1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Charles Woodson too expensive?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by johnnygt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,807 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Charles Woodson is not going to take this team to the SB. We need to look long-term.
  2. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah Woodson is still better than anything we got back there at the moment, and its not close. Woodson or Sensasuck.....I mean is that really a discussion?? Or we could just base everything on what we got on the trainers table in Matt and Church, just pitiful.

We could use a bandaid back there til maybe Matt develops (really the only one we have developing at safety and he was developing from the trainers table, pathetic), but as you say, I seriously doubt Jerry does it. Since we are switching to a system that needs more out of its safeties, that is even more of a reason why Jerry will do nothing to it.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I would dump Sensabaugh in a NY minute and sign Woodson, thoughts?
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    I wouldn't even want Woodson on Madden.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,931 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    Not the greatest in history. But still a great player. And I hope he does hang it up because you are right about how hard it is to see a great player hanging on too long
  6. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,014 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    absolutely not......but overpaying for an aging declining player, sounds right up jerry's alley.....
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,931 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    One of the reasons I have always had great admiration for Rocky Marciano was that he knew when to hang it up; and despite lots of money thrown his way never came back. you look at the heavyweight ranks and he is the only one that ever did it right.

Even in the lighter weights you are hard put to find more than a handful that did it the right way.

In football and baseball and basketball the number of players that knew when to hang it up and stuck with that are very few.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,920 Messages
    2,812 Likes Received
    If you want an old Safety, Ronde Barber might be a better choice.

He is an expert in Kiffin's system.

He has not missed a game or a start since the 1999 season.

He played Safety in 2012.
  9. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,967 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Hasn't he dealt with injuries a lot the past few years.
  10. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree 100%. If he came as a safety at a reasonable price in Cowboys spending budget like Hamlin did, why not? But we all know the reality of this situation, some people like living a certain way with a certain budget themselves so with his value to many teams that do have a budget that's higher than Cowboys will basically give him what he wants like Bills did with Mario Williams.
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,153 Messages
    1,095 Likes Received
    No disagreement from me on Woodson not being the greatest CB of all time -- I wasn't suggesting anything close to that. I'm not sure he is even the best Packer CB of all time -- Herb Adderley was better IMHO in his days with GB and later with Dallas.

Having said that, no doubt Woodson is a HoFer.
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Always interesting when an older player is considered, the words 'progress stopper' and go with the young guys comes up along with declining play and maybe he will want too much money. Well, I wouldn't consider him if he wanted too much money, but really noone here has any idea how much money he would want so right now, that point is useless.

As a declining player, you have to access what you have at the position and can that declining player still contribute to your team. He was injured last year, only played 7 games but had 5 passes defensed in those games, while Sensasuck has had 6 in the last 2 full seasons. Don't even throw up Woodson's numbers in 2011, cause its an embarrassing comparison.

As a progress stopper, what do we really have at the position as of right now. Matt developing on the trainers table....what about the unknown quantity that is Barry Church. Whose progress on this team is he stopping, we have nothing right now.

Now I'm not saying we should go out and sign him at any cost, but we should at least look at him for perhaps a temporary bandaid til we can get someone else at the spot to develop and allow us to concentrate on other positions with the rest of free agency (where you fill needs) and the draft (which shouldn't be based on need anyway).
  13. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The true question should be......Is Charles Woodson too old?
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'll agree with this. I don't often give Jason credit, but we did pick up some nice players in the draft.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Or how would we afford him?