1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is this team cursed?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bkight13, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Thus the reason Jimmy was the key to it all.

You didn't need those guys at that point.
  2. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Who for instance?
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,783 Messages
    10,086 Likes Received
    I wouldn't waste my time with such a ridiculously uninformed statement.
  4. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    The only player I can think of is Deion, and that was after we took prisoners. Plan B? Other than Jay Novacek, who was our big Plan B coup that no one else had a chance at? When we got him we were hardly all world.

I just don't know where money bought that team other than Jones buying it from Bum Bright. That was a team that was built, not bought. Hells bells, our best player had to hold out for a contract he had earned.
  5. SkinsandTerps

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Gentlemen, can we start with Bernie and Jason ?

Throw away players, but solid depth. Certainly not drafted by the Cowboys.

Not to mention Nate Newton.

Come on guys.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,783 Messages
    10,086 Likes Received
    Deion was the one significant free agent signing and that was only for the 3rd title. If one signing constitutes trying to buy a championship I guess the entire league is guilty of it.

It was a completely ignorant statement.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Is this team cursed? No.

Do they have a bunch of morons as players? Yes
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I'm thinking he might be mistaking the acquisitions of players such as Haley and Casillas for free agency moves, when in fact they were well orchestrated personel moves via trade. Just a WAG, but I don't know what else it could be.
  9. SkinsandTerps

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Not at all. Take a look at the players the Redskins and 49ers acquired. Not free agency...spending on depth.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,807 Messages
    5,960 Likes Received
    The Cowboys had some "help" from the NFL. How many teams have had rules made specifically to make that team less competitive?

Erik Williams - Hands to the face rule.
    Michael Irvin - Offensive pass interference (push-off). They changed the way this rule was called.
    Roy Williams - Horse Collar.
    Salary Cap - Only the Cowboys and Skins were penalized.
  11. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Nate Newton was a USFL guy. Anyone could have signed him when that league folded and he signed with the Cowboys in 1986, the Landry years. That isn't buying him.

Bernie? Kosar? The guy who started exactly one game and threw only 63 passes for us? Wow.

Jason who? The only one I can think of is Garrett. He was a CFL and World League refugee.
  12. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    That team never bought anything.

In fact the opposite is true, the whole rest of the league outspent us on our own players.

We kept losing excellent players year after year and replacing them.

Saying we bought championships tells me you do not know anything about that time period and probably were not old enough to have watched it.
  13. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Did any of these incidents happens 6 weeks after a teammate was killed by another teammate driving drunk?

The Ratliff incident is, to me, different.
  14. rat2k8

rat2k8 Well-Known Member

813 Messages
    260 Likes Received

NO not cursed. It is just Jerry making things very uncomfortable for us.
  15. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Umm what?

Jason Garrett. He was a ps guy, then Steve buerlein left and we signed Rodney peete, Garrett had to beat out Hugh Millen to be the 3rd string qb, he got the nick name Rudy after beating out Millen.

This might be the dumbest reasoning I have ever seen to slander the cowboys.
  16. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    The Cowboys signed a ton of plan B free agents. I remember Novacek and Rob Awalt and James Washington.

Can't remember if Ray Horton was or not. Most of them made no impact at all. They traded for Casillas and Haley, those weren't FAs.

Regardless, the FAs until Deion weren't high $$ players. Jimmy signed a bunch of the Plan B guys in 1990 because the Cowboys needed bodies. Most of the elite players and the depth came via the draft.

To the broader point, yes, the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, Pats, etc have an enormous advantage over the rest of the league. Because of their $$, they can do things many other teams can't if they want to remain profitable. If, for example, Aaron Rodgers somehow got out of his contract in GB and hit the open market, he would command the largest contract in league history. He'd get something absurd, like a $50M signing bonus or more. Most teams simply can't afford to cut that check, while Jones and Snyder would have to re-write the check after drooling on it.

Which makes the pathetic results of the Cowboys (and the Redskins), far worse than they're really been the last several years. They've played from a deck stacked in their favor and still can't get close to winning.
  17. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    That is true, however, in this situation it hits harder since it happened just a few days after the Brent tragedy.
  18. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    And lately that's saying something!
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I don't know. All the blame JJ gets is legitmate, he created the circus atmosphere, but there just seems to be some really bad luck or karma surrounding us since the late 90's. Other teams have been mismanaged and less talented and have been to the Super Bowls. The NYG have 2 of the luckiest championships I have ever witnessed. Eli consistently chucks the ball down field and somehow his guys come down with it. The Raiders, the Panthers, the Bucs have all been to the SB and back to the bottom.

I guess we are cursed to be mediocre, not bad enough for the top picks and a complete rebuild, but not good enough for a championship run. At least CLE, BUF, JAX, DET, KC and MIA fans know they stink.
  20. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

931 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    No curse.Just a poorly ran franchise.