1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it me or did JG ruin TR?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by SHAMSzy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

270 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Is it me or did Red J completely get rid of the Tony Romo that I learned to love from 06-09. Yeah, I understand he made a lot of bonehead mistakes throughout the years, but is that really worse than his mentality now? Romo is a go-getter QB, you need him to make plays he isn't a game manager. I feel like Red J is slowly trying to turn him into a QB like Alex Smith but with more pocket mobility. Like honestly, Romo's talent calls for him to be playing like Favre which he was in the past. Now I don't see the Favre-esque plays and while I know how frustrating it was at times, Romo CARRIED us the majority of the time. We just didn't have much help for him at that time, but now that the defense is looking dominant and we have a stud RB in Demarco, wouldn't it be ideal for Romo to go back to his old gunslinging self where he is always a threat to the D? I feel like our passing game is getting no respect anymore because Tony is so restricted. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but do any of you get this feeling too? IDK, sometimes it comes out but only when he is getting pressure and he improvises. In the past, every single play it felt like Tony was gonna light them up. Now, he is so passive with his progressions.. I also feel like this might be a case of not having T.O. anymore, we really really need Dez to produce like T.O. did in his years here.

:starspin Go Cowboys :starspin
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,776 Messages
    529 Likes Received
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I don't think so, Romo put up his best season of his career last season. This is ridicules the length to which some fans slam on Garrett. :laugh2:
  4. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

979 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    im not sure i would say he ruined him but i have noticed romo trying to stay in the pocket more
  5. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,956 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Garrett deserves his share of criticism, especially as a playcaller IMO, but he certainly didn't ruin Romo. As you said, he had the best year of his career last season.
  6. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

270 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Don't look at stats please, use your eyes. Sometimes stats doesn't tell the whole story, I've watched every single game Romo has played in the NFL, and I am 100% sure that Garrett has tighten up Romo's green light, he doesn't have the freedom he once had and I think it hurts him and his confidence. Dude used to be fearless when throwing the ball, now unless he is pressured and is improvising, he FEARS to throw the ball into coverage.

For one second don't look at the stats and watch the player. Stats are an amazing source of info but fans rely on them far too much sometimes, watch the All-22 tape and it is very very evident. Romo's game is so tightened up now that defenses show NO where near the amount of respect to our passing game then they used to. I think this is a huge issue with our offense right now.

To the same guy pointing out stats, we're last in the league in scoring if you want some stats.. The Jaguars and Browns have more points per game than us despite having all-world talent at QB, RB, WR, WR, and TE.

Maybe last year was his best year statistically, but 2007 was his best year as a QB.. no question in my mind. In 07 Romo was a FEARLESS gunslinger, led us to a 13-3 record with our passing game being the focal point of our team.

Trust me I'm the first person to lean on stats, but for a moment please ignore them and just use your eyes. Watch the All-22 film.
  7. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Fair enough but then every HC will get called out on playcalling or questionable moves when you lose. As for Romo early on he got slammed for being too much like Favre and careless with the ball. Since then he has cut down on the turnover and making the plays and putting up numbers equal to the top QB in the league.
  8. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I am using my eyes, Romo has cut down on turnovers he is putting up a lot of TD and his play is at the level of top QB in the NFL that is just a fact, did Garrett ruin him? You got to be kidding me. Gun slinger? you mean when Romo was getting blasted for making foolish passes and turning the ball over yeah that is what we need. this really takes the cake
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,879 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Romo had allot more time back then behind a better oline. He has done nothing but improve every year.
  10. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,192 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    You cant help but wonder if Romo is a bit more cautious then you would like but at the same time, it is better to be a bit more cautious then turn the ball over. He just needs some blocking so he can make some plays down field. That would open up the whole offense.
  11. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

270 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Yeah this definitely is a pressing issue, the dreaded O-line.. but I'm telling you, for any of you who have the All-22 film, watch Romo in the past when he gets time and the present when he gets time. In the past he would make huge plays when he had time to throw, now on plays when he has time to throw he never throws for the big play.. almost always resorts to the check down unless its 3rd down. The old Romo used to make HUGE plays when he had time to throw. Now, all his big plays come off broken plays and using his unbelievable ability to move in the pocket and buy time (at this point he throws coaching out the window and just does what he feels instinctively). While his avg QB rating might be higher now and efficiency, his playmaking isn't as potent as it once was. If you guys are gonna keep just resorting to stats rather than talking about what you are SEEING then yeah, this convo is pointless.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,845 Messages
    3,853 Likes Received
    he's improved but the passing game has regressed. i think the league has figured out jason's offense to some extent and he is yet to adjust.
  13. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    You are right it is pointless. Those improvision caused turnovers, yes he would get away with it at times but you can't win with back yard play ground QB'ing. Romo has improved not being ruined and I see that with my eye and the stats only back it up.
  14. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

270 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Definitely can agree with this, I do think we have a lot less open receivers than we once did. Because of all the hoopla about Dez's route running I figured it was just that players like Crayton and Owens knew where they were supposed to go and were more disciplined. Man, as much as I know a lot of you despite T.O., I miss that man's production week in, week out. I can't wait til Dez can replicate what T.O. did for us in terms of production. T.O. was the best thing to happen to Romo, dude was a beast and demanded for the ball. I think Dez needs to demand the ball more too.
  15. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

270 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    You do know he has 5 turnovers in 3 games this year, right? The most in his first 3 games of any season of his career, so please harp down about him not turning it over. The TO's he has gotten this year have just been awful too, his interceptions have been high risk low reward. At least in the past they were in attempts of making big plays.
  16. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Yes he has 5 turnover not getting much help up front but his play over the last couple of years has been amongst the top QB in the entire league this BS of well he need to run around and just try to make things happen is a joke, that is back yard football and while you can get away with it at time it is not what any team wants out of their QB. If that is your verion of running a offense or teaching a QB then you are so far off base it is not even funny
  17. zrinkill

32,776 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    You mean the difference in a healthy 27 year old QB dodging around on fresh young legs vs a beat up 32 year old vet who in the past 3 years has had a broken color bone, hand, ribs, punctured lung, ect ect ect.

I cannot imagine what happened to him ...... but I am positive its Garrett's fault.

:rolleyes:
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,879 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Playing against who? You mean when we had T.O.? You talking about when he wasn’t beat up (like last year, year before)? I don’t care if you have the god-sight from your all22—everything is not equal, so you cant make generalizations like this and be apt.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,395 Likes Received
    I don't know if he's ruined his game, but he's going to ruin his health if he doesn't find a way to get him protected better.

But it does make me sad that we're never going to know the answer to your question, because all but 10 games of Tony's entire starting career is going to be played under an inexperienced coach who has to learn on the fly. I'd love to see what a veteran, proven, experienced OC would do with Tony -- imagine Tony in a Norv Turner offense -- but it's not going to happen, so we'll never know.
  20. zrinkill

32,776 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    Thank God.