1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I'm coming around on this guy BIGTIME!

This guy is exactly what we need on the dline.. What people don't see is that he will collapse the pocket..he isn't going to sack the QB, but he will collapse the pocket and allow other players to penetrate and get to the QB

Still not sure if I want him more than Barron or not
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,497 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    I thought you were always on the Brockers Waggon? Or did you just think we had him rated high?
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    and there are very qualified scouts and such that are not enamored with him as well.

Look how many bought into Jumongus and other top busts.

Nuts look at how many thought Gallery would be a top LT.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I was always on him..but I never had him rated over Barron or Decastro..

I'm starting to think I want him over Decastro..tough *** call between him and Barron
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    [/QUOTE]and there are very qualified scouts and such that are not enamored with him as well.[/QUOTE]

They are the extreme minority

[/QUOTE]Look how many bought into Jumongus and other top busts.

Nuts look at how many thought Gallery would be a top LT.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a huge double edged sword because we can flip it and say that may every well be the case with DeCastro. They can be wrong on him just as well as they can be right on DeCastro.

Sorry about the formatting, damn smart phones.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,479 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    If you're looking for busts on the defensive line, look no further than the Eagles. They've missed with great regularity in that area.

I think that 'upside' and 'Top 15' do not go together.

And where was Canty drafted again?
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,497 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    It's weird because I would take Decastro over Brockers but since DL is so premium and interior OL is not I feel like I can get a really good interior OL in the 2nd if I wanted to.

I feel like if I don't get a DL early than I probably wont get one at all unless I get lucky and a Derek Wolfe is there at 45.

By all accounts your getting a guaranteed run stopper, in the mid teens, who has potential to be a top 5-10 player taken in the draft if he had used all of his college eligibility.

He's only a redshirt sophomore.
  8. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a fair comparison since there was chance Canty would never play due to an eye injury.
  9. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    From what I have seen, the ONLY people that think Michael Brockers has any "bust" potential are "wanna be couch GM's". Everything I have read from current scouts, to respected ex NFL people say that Brockers is among the safest picks with next to no bust potential, because at worst he is a dominate run stuffer that doesn't get much pass rush, but at best he is John Henderson in his prime.
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Basically all I'm trying to say is people need to spend the next 2 days and 10 hours familiarizing themselves with him and getting mentally prepared that he could very well be the pick that way if it happens you half way there, if it don't you can be relieved.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,979 Messages
    2,178 Likes Received
    If Dallas does get him that will be what I hope to see, a guy that can help collapse the pocket so that the QB has no place to step up into.
  12. stasheroo

17,479 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    A fair comparison about a good, not great player.

Unless someone wants to claim that Canty would have been worth the #14 overall pick?
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Brockers profile from THR- I apologize if a repost

Michael has the size, strength and balance to be a potential dominating defensive lineman for the team that drafts him.* He does an excellent job defending against the run and has the strength and mature techniques to rush the passer.* He can play in a 1-gap or 2-gap defense and in multiple fronts.* Right now Michael reminds me of, and plays like, Barry Cofield (DT Washington Redskins) but he has the potential to be a better pass rusher if he slims down a little and plays DE in a 3-4 defense.* Michael is a good tackler and if he is not double-teamed, will change the line of scrimmage and make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.* He is smart and when he can't get to the QB, he will put his hands up in the air and knock the pass down.* Michael is a defensive lineman that can play multiple positions on the line of scrimmage and play them all at a high level. You might have to wait for him to learn the tricks of the trade, but in a few years you should have a core player and a fan favorite to add to your defensive line.
    CONCERNS
    Michael is excellent against the run but will struggle rushing the passer until he learns better techniques and gains better explosion off the line in pass rushing situations.* He could become a dominating lineman if he becomes more than just a two down player. His college team took him off the field in most pass rushing situations during the season.* Michael will also have to work on his physical stamina and get into better football shape.* Slim this kid down to 290 lbs and I think you will see his pass rushing skills come to light.**
    BOTTOM LINE
    There is a lot of upside with Michael.* He has talent and gives excellent effort.* He is smart and is still learning and growing.* I think his impact position is as a DE in a 3-4 defense.* If you draft him and use him in a 4-3 defense as a DT, he will have the same type of impact that Barry Cofield has for the Redskins.* He will be a solid defensive tackle whose strength is playing the run.* Draft him, slim him down and use him as a DE in a 3-4 and this kid could become a Jason Pierre Paul (DE NY Giants) type lineman.* Most 3-4 teams will rate Michael higher than 4-3 teams.* If I were a playoff team and had a 3-4 defense, I would draft Michael in the first round and never look back.* All Michael needs is a little time to work on his conditioning and techniques and the potential for him to dominate will show itself in a year or two.* I have struggled a little bit putting a TBR score on Michael because he is coming out early and I'm not sure of his pass rushing skills and I profile for 32 different teams.* But I am sure of one thing.* I want this kid on my team.* If it takes reaching for him just a little bit because you're not sure if he can become the pass rusher his talent suggest, I would do it anyway.* He might not be dominating but he should be solid and become an important part of your run stuffing defense no matter at what point in the draft you select him.*******
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I recall Canty being first round material if not for his eye injury..maybe not 14
  15. stasheroo

17,479 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    Great!

Another guy who doesn't actually get there. Add him to the collection!

And we keep looking for that guy who actually will get there.

Much better way to use the #14 overall pick than on a guy who doesn't move one way or the other.

Besides, that sounds like a great nose tackle to me, not a defensive end.
  16. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even this is nonsensical because we know the player that Canty has become.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Nickel defense is like 40% of our snaps...
  18. GloryDaysRBack

9,292 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I bet Brockers would take some snaps at NT as well..it would help keep Rat fresh..
  19. stasheroo

17,479 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    And?

He's a good, not great player.

And if that's who you want to compare Brockers to, do it all the way or don;t do it at all.

The fact is that - like Canty - Brockers isn't worth taking at #14 overall. Canty at least had a body of work to look at rather than the dreaded 'P' word which would get real GM's not related to owners fired.
  20. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think what they love, is from what I have read is, Michael Brockers "the bust" is a dominate against the run, not just very good against the run Marcus Spears.

And while people on here love to hate on Marcus Spears, and while he certainly hasn't played up to his billing as a 1st round player. If you look back at the next several picks after him, other than Aaron Rogers, Roddy White, and Logan Mankins. Marcus Spears has been as good or better than anyone else that was drafted in the first round.