Is it time to start thinking Jimmy Johnson!

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by mr.jameswoods, Dec 19, 2005.

1. DipChit

DipChit New Member

1,594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whats so sweet about it? I'd feel better of he needed defensive players. But instead, he's gonna need a QB, maybe a truly stud RB, and a top flite WR.. not to mention an overall of the o-line.

Some of the very things he needed in Miami and never could find (RB and WR).

So in other words to have the same kinda success here the second time around, he's gonna need a new set of triplets. Wheres he gonna get em.. by first goin 1-15 again and then trading say T-New and Roy and Witten for a couple more higher 1st round picks?

At least the first time around Irvin was already here and Aikman was there for the taking.

Goin with guys like Jabbar, Avery, Green and McDuffie as your "big guns" aint gonna get it done.
  2. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells didn't draft Lawrence Taylor.
  3. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not really, your winters are pretty darn cold. Just because you are in Arizona, you don't have the luxury of nice winters like we do.

There is a reason why your summers are mild.
  4. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received

T.O.- No!
    30 yrs as a HC and only LT to show for it.
    If I knew where to get it, I'd be a HC.
    Yes, Irvin was already on the team, but he was a Jimmy product (the U).
    Maybe this is a better way to put it. Jimmy finds swagger, I miss our swagger.
    Sometimes, swagger wins games just coming out of the tunnel.
    Just ask Eric Allen of the old egirl teams. He said our "Jimmy Teams" were scary when we were warming up before a game.
    OK- We were spoiled 10 years ago, and I just can't let go!
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Ugh, the dude gave Kareem Abdul Jabbar 300 carries a season at Miami for three years rushing at 3.5 per clip.

You think Drew Bledsoe is a "bus driver QB"? Ask a Dolphin fan about Jimmy's inexplicable man-crush on Damon Huard.
  6. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I never get tired of that clip they just showed on SportsCenter, when we won the 92 NFC Championship game and after the game we get the "How bout them Cowboys" from Jimmy. One of my all time favorite clips
  7. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You guys talk like Free Agency is such a bad thing. These days, you can actually acquire Pro-Bowl talent in FA that you couldn't when Jimmy was coaching the Dolphins. Technically, they had free agency then but it was rare to see star players move. It's not a rare thing any longer. You talk about running backs, heck, just last year, both Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James were available. No team showed significant interest in either player which is why their teams were forced to putting the franchise tag on them. However both teams were willing to trade them for the right offer. Free agency was in it's infancy when Jimmy was with Miami. It was rare that players like that were available in FA back then.

Do you really think Jimmy couldn't acquire talent at WR or RB if he really wanted to? Our biggest concern is our offensive line. And even in Miami, Jimmy drafted well and maintained their offensive line. If he could do that in Dallas, that would be a huge accomplishment.
  8. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,438 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I had a class at UA where a couple of girls wore bikinis and roller blades to class every day. They'd skate in and sit down a couple of rows in front of me. For some reason I don't remember what the subject was or who taught it. I was always early to grab my seat though.
  9. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know what happened in Miami. Jabbar was a talented young player at the time. He averaged 3.6 his rookie year. Emmitt averaged 3.9.

If you think Jimmy Johnson can't tell what a football player looks like, which is what it seems like you're getting at, look at the Cowboys roster in 1992.
  10. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would give up both testicles to have Jimmy Johnson as our head coach. I would go to war for that man. I personally believe that he is the greatest combination of head coach, motivator, and talent evaluator that has ever lived plus he ran that bastid Joe Gibbs out of the league (trust me, he really did- Gibbs fears Johnson). But, alas, it ain't happening. Jimmy is living la vida loca.
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Better yet.....Compare the 89 to 90 roster......esp. the OL
  12. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He was forced to going with Jabbar at the time because you couldn't acquire a star RB in free agency like you can today. Look at how many star RB's have switched teams or were available in free agency the last 5 years. Like I previously mentioned, Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander were available last year.

I'm not even concerned with his ability acquire star players on offense. If Jimmy really wants a great WR or RB, he can get one today provided Jerry is willing to pay the money. Even Terrell Owens is available. That was unheard of 7 years ago. The attitudes have changes. Teams are more willing to let star players walk and these star athletes don't feel like they have to finish their career with one team. It's a different time.
  13. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, Jimmy could pretty much put his old staff back together. He could get either Butch Davis or Dave Wannstedt (he won't be at Pitt much longer) as DC, Norv is gone in Oak, so there's his OC. Avezzano could be stolen away from Oak. Campo could easily leave the Jags to come back as DB coach. All the boys are either out of work or available- Just steal Tony Wise from the Dolphins (offensive line coach) and Mike Woicik from NE (strength and conditioning) and he'd be pretty much set.
  14. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't count on TO from Parcells or Jimmy. (Not that you were, I see you were just making an example)

Jimmy made the comment a few weeks ago that any head coach would be crazy to agree to take on TO but that some poor, desperate soul probably would. His words.

I don't think Parcells is that desperate soul, either.
  15. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Inman, that is the '99 season you are referring to regarding Huard, LOL. I can tell you from having experienced that year up close that it was much more of a reflection of the incredible tension between Marino and Johnson than a commentary on Huard's talent. Remember that this was the season that Marino had something like 5 ints returned for touchdowns and was playing with a badly injured nerve in his shoulder.

Cowboys fans will remember that we were the beneficiaries of Marino coming back a bit too soon from the injury that Thanksgiving and us picking him off 5 times, including one that Coakley returned for 6.
  16. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was just trying to make a point that Jimmy wouldn't be forced to experimenting with an unknown at RB because free agency affords top RB's if you are willing to pay the price. He wouldn't endure the same problems he did in the late 90's when free agency basically translated to quality backups as opposed to well recognized starters like today.
  17. Clove

Clove Shrinkage Zone Supporter

41,765 Messages
    3,352 Likes Received
    Bill doesn't look healthy. Actually, to me he looks beaten down. When you look at JJ, he looks like he's ready to coach again.

He is so much more perky than I've ever seen him on that show. What happened IMO to Jimmy in Miami is sort of what happened to Dallas in Deadskin country yesterday. It started snow-balling and things went down from there.

When JJ and JJ are together is simply magical. I think JJones has grown up alot since the breakup including JJohnson. Can you not imagine them in the Draft War room together, that would be a TV series right there.

I'm all for Jimmy coming back, after all, what do we have to lose.
  18. watertown

watertown Member

274 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    please come up with another name, he is not coming back. Why would we want a guy who lost 62-7 in the playoffs
  19. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because he built a dynasty that won 3 Super Bowls. Please come up with a better reason why we don't want him.
  20. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will preface what I'm about to say by explaining that I lean towards it being fairly unlikely that Jimmy will ever return here, but if there was ever a time that it was set up to happen in regards to Jerry's degree of involvement with the decisions, it would be now. He's now in Year 3 of a "taking a backseat to the Head Coach" philosophy. The only chance it happens is immediately after Parcells retires/resigns, as Jerry is in that "frame of mind".