1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is this team cursed?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bkight13, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,903 Messages
    2,711 Likes Received
    There is no such things as a sports curse. We haven't executed well enough. That isn't because of a broken mirror, or a witch doctor, or spitting in the eye of the village witch, or a bargain with God. God doesn't care if we win or lose and there is no curse.

The only cursing is the rest of us when we see them screw up. That's not the same thing by any wild stretch.
  2. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

789 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Or, removed blessings?
  3. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    That's actually a worthwhile video to watch. Shows a side of Jerry I had not seen before. Almost made me understand his mindset a but more...
  4. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    THIS HERE 100%
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    This. People make mistakes. No amount of coaching can improve personal responsibility and character.
  6. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Teams are built with finding good players that make the core of the team in the lower rounds. I am not sure about the curse, but we are not lucky either. When we had top 10 picks, we don't have HOF players available in the draft for us (Newman, Roy Williams, Greg Ellis) where us other teams could get good players like Troy Polamalu and Haloti Ngata in the teens.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,798 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I think this team is cursed with fans. No body in mind. But i think this team aswell as every other iconic team has fans that go overboard.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,979 Messages
    9,071 Likes Received
    Let's hope it's not the entire family but just the nut currently in charge.

I don't have any faith in that, but I have hope.
  9. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    In his mind, he's not messing up. The Dallas Cowboys are still one of the most (if not THE most) valuable franchises in sports. He's making money, and lots of it.

In the video, he talked about fear of being broke again. He's not going to change what's working for him.

Note to Cowboy fans: we alone have the power to change what's working for him.
  10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,599 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Jerry bought 3 rings, they basically invented the cap because of what Jerry and Eddie D were doing in the 90s.

Ever since a level playing field has been established, this team has been consistently mediocre.

Wasn't until the Tuna showed up did things start to change.
  11. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Yep, I'm replying to my own post (it's OK, I talk to myself a lot LOL)

Upon further review, I'm not sure that even we have the power to change Jerry's fate. As we've seen (to our embarrassment) all throughout the 2012 season during home games, Jerry has no problem filling the stadium up with fans of our opponents. The more Cowboy fans stay home, the more tickets become available for Redskins fans, Eagles fans, etc. And having built a stadium that everyone wants to see....well, someone once said "if you built it, they will come." Money is money, and he doesn't care if it comes from a diehard Cowboys' fan or a diehard Giants' fan, right?

Everything else is shared, so when someone in NOLA buys a Drew Brees jersey, some of that money goes in Jerry's pocket.

I guess we can't win.
  12. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

699 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Frame this.
  13. Risen Star

21,979 Messages
    9,071 Likes Received
    How exactly was that 90's dynasty bought?
  14. Hostile

118,903 Messages
    2,711 Likes Received
    Blood and sweat of the players.
  15. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Without a cap and getting the best players available.

Oh, and Jimmy Johnson was the cog.

Redskins, Cowboys, 49ers, and the Giants had the deepest pockets (figuratively). And therefore the deepest teams.
  16. Hostile

118,903 Messages
    2,711 Likes Received
    The players we got were almost exclusively through the Draft and Plan B Free Agency. In other words, shrewd personnel decisions by Jimmy Johnson and Bob Ackles.
  17. SkinsandTerps

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I still envy that trade. Don't think for a second that Gil didn't have a somewhat advisory role.

The point is still valid that it was more than just the blood and sweat of players, and that Jimmy was the key/glue.
  18. Risen Star

21,979 Messages
    9,071 Likes Received
    Right. It couldn't be further from the truth. Money had nothing to do with those teams.
  19. SkinsandTerps

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Those teams were willing to pay for depth. A veteran throw away player from another team...sign him up. Depth.
  20. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Had it been a simple matter of money, we would have been able to keep that incredibly deep, constantly rotating D-line together. We would have been able to keep Ken Norton, Jr. We wouldn't have lost Alvin Harper to the Bucs. Had it been all about money, we would have won another 2 or 3 Super Bowls.