1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Tony Romo's new deal Jerry's worst move?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Floaty, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,921 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    My bad thanks for the correction...didn't really start following the Cowboys until Campo.

(Why oh why, right?:laugh2: )
  2. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I'm not a fans of committing that much money to a mistake-prone player like Romo but I have to agree with you. This contract is not even close to the worst move Jerry's made. It's not even top 10.
  3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

245 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    From what I've read, Jerry the Jones had no choice. He saved cap space, on a QB he was going to probably extend anyway. And why not, even though it's an absurd amount of money, look at Flacco.....there is NO way he deserves what he got, but then again Eli Manning got the same after his SB win in 07.

What I believe is bothering some folks is $100 mil for a ONE playoff win QB... one. However, he is a very good QB, but then again stats don't put a trophy in the case.

It seems all these owners are eccentric....They have more money than they'll ever spend, and this is a hobby for them.

And, I believe one comment above stated if Romo was gone, who would replace him....Alex Smith?...etc..
  4. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Which is why I lay the blame at the feet of Jerry "The Final Decision Maker" Jones. Years of bad trades, bad contracts, and poor drafts painted the franchise into a corner where we had no choice but to resign Romo. Otherwise we wouldn't have had enough cap room to sign a 7th round draft pick.

That may be true but this is the NFL not MLB. NFL teams have to work within the constraints of the salary cap. So even though Jerry is a billionaire he can't outspend the competition like they do in baseball.

I always cringe when I read comments like this. Shortsighted thinking like that is what's gotten the Cowboys into trouble. I know a lot of people don't want to acknowledge this but Romo can be replaced. He's not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

People will point to Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson to make their case as to why we should anchor ourselves to Romo for as long as possible. I understand that fear. With Jerry calling the shots you should be scared.

All I'm saying is that replacing Romo doesn't require us to go down that dark road again. Transitioning to a new QB simply requires that the GM and his cronies spend the adequate resources to address the position. That means buying in with a 1st or 2nd round draft pick instead of scouring Double-A baseball for QBs like we did 12 years ago after Aikman's retirement.

If you look around the league most the top echelon QBs went in rounds 1 or 2.
  5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

245 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you're saying.....and you're right....the NFL has constraints with the salary cap......

And, you've got a good point.....Romo can be replaced.....no one is indispensible.....he's a very good QB...but (and i've said it a million times - well maybe a couple thousand times).....he just doesn't gel in Dallas for some reason...be it Jerry, the OL.....whatever.....your window is rapidly closing for him to take it to the big game.

A lot of my Giants friends are actually happy you kept him there, take that for what it's worth.

I always liked the Cowboys, (Giants are 1st mind you), abhor the Skins...and absolutely HATE the Eagles....I respect the cowboys...but more so when Landry was around.
    Jones has made a mockery of that team by insisting he does what ever his illogical mind dictates.
  6. Way 'nuff

Way 'nuff New Member

322 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Semi curious as to how Cowboys fans would view this deal if, say, Romo were a Redskin and had the same playoff record for them as he does for the Cowboys.
  7. crashintonickdm

crashintonickdm Active Member

701 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    OP needs to learn how to type.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,055 Messages
    3,972 Likes Received
    Can't speak for everybody, but I'd say that QBs don't have playoff records, teams do. And then I'd say the Sk*ns paid market for resigning their franchise QB, just like they will when it's time to re-up RGIII if he can stay healthy long enough.
  9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,574 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    What cracks me up is that all the haters now have to deal with the fact that the player whom they consider to be overrated, mediocre, interception-prone, always-loses-the-big-games,...............now has a $108 million contract extension. :lmao2: :lmao2:

Keep complaining for years to come! :lmao: :lmao:
  10. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

245 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    LOL....you got that right...it seems as if Jerry did it to piss off the Romo haters.....

You know what....this could be the year Romo proves the haters wrong and goes all the way.....
  11. Death Star

Death Star Member

336 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Man just when I thought I couldn't be any happier about the extension, good point.
  12. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Were you :lmao: when Romo threw that interception to Rob Jackson?

If that's funny to you laff away, my friend.
  13. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Haven't we been waiting for that to happen for years?

I don't consider myself a Romo hater. I'm just to the point where I think it's time the Cowboys explore different options. We've had 7 years of pretty much the same results.

I always try to be fair to Romo and not just heap all of the on field failures on his shoulders. I agree with a point that you made in a previous post. Romo, for some reason or another, just isn't a good fit in Dallas.

Personally I think he and Garrett are a bad match. Garrett is too pass happy. Offensive balance is a foreign concept to him. You can't ask a guy who's prone to making bone-headed throws to sling it around 45-50 times a game. It's as if Garrett thinks Romo is in Tom Brady's class as a passer. That's the feeling I get.

Get Romo matched up with an OC/Head Coach that runs a balanced system and who doesn't ask him to throw over 40 times a game and I think you have a much better chance to win with him.
  14. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

361 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Your ridiculous, not the deal! What other alternative is there. I'm Tony's biggest critic but what is our alternative? We couldn't franchise him and then where are we? He won't see 108 million so its not a terrible deal its 4 for 55 basically which isn't a bad deal! For an undrafted rookie it think he deserves that!
  15. Idgit

28,055 Messages
    3,972 Likes Received
    BTW, if you guys haven't heard it yet, it's encouraging to hear Romo's take up on DC.com re: the direction of the team under Garrett. It sounds like they have some very specific offensive adjustments in the works. He's also very positive about the direction of the team, how it's coming together internally and even re: the direction we were headed last season before injuries piled up a bit.

Of course, you're also welcome to write that all off with 'what's he supposed to say, he just signed a huge contract.' Personally, I believe it's part of a healthy competitive mindset to have positive and productive feelings about what you're working passionately to accomplish, so I believe he's 100% sincere about what he's saying. And I do think the team as a whole is really positive.

At any rate, it's a good listen for any fan, and probably especially for the ones who are most disappointed with the extension of the franchise QB.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,911 Messages
    5,545 Likes Received
    It's the standard player speak this time of year. They are optimistic in 32 NFL cities. It really doesn't mean anything.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,434 Messages
    2,789 Likes Received
    He got the going rate for a franchise QB. I wish we could have saved a bit of money but that was just never going to happen. If you have something worth X amt on the market then that's what you expect. It's just too difficult for some to wrap their heads around the idea that those who matter think Romo is an elite QB.

It's very difficult to win in this league. Ask Elway, Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, Manning, Kelly and many others. And yes Elway won two but at the end of his career. He was labeled just like Manning was as unable to win a SB. As were the Cowboys at one time as well.
  18. Idgit

28,055 Messages
    3,972 Likes Received
    That much is true. But some of those 32 have reasons for optimism. Personally, I think it's informative to hear what those reasons are. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of offseason optimism. God knows there's enough to be depressed about while we're waiting to free up cap space and fill holes prior to the draft.

In Romo's case, at least, he thinks the team is headed in the right direction in terms of personnel, outlook, and coaching. He thinks we're going to be a surprisingly good team early. He was complimentary of the direction of last season's team, too. As I said, feel free to disregard it, but there are other ways he could answer those questions politely if he cared to. If nothing else, it's good to hear that his mindset is positive and to get some confirmation that posters who thought he was unhappy with our personnel or direction were completely off-base.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,911 Messages
    5,545 Likes Received
    Tony Romo would have told you every March since he's been here that the team is heading in the right direction. It's a throw away line all players use this time of year.
  20. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I listened yesterday. It was good. I get those who dismiss it as canned offseason rhetoric. I truly do. But for me there seemed to be a genuineness to his comments & delivery that made me think HE believes its more than that.

Nothing of course means nothing until you demonstrate it in a game. But I am getting excited again. Really hoping we get reinforcements for the trenches in the coming weeks.