1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it time to declare Claiborne a bust?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AmberBeer, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    I don't think Serviceable is what you are looking for out of a 6th overall pick in the draft but your point is well taken. It's far too early to label him a bust, as of now.
  2. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,537 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    He couldn't even do that right.

You walk in, sign someone elses name, walk out. ;)
    theSHOW and big dog cowboy like this.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The same fans that are giving Mo the benefit of the doubt are quick to point out that Dion Jordan has been a bust. It is a double standard. My opinions are not tied to emotions for my favorite team.
  4. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,053 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    This is his 3rd year. We'll see after this one. So far, he hasn't been very good, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Nation and TheSport78 like this.
  5. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

908 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Before I'd say he was a bust....I'd try him @ FS. A lot of draftniks thought his more natural position was @ FS.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    There you go.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Three year rule. It's obviously a make or break season for him.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,586 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    I said this before but I think the issue with Claiborne has more to do with expectations than actual play.

He was not getting toasted out there and like others was hampered by awful FS play not covering the backend. He would hold and armbar like in Seattle and they wouldn't let him do it. He also would hold rather then count on S help behind him.

Blaming him for the running woes when Lawrence and Hayden out there seems disingenuous. Get him healthy and lets see what he can do.
    CowboyStar88 and Vintage like this.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,586 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    He has a reading disability. It is well documented.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    He has not played well on the field . It is well documented. A reading disability is not an excuse for a record low test score. If his disability is that severe, how did he pass any if his classes at LSU?
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

16,586 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    If you want to take the score as valid then fine. As has been noted he has a reading disability and declined to take the test. You can characterize it however you like but there is a clear cause and effect that doesn't include him acting like a 5 year old. Players decline tests all the time.

I think if you want to call him dumb then you should be talking about him busting coverages. I know he got beat on routes but no serious mental gaffes stand out in my mind. Do you have any examples?

I also think your comments on his play are hyperbole. He held more than he should but it wasn't just him that was getting thrown on against the Bears and Patriots. Carr got most of the single coverage and really did get torched a ffew times and opponents attacked the middle of the field a lot. That is where the free first downs were.

Claiborne's sin was getting beat out by Orlando. Scandrick was the second best player on defense last year. There is no shame in being beat out by play like that unless you are the 6th overall pick I guess. That speaks more to how Scandrick played than it does Claiborne anyway.
    Vintage likes this.
  12. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

491 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    I think majority rules here, to label him a bust at this point is ludicrous. As fans, regardless of his Wonderlic or lack of production his first two years, we should hope that he reaches a level close to his potential this year because that means an improved defense.
  13. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,196 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    he's garbage. worst pick in cowboys history.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    I let out a dothraki tribal scream when the trade/pick was announced. Just a terrible terrible trade when you're team has so many holes.
    jnday likes this.
  15. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

548 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    I figured it was sarcasm lol. Just having fun with it, at this point the mo being bust threads are here as often as jerry is the devil threads, it would be nice for something new once in awhile or i will just stop coming back
  16. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,031 Messages
    947 Likes Received
    Im going to join the club and say that his a bust. I don't know what we were thinking. He certainly isn't in the same league as Deion and that was what our FO was saying. Its a shame that we spent a 2nd rounder just to move up to get him.

I kind of thought he was going to be a bust. He just isn't fast enough to play against tougher competition. He also isn't strong enough to intimidate WRs or jam them effectively at the LOS. Who ever scouted him should be fired.
  17. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received

No.
  18. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,372 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Yeth and no.

While Wonderlic's questions are not directly related to the game, it do measure critical thinking, judgment and molecular brain function ( I think). Therefore and ipso factorum, his thinking and ability to grasp concepts is important and crucial and stuff as to learning schemes.
    I feel dizzy writing this much above my menal level.

But he do seem to be a bust, like much of our secondary.
  19. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    he is not asked to build a rocket ship. deion sanders didn't have a great wonderlic score neither.

and btw, mike mamula scored a 49 on his wonderlic...remember how that worked out!!!

frank gore scored a 6,
  20. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,372 Messages
    847 Likes Received

OK, I was nodding my porportionately big head until you wrote LSU. If anyone can get easily by anywhere it would be LSU. I remember when I applied there and they laughed. Well, I got into a good JC and now who is laughing? I will tell you who, LSU and the guy who collect my student loan.
    Wheeltax likes this.