1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Jerry taking more public heat than we've ever seen before?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MaineBoy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,683 Messages
    2,416 Likes Received
    This is the most I remember since the Jimmy breakup and the hiring of Switzer. The Campo days were lousy, obviously, but I don't recall this much outrage then. The difference is that most people realized Campo had no talent coming out of true cap hell. Now, people know we have talent, especially at the most important position on the field, because they've seen it before.

The team is just dreadfully underperforming, probably as much as Campo's teams when adjusted for the players we have.
  2. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,648 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    We are getting further and further away from the Superbowl era and Jimmy's recent demolishing of Jerry's attempt to take credit for those years is exacerbating the situation. There was some, perhaps a lot, of hope that smart Garrett or rational Stephen would be the saviors of this franchise after the team flat out quit on puppet #4 in 2010, but the enthusiasm for both seems to be fading fast.

With Romo clearly closer to decline than ever before, it's hard for fans IMO to find any tangible indications of major improvement over the horizon except for perhaps the development of a handful of promising young players. But those players, as good as they are, can't overcome inexperienced coaching or dysfunctional management on their own.
  3. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From What I've been told, you don't have to purchase season tickets every year, but you can't go more than 3 years in a row without buying season tickets.
  4. Cas2800

Cas2800 Member

368 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,088 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    that's because people have faulty memories.

jerry was considered the real coach while "poodle boy" was here. we traded high first round picks for joey galloway to see him flame out.
    campo was just a jerry puppet. we had hard knocks and qcar at qb. we lost to the houston texans. we were a full on laughingstock that wasn't competitive. we won 5 games a year but only because we weren't smart enough to lose more and have better draft picks.

jerry/lacewell got tremendous and deserved hate for terrible/terrible drafting.

and most people simply didn't realize that jimmy left because he was sick of being here. he was burned out. everyone blamed jerry for firing him as if jimmy was happy to stay here and coach forever but jerry wanted him gone to coach himself. --only jimmy's own admissions since have helped explain that situation.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,088 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    actually they are quite far-fetched.

dallas was competing for a playoff spot in week 17 last year... that didn't come close to happening under campo.

and i can't tell if you are predicting dallas will end up 6-10, saying it is inevitable that they will or merely saying that they are on that pace but ignoring the fact they played the hardest 8 games of any NFL team to start the season and get the 2nd or 3rd easiest final 8.

dallas in an unbiased schedule review is likely an 8-8 team as predicted by many to start the year. in a lot of ways that sucks terribly. but that isn't anywhere near being the dave campo years where you face the last place schedule and still can't win more than 5 games.

right now as sad as it is, dallas is in 2nd place in the nfc east.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,749 Messages
    1,933 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs this year, it will be the third consecutive season they've failed to make the playoffs. The last time they experienced such a streak was under Campo -- hence the comparison. And that's where the comparison ended.

Since those are two like things (i.e. two three-season stretches without a playoff appearance), I didn't find the comparison far-fetched. But if you do, more power to you.

The Cowboys are undoubtedly a better team now than they were back then, but that wasn't the basis of comparison.
  8. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,136 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Keep. Dreaming.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,800 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    How do you figure? Don't tell me 3-5 times two equals 6-10 either. You are smarter than that.
  10. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,328 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Risen Star I have to agree with all that you're saying.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,796 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Yes he is. And deservedly so.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,261 Messages
    1,898 Likes Received
    not near enough IMO
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,749 Messages
    1,933 Likes Received
    What do you want me to tell you?

I never claimed the Cowboys were absolutely, unequivocally, beyond a shadow of a doubt going to finish 6-10. But that is their current pace.

Last year, when the Cowboys were 4-4, I said they were on pace to finish 8-8 and got similar flack. Once again, I'm not speaking in absolutes. I'm just commenting on their pace. It could very well turn around.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,509 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Jerry's been taking this same kind of heat for years. He was asked after all three 5-11 seasons if he would ever consider hiring a GM. He's been under the same scrutiny and getting the same questions ever since he and Jimmy parted. He's been giving pretty much the same answers the entire time.
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,298 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I agree...I am to the point that I think every interview should be hostile toward Jerry.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Remember on Hard Knocks when Jerry was talking about having a Campo statue up like Landry's some day.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,298 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I disagree...this has a totally different tone to it. I don't remember Roger questioning Jerry in past. You even have Jimmy wanting to get into it again with Jerry. Throw on top of that your beat writers calling Jerry out on carpet with aggressive line of questions and you now have one very vulnerable Owner/GM. I don't care how much Jerry has in his pockets...if the people (fans) want him brought to his knees...they will make it happen.
  18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,509 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    You may hear a different tone but it sounds pretty much the same to me. Many have questioned Jerry on how he runs the team including Jimmy it's been going on ever since the great 90's teams started to decline. Jerry took a lot of heat when the Cowboys were going 5-11 three straight seasons which is why he went after Parcells. Staubach doesn't normally speak out negatively but he's a frustrated Cowboy fan like the rest of us. He sees the team is spinning it's wheels year after year and decided to give his opinion.

Staubach still sounds very optimistic when talking about the Cowboys. He said Jerry is a passionate owner who's trying hard and that Garrett is going to be heckuva NFL coach. :rolleyes: He mentioned if you go back to Belichick and even Landry at the beginning of their careers it wasn’t always hunky-dory. Roger still apologizes for the players, coaches and continues to show support for Jerry.

Listening to Jerry none of this latest criticism is fazing him he sounds as defiant as ever. He started receiving criticism the day he bought the team. He got skewered for the way he handled Landry's firing. The guy has skin as thick as an iguana and will not bow to any criticism or demand that he hire a GM. He's loves being in control and wants to win his way. The Cowboys are his team and he isn't going to let anyone tell him how to run it.

He's going to make sure if the Cowboys ever win another championship he'll get most of the credit. The only thing fans can do to show their displeasure in how he's running the team is to not purchase tickets to games. Empty seats at his billion dollar stadium will get his attention but no matter how mediocre the Cowboys are fans keep packing the stadium. The team remains a hot commodity even when it's losing.
  19. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Look, all we need is for Jerry to have one of his scotch filled nights end up in jail/controversy, just like what happened to George Steinbrenner (although different reasons).

Once George Steinbrenner was banned from baseball (1991 ish, I think), "Stick" Michael, the new GM built a successful with homegrown talent including Bernie Williams, Rivera and Jeter and won a bunch of titles from 1996 and on.

So no, Jerry doesn't have to die, just needs to do something stupid that gets him banned. To be honest, I'm surprised that hasn't happened already.
  20. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,882 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I'm sure he gets babysat like Dez.