1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Mike Jenkins protecting himself?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xvendettax914, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,414 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    I would like to see some of you guys out there with a big RB bearing down on you with a head of steam and see how you try to make the tackle. That back is a bigger load than Jenkins. No doubt Jenkins should have done better on that play but folks that was 1 play out of many he has played and has done a decent job as a CB making the tackles he needs to make.

Amazing 1 play out of many and people continue hammering him
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    One play out of 4 years of service does not make a career.
  3. Doomsday101

78,414 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Hard to convince some people of this fact. He did it that one time and has not done that since. Hell being human. :laugh2:
  4. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

964 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Are those just injuries in Chicago? Or Urlacher style hits? :lmao2: j/k
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    how on earth would he be "protecting" himself -- he needs to get on the field to earn a big pay day.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,167 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    I definitely think he's faking his injury a bit.

The guy wants out of here asap. He's just trying to get to free agency healthy.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,167 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    Did you see what Jerry paid Bernadeau and Livings? Unaccomplished players, and neither plays cornerback.

Corners get paid, and Jenkins has shown enough to interest multiple teams in desperate need of corners. Then, it's a bidding war.
  8. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,623 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Or how about he really is injured and is unable to physically perform.
  9. Doomsday101

78,414 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    That can't be it. :laugh2:
  10. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    I sincerely doubt that he is not playing so that he can get some mid-range contract when solid play -- really the level of play that he is capable of -- would bring a huge payday. He doesn't even have to cover a teams #1. I doubt very much that he is simply playing it safe to get that OK deal when he could get a giant one.

Oh yeah, Bern didn't get a giant contract. 4 years 11 mill is a very small deal. Even if he ended up as our C-G top backup, that wouldn't be a terrible deal
  11. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Nate Livings is only guaranteed $6.2M so if Dallas wanted to part ways with him it wouldn't be a detriment to the cap at all.

The way both players' contracts are structured is that they receive more money as they stay on the team, or in other words they are proving worthy to be on the roster.
  12. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Jenkins' body of work will not get him a big money contract and anyone who thinks so has vastly over rated his skills.

He is a huge risk because of that Baltimore game when he re-injured his shoulder.

I'm willing to bet that he will get a 1 year "prove-it" deal or similar contract from a team willing to put some risk into him.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dallas should have took the trade offer. Jenkins has had an attitude since the Carr signing. He is not a factor on the field and doesn't want to be a Cowboy.
  14. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,803 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    I've bookmarked this thread and I will up when free agency starts, what would you like to bet again?
  15. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,017 Messages
    591 Likes Received
    Do the Redskins have 1....1....CB that is better than him. He may do that....like Carlos Rogers did....and it worked out. Same thing Bennett did. He will get more next year...than he was ever going to earn in Dallas. But it is kind of hard to really showcase what you can do when you are not a starter. And he lost his starting job before mini camps started. He lost his starting job once carr and claiborned where on the team. So Jenkins was only going to show what he can do if someone got hurt. Well neither of those guys are hurt. So Jenkins needs to make it to free agency healthy. He cannot afford to have to be recovering from off season surgery when free agency starts. How can ANYONE blame him?
  16. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,204 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    Jenkins is definitely getting paid in the offseason. It won't be by Dallas, but some other poor team in desperate need will compensate him. Cover corners are at a premium in this league, and teams ALWAYS overpay in the offseason. I'm not saying he'll get what we gave Carr, but he'll get paid.
  17. Carl23

Carl23 Member

287 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Anyone that has ever had back spasms would tell you that recovery times are erratic, at best. I've been stuck in a bed and/or on a couch for 10 days and I've been up and about in 2 days. It all depends on how many muscles lock and how many want to be stubborn.

I will say that steroids help (at least in my 3x/year case).
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,602 Messages
    3,136 Likes Received
    This.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    None if that will matter if he ruins his shoulder.

Forget a big contract, he'll get nothing if he has to spend next year rehabbing the same shoulder.
  20. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    That it is pretty much how we structure every deal -- most of the longer term ones are going to have a sort of "break even" point, often after the third year, where the cap hit for cutting the guy is a wash with the salary savings. Bern's break even point is after one year. Livings is after his third year -- but his increased salaries in his final two years suggest that we'd likely renegotiate the deal or cut him at that point

Both were pretty low money deals in reality. Not that 99% of the folks on the board understand that at all.