1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it time to start thinking Jimmy Johnson!

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by mr.jameswoods, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Good God...How much a better a HC must Jimmy be over Bill...

Bill had all these great assistants...Jimmuh had nothing

Jimmuh built a dynasty out of nothing with nothing and Bill?
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,796 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I don't think Jimmy would come back here or even coach again for that matter. However, the only guy that I could see convincing enough to bring him back would be Jerry Jones.
  3. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well if you can gurantee that Jimmy can assemble a coaching staff like the one had in the early 90's I might agree with you once India make beef curry their national dish.
  4. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Jimmy was fresh out of the College game and had a much better handle on the talent.

Plus he emphasized speed, speed speed with his picks, something the rest of the league hadn't really bought into yet. His teams were the fastest in the league by far.

By the time he got to Miami, the rest of the league had caught up to him speed wise, and he didn't have the inside track on the college talent like he used to. While he did find some draft gems like Jason Taylor or Sam Madison, he also wasted almost all of his first round picks on small, fast players who never amounted to anything.

I loved Jimmy when he was here. But I think no one knows better than Jimmy how little success he had in Miami compared to Dallas. Which is why he will not be leaving the broadcast booth any time soon.
  5. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,404 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    Lucky?

I'm sorry, but that team wasn't about being lucky.
  7. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Wow, I am amazed at some of you. We have been a crappy team for the last 10 years and parcells has given us the building blocks to suceed, not only in the immediate future but in the long term. This years draft class has been awesome, I am looking forward to next years. Parcells is not leaving any time soon. Next year will rally determine what kinda of team we will have, after all it is going to be Parcells third draft and he has no excuse for mot makin the playoffs. IT takes time to build up a team. 2 drafts is not going to do it. We have a SOlid defense and once we get a few more linebackers it will be very good for a long time. TEh Oline needs ALOT of help I am sure these two position will be addressed in the draft. I really don't care for a rookie QB to develope, I would prefer to bring in a sollid passer who makes good decisions behind a SOLID Oline. Parcells has given this team a much brighter future that we could have hoped for.

Parcells is right about laying the blame on the players. It doesn't matter what game plan you have if you have not time to run the ball and can't open holes for you running back to hit then you will loose. Just look at the Indy game this weekend. Parcells had a game plan but it went out the window when the players kept making mistakes. Not halftime adjustment or game plan can overcome players making mistakes. This is a good lesson for this team. I am glad Parcells holds people responsible for their actions. Some of you it seems are not.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    well, i see we're flogging the old ego argument again.

fact: they BOTH have huge egos
    fact: they BOTH wanted it to end last time
    fact: NO ONE PERSON was EVER at fault for it last time around (the breakup) - it happens and while fun to blame someone else for all our problems in life, it's still just life and "stuff" happens.
    fact: many said jjones was way to egomanical to hire a "real" coach.
    fact: he has
    fact: it's gone better than most hoped

so it must stand to reason jjones is willing to be a more quiet owner IF it translates into winning again. it also stands to reason he would be willing this time around (now that experience has shown him) to give more control to someone like - jimmy johnson.

truth be told, the NFL would probably love to see it also. i could be pushing it here, but hey - the media and hype of the re-teaming of the pair that brought was used to be untouchable until NE just did it?

i just wonder how long people will flog jjones with his past when obviously HE's gotten past it, if not many others.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    My brother is a Dolphins fanatic, and I follow the Dolphins almost as closely as I follow the Cowboys. Everyone knew Marino was not long for the NFL world, especially Marino. Jimmy could have drafted a young QB and started to groom him as Marino's replacement, but he didn't. He had a huge man-crush on Huard. He thought Huard was going to be a great QB in the NFL (likely the same QB evaluation techniques to evaluate Steve Walsh worthy of a 1st round pick). When it turned out that Huard was completely awfull, (and after the most embarassing defeat in NFL Playoff history) Jimmy high-tailed it out of Dodge and let Wanny deal with the mess at QB (and it remains a mess to this day).

The simple fact of the matter is that every accusation lobbed at Parcells here in Dallas, Jimmy The Genius did himself at Miami ... tenfold. Sticking with vet QBs, going with busdrivers, conservative approaches, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, busted high draft picks. Except Parcells will likely leave the Cowboys with a better apprentice HC upon his exit than what Jimmy left the Dolphins with, and Parcells will likely never choke as bad in a playoff game as Jimmy did.
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Put me down on the Jimmy Johnson can come back any time he wants side!

I vacationed and drove past his house in Islamarada this spring and I'm going back next spring...I bring him a Case of Heiniken.

But only if he comes back! :D
  11. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    dude, let's pitch in and just throw him a welcome home kegger - i'll buy the 1st keg!
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,404 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    You can't. You quit drinking remember? You gotta supply the girls.

:wink2:
  13. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    for a day i could - i'd just have my keyboard locked up. : )

but check out the babes section - i could DEFINATLEY supply the "renegade babes". and music, lots of local music...
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm all for that...I've never had a keg of Heiniken! :beer1:
  15. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    you've obviously not seen my renegade babes either. : )
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nope...But bring them....Babes and Beer...Can't beat it! :D
  17. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    one should be back today. she went to LA and has a shot at being in playboy one day. (not what the trip was for, but hey, she does! : )
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Playboy...That's impressive.

I can just imagine what she'll look like with my Beer goggles on...Playboy Squared! :D
  19. Staubach12

Staubach12 Member

75 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even if Jones is "past" it, the man's ego certainly came at a great expense to this organization. I don't believe he is past his ego problem, if Parcells manages any kind of success with this organization, when his time came Jerry would hire another moron and we'd repeat the cycle. If Jerry is past his ego, why does he insist on believing he knows anything about how to evaluate a professional football player? If Jerry didn't have an out of control ego, he'd a hire a damn GM.