1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Everyone who doesn't know what they are talking about..all the professionals love him
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Can you show me a quote of anyone saying that? Thanks in advance!

Again, please show me quotes where folks are saying this because I have not seen any. Thanks!
  3. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    'The professionals', as in the folks who brought you Cowboys Draft 2009.

Yep, how dare we question them!?!?!?!?
  4. GloryDaysRBack

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Who said anything about Dallas?

How do you even know Dallas likes him? You don't
  5. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    That's what I'm interested in. The Dallas Cowboys. Any other team can take him and it won't bother me nearly as much. In fact, let the Eagles take him at #15, then I'll know he's a bust.

Unfiortunately, these are thr rumors that are floating around.

I sure hope they don't.

Not at 14 anyway.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously? Everyone agrees Poe did very little on the field, anyne who wants him feels that way solely based on his potential and freakish athleticism for a man his size.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    BS. You are not doing your case any good with ridiculous assertions like that.
  8. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't have a printed quote but instead a video, but here is Charlie Casserly talking about the safest picks in the NFL Draft. Watch the top video on this link (Safest picks in the NFL).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82821dd1/article/hot-100-plenty-of-draftstock-movement-as-pro-days-wrap-up

Does he ever specifically say Igor Olshansky, no he doesn't. But he is just one of the first guys that come to mind, that have played along time in the NFL strictly as a run stuffer.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I've heard the "safest pick in the draft description used on AJ Hawk, Aaron Curry, Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich. That doesn't mean much to me.
  10. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,077 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I disagree. He's the best run-stuffer in the draft. He's absolutely immovable at the LOS, unless he's double-teamed. And, even then, he's tough to move. He's young (~20). He came to LSU as a TE, and has put on over 70lbs, and is just getting used to his body. If he could develop some pass rush moves, and use his hands better, he could have a HUGE upside. At worse, we'd be getting an immovable run-defender. At best, a 3-down defender that can dominate against both the run and the pass.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    My problem with Brockers is that NFL games are won in this era by passing the ball effectively and preventing the other team from passing the ball efficiently. Brockers doesn't help either aspect. If this were 1978 I might think different, but this is is 2012. The Superbowl runs through Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, not Ahmed Bradshaw, James Starks and Danny Woodhead. I'm also highly skeptical that he's suddenly become this dominating pass rusher. I just don't think he has the athletic ability to be a dominating pass rusher. He's not going to suddenly become a better athlete over night. About the only thing he'll provide as a pass rusher is lining him up as a DT in nickel sets and let him stick his arms up to deflect passes.

If he's drafted by Dallas he goes on the pile with Spears and Spencer as guys who "do everything well but rush the passer". We've already spent way too many first rounders on players who meet that description. If we're going to take a 1 dimensional player, how about a guy who's great at rushing the passer? Why is that so far down our radar?
  12. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  13. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    No. I wanted the Richard Seymour reference. That's a guy who would actually be worth #14 overall.
  14. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, here is Greg Cosell's explanation of Michael Brockers:
    http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Or the Sporting News's description of Richard Seymour
  15. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    With Michael Brockers you are not drafting a 1 dimensional player, you are drafting someone who already dominates at one skill (stopping the run), and shows the ability to also be a good pass rusher as well.

Keep in mind, Michael Brockers is not a 3 or 4 year starter at DT, this is someone who added 70 pounds in college and is still learning how to play at his current size. His pass rushing skills absolutely are still very raw, but he has only played the DT position for two years. What he does he does strictly off raw athletic talent, not off technique.

But, as Charlie Casserly said, he can play the run in the NFL yesterday.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    In his 3 years at LSU, he got some of the best coaching available at the college level. The LSU defensive coordinator produced a ton of NFL ready linemen when he was DC at Tennessee. The LSU defensive line coach is a former NFL DL coach with the Chicago Bears. I don't think he was just some raw kid running around winging it. I think he got more NFL caliber coaching in one year at LSU than Poe or Cox or Wolfe or Winn got in 3-4 years at their school.

I'm really afraid we're going to be sitting here next year wondering why our defense was so ineffective against good QB when we have so many "solid" players (all "solid" in everything except rushing the passer, naturally), and we won't address pass rusher next year either because we took a DL with a 1st round pick the previous year.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,047 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    It's gotta be real.

He plays a premium position and a lot of scouts are high on him.

Also... We have let a lot of our DL get stolen by other teams in our own division.

Brockers, imo, is one of our top 3 options.
  18. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Im not talking about Poe..I'm talking about Brockers
  20. GloryDaysRBack

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Way to chane the subject..we are taking about professional scouts.. Not just scouts in Dallas..pro scouts love Brockers..arm chair scouts do not..