1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is The Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Monopoly In Danger?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by sonnyboy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Almost no teams want to play on Thanksgiving. It's a short prep week and ruins the rhythm of the practice week. The only people that want to change it are sports writers.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    The best argument in our favor is that Detroit proves it is not a huge advantage for us to have this game. If Detroit dominated on Thanksgiving as well, they might change things.

Another factor in our favor is the ratings Dallas' games pull. Trust me, the networks are our allies on this.

I doubt we have anything to worry about for a long time.
  3. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,176 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    I know I'm probably alone on this, but I hope they take it away from us.

For years growing up we always sat down to dinner around halftime and I would miss the entire %&*$%@ 2nd half. Now that I'm married every other year we go to my in-laws, or more accurately we go to a restaurant with my in-laws because they don't cook, and I always miss the whole game.

This year we are going to a relative's house and she doesn't even own a friggin TV.

So please, take the bloody game away so I can watch it on Sunday.... ;)
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,952 Messages
    1,531 Likes Received
    It is time to step it up and leave your family.

And are you going back in time to have dinner at your relative's house? Doesn't own a TV. You can find TVs on the side of the road.
  5. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,176 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Good Gawd, the answer was in front of me the whole time.....

~packs bags~
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Even though it is not a holiday in Canada, I always take US Thanksgiving off just to watch the Cowboys.

I vaguely remember the Cowboys losing to Atlanta in Atlanta in 1976 (Bubba Bean had a big day) and then in 1977, the Cardinals were hammered by the Dolphins something like 55-10 (or was it the other way around). Every other year, we have played the second game on US Thanksgiving.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    That could not have been in Atl because Dallas has played every Thanksgiving In Dallas. I been to every one except the 1st 2 years
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,952 Messages
    1,531 Likes Received
    They played St. Louis in 1976 and no one in 1977.

http://www.dallascowboysfanclub.com/history/thanksgivingday.htm
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Ah ok. Amazing how the memory from when you were 10 years old plays tricks on you.
  10. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,110 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    TG is my favorite holiday and anyone that knows me knows why !

Food, Beer, Football on a day of work, sheesh how easy.

What I like is that we play a home game every year which gives us an advantage in travel. Plus we have adjusted to this as a team where its always new to the visiting team. Big advantage...

Then, what I call the "Mini-bye" which charges us up for the homw stretch.

No one wanted to do it, so we did it...Once other teams discovered their mistake, its too late. Its whats called a tradition.
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,879 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    Yes, this was mentioned a few years back.

Lamar Hunt wanted to take the game away from Dallas and rotate teams every year, but leave the Lions game stay. Hunt is still PO'd he was the team that had to leave Dallas, didn't last 3 years, so took his team to KC in 1963 I believe.

But the NFL (surprised Tabliabue didn't get his way) said the Cowboys games stay and if anything they would consider adding a 3rd game to play at night time and rotate each year. But nothing has been said since.
  12. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I do like the "tradition" of the Thanksgiving game...but honestly, I hate that the game is played every year in Dallas...during family commitments....leaving me with no game for Sunday...and split attention at best when trying to watch in the middle of a house full of noisy relatives.
  13. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I think I posted this on another message board, but this Thanksgiving will complete 40 years of the Cowboys playing on the Turkey holiday.

Dallas played every Thanksgiving except for two: 1975 and 1977.

Dallas has always played the late game as the Lions played the early game.

Now remember, on Thanksgiving, Detroit and Atlanta's early game starts a half hour earlier.

Everyone talks about the Lions tradition, however, people need to remember that 40 years is a long time too - which to me, qualifies as a tradition. For the NFL to take away that from Dallas is just being a hater.
  14. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

If there was a real smart marketer out there, they'd create a 40 year Thanksgiving history of the Dallas Cowboys DVD. I know I'd buy it in a second.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    There is a word for you, they call it p-whipped.:p: You should at least get a small tv to bring along. You can get one from wally world for $100 bucks these days. They also have these things called tivos and vcrs for the dinosaurs out there.
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,879 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    LOL.
    Everyone knew in my family, and my, now, ex-wife (hmmm, wonder if this had anything to do with it :laugh2: ) T-Day was my day, and no one interrupted me during the game, or any other game matter of fact. Our dinners were planned around the game, no excuses. Someone had to have been dead to change plans, and that would have been very difficult to take me away from the game. I probably would have said something lke "hey, their dead, they are not going anywhere, it can wait" :lmao2:
  17. knownkillers

knownkillers New Member

15 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thought is was strange that Madden wasn't here this year with his multi-leg turkey award that always seem to go the Offensive Lineman with most belly hanging over their pants that day.
    Didnt get to watch Det-Atl game so don't know if he was anouncing that game , but I though he always gave the play-by-play on Thanksgiving.