1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it true that Obama won't salute the flag?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rack Bauer, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,529 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I hadn't heard about this till last night. A buddy of mine told me about it. Is it true?

Edit: I don't want to start some crazy debate or anything. I'm just curious. I won't vote for a man (or woman) that won't salute the flag of the office he's running for. JMO
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,444 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
    It is true that he did not salute a flag...however since he is not in the military and was not in the military...he is not to salute the flag.

I think your buddy got it twisted up. What actually happened is there was a picture of him when he did not have his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Which is not required but most people do anyways.

Hope that helps.:cool:
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    I do not think its true ..... I think this is more of Clinton's machine at work.
  4. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

635 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    First off let me state I'm a repub and not here to start and arguement. OK here's the deal. There was a picture taken that had Sen Obama standing and facing the flag during the national anthem and he did not have his hand over his heart like the rest of the VIP guests. Now, he has stated that he was never taught to do this as a child. I do agree, I didn't grow up putting my hand over my heart during the national anthem either, just the pledge. So I think it was blown way out of the water, and I don't think that can be held against the guy. I'm pretty sure it was probably Clinton that put this into motion in the first place anyway.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

60,444 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    what is it with the hand over the heart anyway?

I know that isn't done in Canada nor in most other countries. When did it start in the US?

As an aside, why are the Clintons being blamed, wasn't it McCain who questioned Obama's patriotism?
  7. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

635 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Yeah only thing Canadians do during the US national anthem is booo.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    if you are referring to the playoffs a few years ago, it was fans at a Pistons game booing the Canadian anthem that started it all.

I don't boo, I just want them to get the songs over with and get on with the game.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Another unwitting victim of the Clinton propaganda machine.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    The hand over the heart started a long time ago= I think in the Civil war. Not sure. But its been around a very long time. Naturally a canadian would know nothing about anything like that.
  11. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

635 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Hey man I was just ribbing you, I grew up in Alaska, and so had frequent contact with Canadians. Nothing but good things to say about them, at least the ones from out west that is.....
  12. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,344 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Anybody wanna photo shop this?:D
  13. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's another Obama patriotism flap.

14. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Bumfard, given your snarky response it is clear you do not like legitimate questions about American traditions.

BTW, why aren't you denouncing killing innocent puppies by your corps brethren?
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,781 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    I don't understand why wearing a flag pin and "showing your true patriotism" are mutually exclusive. I don't really care if he wears a pin or not, but it just seems beyond stupid to open yourself up to criticism for no real reason.
  16. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah Sen. Obama will still win regardless of the propoganda...
  17. BrAinPaiNt

60,444 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
    Agreed. I don't care if you wear a pin, have a nice little ribbon on your car and a bunch of the "cliche" things to show you are a patriot. I don't have any of those but I have served my country and have donated many things to the military soldiers and organized things for others to donate.

However, as you have said, it was stupid to say it like he did because it is only a way for the opposition to do what they do best...attack peoples patriotism even though theirs are the ones that should be questioned.

I had to laugh the other weekend. I like watching Bill mahers show because I find it funny. Although he is way to left for my taste I still find him funny.

Anyways they had a congressman or senator from Alabama or Georgia railing on Obama for not wearing a flag pin on his lapel...while at the same time this guy was not wearing one on his lapel.:laugh2:
  18. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It wasn't that he took the pin off that got him in trouble, it was his explanation. It was like he was trying to send a message by taking it off. And when you do that, then people will wonder what your motivation was.
  19. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,855 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I really wonder if any of these weird rumors or talk of him being "unpatriotic" would even exist if his name was John Smith instead of Barack Obama.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,444 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
    Yes they would because he is a liberal democrat who is against the war.

That is the main crux of it, however it is only ratcheted up some because they want to portray the Manchurian candidate angle as well.