1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is there evidence other teams were going to pounce on Lawrence early? Or were they trigger happy?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Awakened, May 9, 2014.

1. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    I am sad that we lost that 3rd of course..

When the team is sold on a player that much to go snag him, I have faith in them. They have more knowledge than we do, and have worked him out and done their research on the kid.

Betting Marinelli raved about this guy.

Now we have 2 players so far that Marinelli raves and loves in Lawrence/Melton.
  2. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Im actually all in favor of the trade. It also reminded me of Max Unger and that people were critical of us for not trading up to get him, thinking that he was going to be there. We were wrong. It sucks giving a 3rd rounder to the Skins but we got what we wanted and they are happy with it.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    Yea but they screwed up the picks so it worked out
  4. ConstantReboot

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    I think they would be more pissed if they didn't do this trade and Lawrence was picked. LOL I would be too.
  5. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm beginning to come around to be more okay with the move. Seeing Adam's real world value chart helped a little. And in a situation like that - when they had a 1st round grade on the guy, they believe there is a big drop-off after him, at a position of extreme need, Chrichton was maybe off the board with a medical, well, I can see the reasoning. In general I like the value of more picks, especially in a deep draft. But here, I can see their thinking.

Now he just needs to prove them right.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Where is the evidence that atlanta was offering their fourth to move up to get him?
  7. iceberg

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    I meant the skins screwed up the picks
  8. iceberg

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    Norm reported it
  9. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    I like the player. He could turn into a very good DE. He actually reminds me of what Ware looked like coming out of college. But,there are reasons he was passed up 30+ times before we got him. I just don't think he was worth a 3rd rounder.
    bkight13 likes this.
  10. iceberg

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    How many teams passed on Brady?

How many times?
    Plumfool likes this.
  11. ConstantReboot

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Yeah they did. Honestly I would rather have Lawrence over Murphy.
  12. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    But would you rather have Lawrence over Murphy plus Terrance Brooks, Louis Nix, Will Sutton or Donte Moncrief?
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    The Cowboys likely would have taken DT Jernigan and OG Turner.

Outside chance they would have taken Attaochu as a need pick over Jernigan but I think they probably go for the better player on their board.
  14. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    I'm happy with the pick. And we needed to trade up to get our guy because Atlanta wanted him. Third best edge rusher in the draft behind Clowney and Mack who both went top 5. We probably would have taken him at 16 if Martin was gone and we couldn't trade back. So we got two 1st rounders. Nothing wrong with that. We still need a lot of help on the D-line though. It'll take more than just this season. We just need to not be the worst defense in the league this year. It took about 3 years to solidify the O-line, so hopefully our D-line will be a strength by 2015 or 2016. Jerry thinks Romo has 3-4 years left so we're probably trying to build a team for him to at least have one chance to win a Super Bowl. Sadly, it'll probably be his very last year. But then our next QB will be spoon-fed like Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Flacco, Big Ben and other QBs blessed with a great team.
  15. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,304 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    I'm tired of price was high blah blah . Woopie doooo we have up a 3rd ! Big deal get over it .
    StarHead69 likes this.
  16. ConstantReboot

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    I'm not a big fan of Nix and think of him as nothing more than a space eater. Will Sutton is a risk. He might have eaten his way to obscurity. Any of them would be worth giving up for Lawrence if he pans out to what the Cowboys think he'll be.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,461 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Third rounders are not trash and giving up a 3rd is a big deal..............Terrance Williams, currently our starting receiver opposite Dez, was a 3rd round pick last year.

Now I am not criticizing the trade up, if they think he was the last pure pass rusher in the draft then they had to pay the price to move up. But understand the price was high, a third round pick is probably a starter if your scouts know what the hell they are looking at.

They made the determination that Demarcus was worth 2 starters, only time will tell if they are right. Sometimes trade ups work out and sometimes they don't. We traded up for Dez and hit gold and we traded up for Claiborne and that trade is not looking so good right now. I think it is fair to say that he has not lived up to the billing of what you expect out of the 6th overall pick and trading that 2nd rounder to move up looks like a huge blunder at this point.
    khiladi, Dodger12 and BulletBob like this.
  18. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,304 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    I'm tired of price was high blah blah . Woopie doooo we have up a 3rd ! Big deal get over it .
    a 3rd is not a starter for most teams. Lets be realistic did you see those two terrible players in the 3rd the packers took today? those are not starters.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,882 Messages
    4,452 Likes Received
    Not sure where people get the idea a third round pick is a starter. I posted a chart on this within the last few months on this and 3s often don't start right away if at all. They do provide significant snaps though so they are valuable picks.
  20. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,342 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    I think the Unger debacle was where the slide begin along with the entire 2009 draft. hard to believe