of keeping players fresh.

Again, I'm not in the guy's camp, and I don't know that he could rush from the middle in four-man fronts. But LSU does things a certain way, and that played at least some part in whether or not he was on the field.
  14. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,321 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Wrong...he's better than anyone we have at DT beside Ratliff. Our nickle is 4-man front...he'll be right beside Rat.

Time will tell...I just think you're totally wrong on him. He'll be a first rounder, but if he'd played another year and come out at 21, he'd be rated even higher. Best DL on LSU by a landslide for a very good defense.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,239 Likes Received
    I am NOT a fan of drafting Brockers at 14 so don't think this post/link is an indication of me liking him...just a link/post that relates to your post about another player...

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012mbrockers.php

Player Comparison: Marcus Stroud. Coming out of LSU, Brockers' game reminds me of Stroud's. The former Pro Bowler had a 10-year career with some excellent seasons for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Stroud (6-6, 310) was incredibly hard to move at the line of scrimmage and was also a fabulous run defender. He could get some pass rush on occasion, but basically averaged three sacks per season over his 10-year career. I could see Brockers turning into a similar player in the NFL. Stroud was the 13th-overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft while Brockers is more likely to go a little bit later in the first round.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Heres a stat for you guys

Alabama played both Miss St and LSU

Cox was double teamed 8 times
    Brockers was double teamed 42 times
  17. theogt

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Dude, I just watched the first 3 minutes of Cox's Alabama game and saw 9 times he was double teamed. I stopped watching after that. Not sure how you're counting.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    not my stat..just something i came across
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,805 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I don't see anything that Brockers actually does. I don't see it.
  20. theogt

43,929 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Similar height and weight is about where that comparison starts and ends. There are lots of guys with similar height and weight. But I've never seen any of them test so poorly and lack production entirely in college, while succeeding in the NFL.