1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is this the Golden Era of the QB or are too many tagged "Elite QBs?"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by BringBackThatOleTimeBoys, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

784 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    RGIII
    Andrew Luck
    Collin Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

Do we have the best bumper crop of quarterbacks since the Class of 83, or have we watered down the definition of elite QB?
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,056 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    I'd go with both. Especially if you're considering any of those guys 'elite' already.
  3. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,835 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    It's the golden era of can't touch the receiver and QB.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,062 Messages
    1,615 Likes Received
    I think there are some very good QB out there I also think many throw around the label Elite way to quick. Win a SB and the QB is now elite. :lmao2:

Give me a break if 1 or 2 season makes a player elite then people using it does not know the meaning of the word.

Balt wins a SB and all of a sudden Flacco is getting called elite? Elite athletes be it in football or any other sports produce on a consistently high level year in year out. In Track Usain Bolt is an elite track star not because he ran a great race at the Olympics but because he produces every time he hits the track.

Michael Jordon was Elite because year in year out he ranked at the top of his profession

Yet so many here will take 1 or 2 season of a career and act as if that player is elite because his team won a championship? Talk about lowering the standard of what a true elite athlete is.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Right. The way the game is played today has diluted what it means to be an elite QB.

I think that lots of guys, though talented, have numbers inflated by the systems that they play in. That might cause people to call them elite, when in reality, they are not. Guys like Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, and Romo, however, are elite in virtually any system.
  6. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Not in the golden era of QBs... we're in the golden era of hpyerbole.

Really, 'Elite' is being used incorrectly. If we're really speaking of 'Elite' QBs you can really only include Peyton and Brady. No one else is really on their level when you factor in their ability and body of work.

We're just in a pass heavy league now with rules that favor the offense. A lot of the guys probably won't be remembered nearly as well as their billed up to be right now.

For reference sake, here are a few passing leaders from 1994 in no order-- a true golden era of QBs:

Elway
    Marino
    Young
    Montana
    Kelly
    Favre
    Aikman
    Moon
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,234 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    This. The game has been skewed so much that it's gotten to a point where QBs have become too influential as to outcomes of games. Because you can't really play as physically with QBs, from a defensive prospective, the game has become much easier for them to produce. What you have now is a different breed of QB that probably could not have existed in years past. Are they Elite? By traditional definitions, perhaps. Perhaps the definition needs to be revised.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,234 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    I think the kid in New Orleans belongs on that current list.
  9. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    He'd probably have to be the only other guy that I would include. Most yards in a season + best completion % in a season... twice! Pretty impressive.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    It is much easier to look elite when the defenses arent allowed to play defense anymore.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    The word elite is WAY overused.
    I'd say there are maybe 4 in the league that should be called elite....certainly none listed in the OP. Not yet anyway.

But we do have more quality QBs in the league now than ever before, imo.
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,512 Messages
    903 Likes Received
    I wish fans from other teams didn't look at Romo as elite, after he had won two Super Bowls.

That would be great.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,928 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    I think you're seeing what happens when teams look beyond the prototype.

Rather than a player having to be a certain height or have a certain amount of arm strength, right now more than ever teams seem to be looking for guys who are smart and can get the job done.

Also, teams are now considering the QBs who can run very well even if their pure passing ability isn't leading the class of their draft.
  14. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

587 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    These guys are label very good qbs right now and they may need another year or two to become elite. There is no water down in the definition these young guys are doing more with less time and talent.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,234 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received

I think you have a point. I think teams are looking beyond that but I also think it is, in small part, due to the fact that Defenses can no longer play the same way they have played in the past. Now, because of this, you can get away with playing more spread or option read. You can expose your QB more because of some of the rule changes. These kinds of QBs were always there, they just didn't fit the NFL because in the past, the rules were different and it was more dangerous to expose your QB in the ways these kinds of offenses do. Now, that's changed and NFL personnel people have changed as well.

At least, that is my opinion on the subject.
  16. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The definition of an "Elite" QB is quite simple really. Defining the term can be broken down into 2 categories.....

1. WINS (The bigger the stage, the better)
    2. SUPERIOR STATS which suggest you are a major reason why your team is successful. Being Top 5 at your position while amassing wins with AT LEAST one title peppered into your career is the mark of an "Elite" QB.

With this definition in mind, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and P. Manning are the game's current "Elite" QBs.

Knocking on the door of elitism is Ryan, Romo, Eli (with more regular season consistency), and Roethlisburger (staying healthy and more robust regular season stats to suggest he is a large reason why his team is a winner).

The future of RG3, Wilson, Luck, and Kaepernick can all be "Elite" by simply winning games, big time games, and looking great doing so.

Flacco although a Champion may not be "Elite" to many people because his regular season career stats don't suggest he is the major reason of Baltimore's success (Ray Rice, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed might have something to say about that).

Now, I understand my 2 Point Definition of "Elite QB" leaves a loophole for the likes of Marino, Moon, Kelly, and Tarkenton. But if we're defining a TRUE "Elite" QB, Super Bowl wins have to be factored in and the QB participating in the SB has to be a major reason why they got there, and why they ultimately win the whole thing.
  17. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

283 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Um, elite is defined by who won this year. Of course this is the media. And for those of us with a brain say HUH???
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,835 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I agree, it's almost impossible to compare them to any older players now. When a record is broken (passing yards record I believe) by about 3 people in one season, you know something isn't right. Didn't Brees, Rodgers, and Brady all pass that record in the same season?
  19. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

283 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    If I might, I would like to talk about Peyton Manning. Just a few short weeks ago, the MVP, the king of the hill - a sure lock according to the media. And then you made a few mistakes, and you are forgotten. And what he himself did for the Denver team. Oh jeez.

And believe me, as a Pats fan, no reason for me to stick up for him. But I feel for the guy. And respect his talent and what he has brought to the game. And all the fun games I got to watch -- Pats vs Indy - some great games.

We are all nothing but the time of the moment forgetting what someone has brought to football. And yeah, I put Brady right up there as well. And hope he is treated better than Manning was. Respect. And I believe Kraft will do that.

Sure there are some elite guys out there. But Flacco, not ready for that yet. And Romo, are you kidding me???

I don't know if anyone else feels as I do. But what you did for me in the last few seconds does not cut it for me.

And let the season begin. Yikes, that is a long wait. But Flacco as an elite QB, are you kidding me?? Talk to me next year when someone else is mentioned.