1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is this about to become Aikman in 1999 and 2000 all over again

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    The back problems are worrying me that Romo's about to become Aikman, Favre, Young, etc. Star QBs who can't walk anymore but want to hang on.

What was considered a "minor procedure" in the offseason we learned never healed. Don't see it getting much better for a 34-35 y/o QB
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    This is a HUGE fear of mine.
    lostar2009 and Mr Cowboy like this.
  3. dwight

dwight Active Member

852 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    If Jerry has learned from the Aikman situation, he will draft a QB this year. This draft is deep with QBs. I'm raving over Connor Shaw from South Carolina right now.
    DoctorChicken likes this.
  4. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Agreed, this is a major concern.
  5. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,141 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    That's exactly my thinking and if it happens then we'll truly start a rebuilding process, that's why this past 4 years have been very frustrating, we've wasted Romo's best years,
    BigStar, khiladi and dragon_mikal like this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,835 Messages
    5,412 Likes Received
    I wouldn't worry. The second this thing becomes a train wreck our GM will be right on it. I can assure you.
  7. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,214 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    just try tossing a pass with anything on it and feel the torque in your back, after two surgeries I'm afraid he's pretty much done. The Cowboys know Orton can produce if needed but it's time to start looking draft. I thought we had Tony until the end of next season, but it doesn't look good.
    lostar2009 likes this.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,835 Messages
    5,412 Likes Received
    Just a reminder, many of these guys proclaimed Peyton Manning done too.

Let's hope Romo is that form of done.
    jobberone likes this.
  9. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

665 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    We cant pick low enough to pick an elite first round QB in the draft. Getting a great QB in later rounds is possible, but very unlikely.Its going to take a disaster of a season to get another franchise QB.
  10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,105 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    So many want to act like removing a cyst is some major back surgery. But it is not comparable in any way to a herniated disc surgery. I know some people want to assume the cyst thing is fake and he had some other major structural procedure, but there is no evidence for that. And people realize it's been 20 years since Aikman had his surgery. He won 2 suoerbowls following the surgery and medicine has made tremendous advances since then. Let's not freak out. Now if only there was a surgery to remove the ginger cancer.
    dragon_mikal and Coy like this.
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I think Tony will be fine, but he's not get any younger. I think we've got two more solid years with him which makes me sick that we are keeping the red headed idiot another year. His career wasted by a guy in the mgmt training program!
    dragon_mikal and Coy like this.
  12. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,141 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    The thing is, he will be 34 next season, that's kind of old in the NFL, I love romo, I hope he is OK but you have to take everything into consideration.
    dragon_mikal likes this.
  13. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    4 of the top 6 QBs this year were at least 32. I understand back issues are a crap shoot by and large, but 34 is prime time years for a lot of QBs.
    treykin32 likes this.
  14. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,141 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    i really hope you are right, he gives us the best chance to win, if only he had a good HC.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    1,102 Likes Received
    I wouldn't put Favre in that category -- he was healthy until his last season at age 40. In the 3 years before that he led two different teams (The Packers and the Vikings) the NFC Championship game and had threw for 83 TDs and had a season with 96 QB rating and another with a 107 QB rating.
  16. noshame

3,214 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Apples and oranges.
  17. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,978 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    Hey..

Try to understand the difference b/w fear and realty.

Its reality.

Fear implies that it hasn't happened yet.

It has.
  18. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,341 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    we didn't learn that

outside of your speculation, obviously we are concerned when a 30+ year old athlete has back problems.
  19. noshame

3,214 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Newsflash there was more to it than just a cyst. I bet you were one that actually thought tony was going to play last week? Obviously Tony had some disc work on the first surgery, the recovery time made that a no brainer, it also didn't fix the problem. Will the last surgery fix the problem, likely for a normal 30 something guy, but for a 34 yr old NFL QB, not likely, you'll see a Romo at 75% next year at best. no evidence? Good Lord.
    StevenOtero and BigStar like this.
  20. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Romos back never healed from last years surgery. Maybe he needs to be like Peyton and take a year off.