1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it time to start thinking Jimmy Johnson!

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by mr.jameswoods, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's not as much of a knee jerk reaction as you might think. First let's get some things out of the way.

1. Parcells is still arguably the greatest football coach of all time. But just because he is the best coach of all time, it doesn't necessarily mean he is the best for this team.

2. I too am amazed by what Parcells accomplishes with the little talent we have on offense. At the same time, he is responsible for what little talent we have on offense.

3. You can still respect the job Parcells has done but desire another head coach. Parcells has not been a failure. He has not repeated Dave Campo's mistakes. At the same time, I don't like the direction the team is heading. You get that sense that this team is being built toward being a contender. And I said this at the end of last season. Parcells doesn't want to develop this team the right way. He still relies too much on older veterans and that has cost us in terms of developing younger talent on offense.

I was like all of you. I was sick of Dave Campo. I blamed him and his lack of discipline for our three 5-11 seasons. However, I also realize that Parcells was not the right hire for this team because he wants to win now. I can't blame him. That's what he was hired to do. And given his age, can you blame for wanting to go with veterans like Bledsoe versus taking your chances with an unknown rookie? But that is precisely my point, he wasn't a right hire for our team given our situation. We really need a coach who is patient and willing to start over and develop this team from scratch. We need a coach who we can say with some sense of certainty that he will stay with this team in the long term.

Will we be better next year? Probably Will we contend for a championship? No And the reason for that is simple, Parcells isn't willing to start over. He is still going to rely on his veterans instead of going with younger talent.

If we want to do this right, we have to start over. We have to wipe the slate clean even if that means we endure a losing season or two. We need a coach who is willing to develop a team over the course of 5 years or so and build this team properly from the ground up instead of adopting a veteran/band aid philosophy.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,834 Likes Received
    The only thing Jimmy is thinking about is his easy life.
  3. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Generally, I would agree with you but the chance to come back is too enticing especially now that he and Jerry have patched things up. The sense of nostalgia is too much.
  4. TunaFan33

TunaFan33 Benched

1,824 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You know? I was thinking the same thing too.

Our undoing hasn't exactly been the poor OL Parcells has assembled(although a better one might have made the difference, BUT with the QB-musical chairs since post-Troy we're played around with-THIS has been the Cowboys' franchise ultimate undoing(and Tuna likely didn't want to fool with any of these pet projects).

So yeah-it would probably be better to start afresh now.

I'm beginning to wonder if Jerry's thinking the same thing. When Jimmy said on the Fox pre-game show Dallas would interest him the most, you always wonder if Jerry confided in him recently about his growing distrust for Parcells?
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,834 Likes Received

I just don't see it happening no matter how many want it to happen.

Now with that said anything is possible...but I just don't see it.
  6. Asklesko

Asklesko Active Member

1,064 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Do you know how happy that would make me? :: tears up ::
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    I don't think Jimmy will take another coaching job. He's going to be talked about as a candidate until he is senile, but I don't think he'll ever come back to any team.
  8. Hostile

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    When did he say that?
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,066 Messages
    1,920 Likes Received
    I would kiss Hos if Jimmy came back... Closed mouth of course. ;)
  10. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Here's what gets me....Jimmy "talked" to the Texans. I think it could be that Jimmy IS looking to get back into coaching, but only for the "right" team.

Howie Long asked him what he thought of the Texans talent level at this point and he said "Not very good.".

I think that Jimmy did evaluate the Texans, albeit, knowing that he wouldn't take the job, but he did evaluate them more in-depth than I think anybody knows.

He was offered the job, probably turning down the most that a coach was ever offered.

BUT, the situation isn't right.

Never underestimate the ego of a head coach....he didn't like how it turned out in Miami.

I think that if he sees the talent level on a team only requires a couple of "minor" fixes, he'd take the job. Of course, money talks AFTER he likes the team.
  11. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    How about Jimmy for director of player personnel for about $3.5 million a year. (Jerry isn't giving up the title of G.M.)

Jimmy might take that position, but he ain't gonna coach again!
  12. te0002

te0002 Member

820 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    AMEN! Parcells has overseen one of the biggest collapses in the history of this franchise. Parcells did a great job year 1 - but since then he has done nothing, coaching wise, to improve this team. Jerry spent the money Bill wanted, on the players Bill wanted, and this team was 7-3 and will now miss the playoffs.

That is coaching - every team in the league goes through injuries - but Parcells has allowed injuries to kill this team. He got the team he wanted and has nothing to show for it and if he doesn't have the depth he needs that's his fault, no one elses.

And the game plan for the the 'Skins was pathetic - Hey Bill, do you know the 'Skins use a TE, too? Horrible.

Why am I so anti-Bill, easy. 4th-&-1 in the 3rd quarter and Bill decides to punt (which is fine if your throwing in the towel) and then goes to a hurry-up w/Bledsoe with 4:00 left in the game. A punt = Romo/Henson. It does not equal Bledsoe running the 2-minute drill in a lost cause.

13. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would even kiss juke & Hos.....Oh Gawd I didn't say that.
  14. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I think he is refering to when he was aksed who was the best owner in the NFL. Jimmy said Jerry was. I do not remember hearing him say anything about the coaching job interesting him. He said point blank he was done and would not coach again. BUUUUUT, I believe Parcells said the same thing. funny how $$$$ can change a persons mind :)
  15. Staubach12

Staubach12 Member

75 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry and Jimmy both have egos too large for this to happen. Which one of them would pick up the phone and express interest? I think it's pretty clear that both of them don't have the ability to do that. Patching things up for the camera is one thing, doing so for business interests is another thing entirely.

After what Jimmy did in Miami, I don't know that I would want him back anyway. Maybe lightning has already struck for Jimmy and he just won't have that happen again.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,974 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    If you are thinking Jimmy Johnson, then at the same time you might also want to think "rehab"
  17. Hostile

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    These people wanting to kiss me are wigging me out.

:scram:
  18. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    When they say that they won't...most will.

Remember Keyshawn Johnson saying straight to the camera, "I won't play for you Bill Parcells!" He said it half-jokingly, but, oh, a couple of months later...if that, he was playing for BP.
  19. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jimmy will be back.

He talked to Bob McNair last week about that consultant position with the Texans, and granted on this weeks show he did say he wasn't interested in returning to the NFL, but why talk if there wasn't some interest there?

He's interested... he's just not interested in the Texans. I'm telling you...I've heard Jimmy say more positive things about the Cowboys this year than every season he's been gone combined. The bad feelings are gone. Why?

I think there has already been some talk between Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson about when Parcells retires. Jimmy's downplaying it because he feels it will be a couple of years before Parcells hangs it up. And it very well may be... but Jimmy's next.

Again.
  20. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    That's the point of my first post in this thread.

The mere fact that he "talked" is the smoke....where there's smoke.....you know the rest of the saying.