1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it time to start thinking Jimmy Johnson!

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by mr.jameswoods, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't know if you are implying this, but Jerry Jones is not going to ever revert back to his old ways. You have to remember he was relatively a new owner who experienced immediate success. Losing humbles you and causes you to look inward. Dan Snyder no longer runs the Redskins like he did when he first became owner. He doesn't do public appearances or make personnel decisions by himself. Snyder like Jones learned the NFL is business beyond their scope of expertise which requires professionals to intercede. Jerry and Dan both realized being a general manager is much more difficult than they perceived which is why both owners relinquished control to their head coaches.
  2. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was kind of implying that James. I hope you are right in your assessment, but I don't know. I think Jerry cares so much about winning, especially as he gets older, that the temptation for him to step in and influence a coach of lesser stature would be too much.
  3. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think Jerry was arrogant early in his career because he experienced early success. He thought it was easy and that he could apply the same formula and reap the same results with another coach. He sorta did that with Barry Switzer which reinforced his belief. It took 7 years of losing to convince him that he needed help.

I don't see Jerry as an arrogant man who is subduing his selfish tendencies for the moment.

I see Jerry as someone who has grown over the years and matured as an owner learning from mistakes he made early in his career.
  4. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You make great points. However, my fear is more about Jerry The Competitor (and Eternal Optimist) than Jerry The Egomaniac, if you know what I'm saying.
  5. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with the essence of your post in that we need a 'Jimmy Johnson' to come in build this team for long-term success. Whether it's Johnson himself or a similarly hungry coach (similar to the hunger Johnson displayed back in the day, not necessarily that which he displays now), that is what this franchise needs. I really like and respect Parcells but I've never been comfortable with this 'win now' mentality when the necessary pieces simply aren't there to adopt such an approach. The way the Bengals are putting it together under Lewis is the way I want us to do it.
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Seems as though BP is doing exactly what JJones tried to do with Aikman in his latter years. Add this add that, while he should have been putting new pieces (draft) into place.
  7. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He seems to be adding 'this' to 'that', when it's really 'that' which needs replacing and 'this' just isn't enough to cover for 'that'.
  8. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Seinfeld, right? LOL
  9. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Being a Cowboy fan sometimes feels like being stuck in a neverending Seinfeld episode. There's rarely any direction or point and anything that can go wrong, usually will.
  10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,635 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Best line I like is up 28-17 at the Super Bowl, Todd Christenson reminds Jimmy Johnson about Buffalo's comeback against the Oilers.

Johnson looks at him and says, "We're not Houston!" :D
  11. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Saban would have been a nice alternative to have available when Parcells retired if he hadn't already been snapped up by the 'Fins.
  12. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Exactly, I'm not necessarily advocating the coach be Jimmy Johnson but one like him in that he will develop this team from young players and not feel pressured to win now. I think that is what has hurt this team. We haven't developed players in a long time. Campo inherited the vets from the 90's and was expected to win with them. Parcells wanted to come here and bandage our problems with some key vets and see if we could win now.

It's time, we start over. Hire another respectable head coach but who is a little younger and willing to develop this team from scratch. This coach doesn't have to be a superstar like Parcells but needs to be respectable and someone sought out by other teams unlike Dave Campo
  13. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I would even prefer an unknown. I want a coach who is very much in the Andy Reid mold. I knew Andy Reid was going to be a success based on a Sports Illustrated article I read about him prior to being hired. The article commented about his soft-spoken nature but his organizations skills and attention to detail were flawless.

I have learned to avoid the big talkers like Dennis Green who are a great sound byte but offer little in regards to real coaching.

We need a quiet, hungry, blue collar guy who can teach fundamentals and demand attention to detail more than coming up with some quirky offensive gimic (Chan Gailey).
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones would give back the facelift before he ate the amount of crow it would require to bring Jimmy back
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    LOL, I think he would relish in the story-line.
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he hires him back, he is saying:

1: I was wrong

2: Jimmy really was and still is the best coach for this team

3: I denied us a shot at 4 SBs in a row, possibly more, by firing him in the first place

If all those things happen and Jimmy comes back, expect the apocalypse inside of a week
  17. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I think he had a face life and an attitude lift at the same time, because the old JJ would never have hired BP.
  18. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He has implicitly said as much publicly on several occassions. He is way past that.
  19. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know jameswoods didn't specifically mean Jimmy as the next coach when he started this thread, but just to have some fun:

- Butch Davis, D-coordinator in Jimmy's final season here- unemployed

- Norv Turner, O-coordinator in Jimmy's final 3 seasons here- very possibly
    soon to be unemployed

- Joe Avezzano, ST coach- see Turner above

- Tony Wise, OL coach- unemployed

- Steve Hoffman, kicking coach- unemployed

- Hubbard Alexander, WR coach- unemployed (?)

We all know if Jimmy was going to come back, it would probably be with a large contingent of "his guys" on a staff. Hmmm....and Campo for secondary coach for good measure too. :D
  20. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting post. I guess we're all waxing a little nostalgic here but after last week, I truly think a bit of an attitude change is taking place about Big Bill. I'm not ready to fire him because our personnel is improving but his time is beginning to expire.

The team, record wise, is where many expected the team to be. The rub is that most expected this team to be improving late in the season and not swooning. Injuries have pretty much ripped the heart out of this team on both offense and defense. The personnel decisions on the O-Line have contributed to one of the most dramatic collapses in club history. Those were Parcells' decisions and they have not worked out. This was a team that could not afford so many personnel mistakes on the O-Line.

Bill's penchant for bringing in veteran players is a good one....if it results in winning now. Right now we are losing and barely on life support. If we back into the playoffs, we will put in a cameo appearance (one and done). I would cheer the playing of a backup QB right now, but the O-Line is so bad he would probably get killed. I am frustrated not because of our record but because we are looking worse and not better at the end of the season.

Parcells has my support. He gets another off season to try and find the talent we need to make a run. But the job seems so much larger today than it did when we were 7-3 (Doh!). At this point there are once again question marks where we thought problems had been solved.

Even Jimmy Johnson had to go 1-15 as he shuffled through players and searched for answers. It seems so clear now the Cowboys were a very bad team at the end of the Campo era. I think things are improving....but they are improving much more slowly than I thought.

Would a coaching change help right now? No, and in fact I think our record would get immediately worse while we once again went on a search to find solutions currently filled by the "win now" veterans brought in by Parcells. But I am beginning to wonder if that might be a better long term answer than the frustration of watching December fade away with injuries to aging veterans with no backup talent available.