1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I watched a lot of LSU, and I don't recall seeing him get abused much.

Still, at 14, you hope to get a player with tremendous game-breaking potential, and I don't believe Brockers has that.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Yeah I take that back. Abused was the wrong word. Pushed back, rather
  3. Sonny Koufax

Sonny Koufax Member

238 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I think you're just making things up now. I understand not everyone is wanting him, but why do the majority of the REAL draft guys all high on Brockers and his potential?
    But a bunch of wanna be GM's have determined him to be trash.:bang2: Odds are that Kiper, Mayock, McShay etc are a little more trust worthy. Brockers could be a bust, he could be a star, I don't know. He's not my first choice, but I would be fine with him.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,467 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    pretty much how i feel

Barron
    DeCastro
    Brockers

my top 3

assuming cox is gone
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,127 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    And that's what you want to do with the #14 overall pick?

Roll the dice?

May be a 'star', may be a 'bust'?

Great, I guess it's not the end of the world, with moves like this you'll have a Top 10 or better pick the following year anyway...

:rolleyes:
  6. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I'm guessing you didn't watch much of LSU last season.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,784 Messages
    1,665 Likes Received
    if I had any doubts about not wanting Brockers you just cleared them up.
  8. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,813 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I saw this as well except it said Brockers was double teamed 30 times out of 42 plays.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    If Decastro and Barron were gone, I'd say no. But right now, I'm Barron first, DeCasttro second and likely Brockers third.

assuming there is 0% chance Cox is available
  10. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,467 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Brockers is going to be a beast..

Very hard for me to decide between Brockers and Decastro.

I think ive finally decided that Barron is my top choice
  11. Big Cat

Big Cat Member

42 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not everyone. I have been saying this about Brockers for a while now.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    He doesn't get pushed off the line of scrimmage.

The only thing Brockers hasn't shown is an ability to get after the QB.

Im not for or against Brockers. If we draft him i'll cheer for him.

I just think right now he is our 3rd option and I think the Cowboys will select Decastro as their last resort if Cox, Barron, and Brockers are gone.

The reason I think Decastro is the 4th option is because I think the Cowboys know they will have to get real lucky to get a DL in the 2nd. Interior OL is all through this draft.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,384 Messages
    3,724 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Brocker I just don't feel he is worth a 14th overall. I think there are better players we can get at 14
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    The thing is if we don't take him @ 14 than the Eagles will probably take him at 15.

I think he is probably worth a top 15 pick because of the upside and position he plays.

Honestly though I think this guy is going to be another Chris Canty.
  15. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I dont want him anywhere in the first round. 14 is absurd. At 45 he is worth taking a flyer on him.

He would be a better DT in a 4-3 then a DE in a 3-4.

Tex
  16. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,724 Likes Received
    I wish I could agree with you I have doubts about Brockers. This years draft has not been viewed at a great Defensive front draft. I think there are some good players out there but I see very few that I think will develope into Pro Bowl caliber players.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    2. MICHAEL BROCKERS Louisiana State 6-5 319 5.27 1

He doesn't rush the passer nearly as well as Cox but is a far more effective run stopper. "He's a monster against the run," one scout said. "Throws guys around." Redshirted in 2009, played off the bench in '10 and started in '11 before declaring two years early. "Next year he is easily a top-10 pick," another scout said. "If you get him 10 to 20 now you're going to be doing A-OK. He can play the run today. Difficult to move. Tremendous hand placement. He may not be factor as a rusher with the exception of pushing the pocket and getting his hands up, which is valuable." Has long arms (35) but, somewhat strangely, small hands (9 1/8). "You're hoping you're getting the old days when John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth and Marcus Stroud were in their prime," a third scout said. “That’s what you hope you’re drafting.” Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Hails from Houston.
  18. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,724 Likes Received
    If by chance the Cowboys draft him I can't say I would be thrilled but I will support him and hope he develops into a top player in this league. I have my own views on players and draft picks but I don't act like a Jets fan or eagles fan and boo the player because I have a different view. On Thursday we will get the newest member of the Cowboys and as a fan I will welcome the guy with open arms. My hope is we look to someone else but if not I will hope for the best
  19. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    No one wants to hear that. I admit, I'm luke warm on him, even after film study I think he has a lot of potential I'm just not sure he is what we need right this moment but there are people who get paid a lot more then I do with a lot more experience and have a much more proven track record who say he's a gem and value at 14. I'll take their opinion every time. If I was hearing a few here and there who liked him and the majority was on the fence I might have a different opinion but 9 out 10 GM and Scouts love the kid and what he brings to the table. I'll side with them.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Yeah im not sky high on Brockers or anything. I have a good idea of what he'll be for us and it's not what we need right now but I think we'll be glad we have him down the road.

We could've just Re-Signed Canty a few years back and avoided this though.

We've let our division rivals steal all of our depth on the DL and now we have to use a premium draft pick on it.