1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Norv really an improvement?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FLCowboyFan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,150 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    A part of me wants Norv to come here and relive the glory days but has this offensive system really worked anywhere lately?

San Diego seemed to put up big numbers until the end of the year and then falter as well. With Norv will we just get more of the same? I hope so but is there a better system for us to invest in? What are the other systems out there other than the West Coast system pioneered by Walsh?
  2. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    The scary part about Norv is that he'll be perfectly positioned to take over as head coach when Garrett fails.
  3. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The biggest problem with the Coryell based systems are that they can be disrupted by aggressive DBs manhandling the receivers. There's going to be down games when the officials allow the muggings. Officials have a tendency to allow the players to play the later in the year it gets and in the playoffs.

It also doesn't allow for as much YAC as the defense can dictate the proper reads to be outs, comebacks and curls.
  4. FLCowboyFan

2,150 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    That makes sense that we see it fail late in the year then. What system do the Patriots run? Green Bay?
  5. weaver21

weaver21 Member

627 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I believe the Patriots run a spread offense. Not sure on Green Bay though.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,802 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    Let's put it this way. If Norv Turner was running our offense this past season absolutely nothing would have changed.
  7. FLCowboyFan

2,150 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I would love to hear from some of the knowledgable offensive minds on the board the various systems and their success and failure. Many of us have limited knowledge past Coryell and Walsh's west coast system. It is as good a way to speculate on what our changes will be as anything else :)
  8. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,115 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Norv would be a huge upgrade over Garrett as OC (who wouldn't be?) however I think Romo might fare very well in a West Coast Offense.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,965 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    That never happened with Irvin.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,384 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    Sorry stan, I love your analysis but I am not buying this. When Coryell was doing his thing, DBs could ride receivers around the field anywhere on the field. Fouts played in that environment and flourished.

Physical play will beat the jam and even the minimal handfightng that is still allowed from time to time downfield. That's why we go after big WR like we do.

Rushing success does not correlate to wins but rushing attempts do. Our problem is that we abandon the run and I am not exactly sure that Norv would buck that trend. I haven't followed SD much.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,664 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Over Garrett calling plays? Absolutely. I'm sure there are better options though.
  12. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,115 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Another year of Garrett calling the offensive shots makes me want to :puke:.
  13. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,052 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    Norv not an upgrade over JG as an OC...You are kidding right? He would be the best possible option. Mediocre head coach, and maybe the best OC. Maybe JG is a good HC, not yet, but maybe. He stinks as a game planner, play caller, game manager, game day adjustment maker. Before SD got rid of Sproles, Jackson, McNeil got hurt, they were one of the best, most diverse offenses in the league. JG would cut Sproles because he is short.
  14. FLCowboyFan

2,150 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I know he is talented but systems die off when the NFL changes. Who has won a SB with the Croyill system lately? I was hoping others had more offensive knowledge and could share thoughts on the systems behind the coordinators. Not just act like I'm an idiot for asking about Norv who runs a better version of our Offense.
  15. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Players were able to beat the jam because they were used to beating the jam. In today's NFL, size matters over quickness and players throw up there hands and complain about contact rather than using it to their advantage.

The most successful Coryell receivers were either quick like Jefferson/Joiner or had a sense of using the defender's own aggression against them like Irvin (hand fight, hand fight, push off, who are they going to call). They also had the benefit of a TE to challenge safeties like Winslow and Novacek. I think Witten is top 5 all-time but we see LBs running with him all the time.

You can look but prior to the Washington game I said that if the officials took a let them play attitude, Dallas' offense was in big trouble. Watch the all-22, they let them play down the field and it threw off the timing. The few games a year the officials took that attitude are the few games that Romo, and by extension Dallas, really struggled.
  16. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,109 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    What has San Diego done on offense that we haven't done here?

They have the exact same problems we do...
  17. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,842 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Norv is a good play caller.

I wouldn't oppose the move.
  18. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Norv was a great play caller when it was 3rd and 3 and Emmitt Smith would get four yards. He's had difficulty as a play caller everywhere he didn't have Smith.
  19. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,842 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Actually, he was a good play caller at Wash and San Diego too. He's failed as a HC. When he's only had to be the OC, he's been pretty good.
  20. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

205 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge fan of West Coast offenses, but when I look at our roster I really feel that the existing talent is better suited for that more so than a timing based offense. Romo is athletic and we have two WRs that can generate yardage after the catch. These are necessities for a good West Coast offense. Timing based passing attacks are predicated on the QB's accuracy, which isn't exactly Romo's hallmark characteristic. I'd prefer to bring in an OC with roots off of the west coast tree rather than watch Norv try to turn Tony Romo into something he's not.