1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Romo just in a slump or is he on the Downside?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BTX, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    This is Romo 10 year in the league so its not a stretch to assume some of his physical quality is dwindling. It won't stop Dallas from handcuffing themselves with another contract for 30+ player on wrong side of his playing career.
  2. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Handcuffing them from picking up Peyton Manning in the offseason as a free agent. Oh, yeah that happens once every 20 years.

There are so many options out there!!!

I'll take Tony and just listen to you complainers for another 5 years hopefully!
  3. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Exactly..I never hear a name...ever. I just assume there's some messiah out there not named quincy, or chad hutchinson that will take us to the promised land, but I never hear an idea ever, I just hear that's a typical cowboyszone/Romo lover answer when asked for an answer.
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,348 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    I haven't thought about it that way, but I'm with you.
  5. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    '
    I hate to say it but I feel the same way.
  6. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good post. At some point we have to blame the guy that is throwing the ball for all of these picks. Enough excuses for Romo.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    How many of those 67% are within 7 yards of the LOS - I think a lot. This is different from past situations where Romo used to be up around 63-67% but with throwing the ball down the field a lot more.

Romo is definitely having the worst season of his career thus far. Now hopefully he can turn it around over the last half of the year - he was very good over this stretch last year. He now has a better defense to backstop him if he can get in going with Dez and Austin.

I am actually quite hopeful that a healthy Felix, some slightly improved play along the OL (? return of Costa) and a weak schedule down the stretch will launch us to a 6-1 finish to the year and a playoff berth. But Romo definitely needs to get it going for us to have a chance.
  8. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,688 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    as i've watched the season, i tend to lean towards a downside.

his arm just isn't the same anymore. His accuracy has been terrible compared to every other year.

he is scared back there, understandably so, but once you get gun shy you stay gun shy.

QB's careers have come apart after a couple seasons of bad o-line play.

he's a good QB, exciting to watch, but we need to start thinking about rebuilding.
  9. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    I just hope we hedge our bets and draft a QB early...
  10. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Who?? Name a name. Anyone, just name a name who our next qb is?? I just want a name, that's all. Who are we gonna draft or sign and let Romo walk..
  11. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    considering we won't draft a qb in the 1st maybe grab E.J. Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd if he's still there,he does need some work but could be really good with the right mentor( Romo for a few yrs)
    ehh just my opinion but would be nice to have a young qb back there learning sooner rather than later

edit:not saying let Romo walk think the best thing would be for him to learn from TRomo for a few
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,823 Messages
    4,892 Likes Received
    It's easy to see why Romo may seem off this year. Robinson is gone and no one has stepped up. OTree is is replacement? Really? Romo is back to running for his life more time than not. There is plenty of blame to go around. Any offense we generate seems completely dependent on Romo making a play. Is he having the worst season of his career? Maybe. But it's my opinion the only reason we are having any success this year is because of him not despite him.
  13. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A qb I wanted the Boys to draft was Kirk Cousins. I think that dude could be a good one to bad he's a skin.
  14. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Very well said. As I've said in other threads, this offseason presents a pretty serious fork in the road for the organization. We either trade Romo for a solid package of picks and players and kickstart a partial retooling, or we double down with this core and face a complete and total rebuild in 3 years.

I'd personally trade Romo and start the process this offseason, but knowing Jerry, we'll hang on to all of these guys until the bitter end and get nothing for them.
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,511 Messages
    2,505 Likes Received
    Targets 20+ Yards Downfield
    (as a percentage of total attempts)
    2012 11.0%
    2011 11.7%
    2010 11.3%
    2009 7.8%
    2008 13.1%

Rather than seeing the number of downfield targets decrease over the last 5 seasons, we see that Romo threw deep the most when he had Owens ('08) or Robinson ('11), and the least when he had Austin and Crayton ('09).

Romo is still throwing the ball down the field. Both Miles and Dez are on a pace to have the most 20+ yard targets of their careers. And that's a bigger part of the problem than most people realize. Deep routes, or even intermediate-to-deep routes, are not their strength. Dez is (we hope) still emerging in this area, and Austin's specialty is catch-and-run.

Even at 15 yards or more beyond the LOS, neither Austin nor Bryant has ever been targeted more than 30 times in any one season. This year, Austin is on a pace for 48 such targets, and Bryant is on a pace for 41. For comparison's sake, last year, Robinson and Bryant had the same number of 15+ yard targets, even though Bryant was on the field for 127 more pass plays than Robinson.

Basically, Romo lost his go-to receiver for anything 15 yards or more downfield. He lost his leader in touchdowns, yards per target, and passer rating on passes targeted. In essence, he lost his most dependable, most efficiently productive receiver.
  16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    Romo has his little following of cult faithful that over the last 6 years, always have a different excuse year after year. When they run out of excuses, they always have the offensive line in their back pocket.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to be mediocre, and at the end of his career, his cult followers will have a million excuses as to why he couldn't win but 1 playoff victory in his entire career.
  17. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I guess it's in the back pocket because it's always been true. How many sacks has he avoided? He's been sacked how many times the past two games? Like 8? Could have EASILY been 16.

LESS than a year ago he had one of his best years ever...now, less than a year later people are wondering if he's onthe downside? Please.