1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is OL really that bad?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jrcowboys, Feb 14, 2013.

1. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

886 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    True. As a European (read: born to watch soccer over football) I've always seen Romo as the equivalent of a Maradona or Messi. A playmaker with exceptional footwork and capability to avoid pressure on his own.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,166 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I agree on Berny, I think he is like Gurode, better center than guard. If Berny becomes the center, who do you think takes over at RG? I would love for Moore to be signed, great veteran who would really help Parnell. I hope they don't think Arkin or Leary is the answer.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    It's actually worse than most realize.
  4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,268 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I did see that review you posted about Bernadeau at center and it was good to hear. I didn't watch him closely in that game. I wonder if the team wanted to look at him at center all along last year, but the injury derailed that.
  5. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

554 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    What about the poor rushing game? I believe we averaged roughly 64 yards a game.

Pretty pathetic.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,212 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    I'll second that.
  7. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

554 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I agree. We can't get by with 4 JAGs. There has to be an infusion of talent on the line or 2013 will be a repeat of 2012.
  8. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

877 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Nice job xman. Its good to know there is some sanity still left out here.

5 lineman, all of them playing at their respective positions for the first time together, in a completely new offense.

Center and right tackle hurt us badly. Free just doesn't have the heart to play. Has the talent, but not the guts. He got paid and he's probably happy to just float by now. And Cook was like our 3rd or 4th option at center.

Don't expect big changes here. Callahan said he likes the guys we have. Parnell is the big question mark at this point. I think the team really likes Costa and IF he can stay healthy he is a big upgrade from what we had.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    this is amusing
  10. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    If they were kitchen utincels, all Five would be colanders.
  11. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,791 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Bernadeau was worse earlier in the season, possibly because of his injury setback. Livings was worse late in the season.

Bernadeau started out getting beaten badly in pass protection and in the run game. Livings started out beating his opponent in both with his power.

Bernadeau started moving better and his pass protection improved. Defenders seemed to figure out how to beat Livings with quickness.

Neither is ideal at guard. They are JAGs whom their former teams didn't value enough to keep. Dallas was hoping to strike gold and instead have hit tin, but for some reason, the Cowboys seem to think that loading the line with JAGs is good enough.
  12. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Just looking at depth charts, seems like most of the complete OL's in terms of their team finishing near the top in rushing yards AND least sacks allowed last year include at least 3 high draft picks. Don't think this is coincidence. Kind of a sharp contrast to our OL which over the last couple of years has been mostly populated by no-names and journeyman-types. Not just to the benefit of the OL but overall we have to start drafting consistently well enough that we get to the point we're set at most spots with starters that are good enough to be at their spots long-term. We have to get to the point where we don't need to perennially use the draft and FA to patch holes in the starting lineup and instead the draft and FA eventually only become necessary to build up depth.