1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Israel! Save Us!

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Vintage, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKL1219275220080212

So..... bad, bad Israel, how we loathe you....

Please save us from a nuclear Iran.

kthxbye.

Sincerely,
    Middle East.

I found this article amusing because of its predictability.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    If I was in Israel shoes so would I. When the leader of Iran continues to talk of the total destruction of Israel and now they are getting closer and closer to have the means to do so Israel would be foolish not to. Hopefully it will not come down to that
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,589 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I have stated many times (and my ex military brethren on this board agree)

That if Israel thinks that Iran has a nuclear missile ....... they will bomb them.

They will not ask the U.N.'s permission
    They will not ask the U.S.'s permission
    They will not ask anyones permission

They will bomb Iran

They know what its like for a country that hates them to gain power over them ...... they will never allow that to happen again .... under no circumstance.

They are the only country that does not "Rattle its Saber" ..... if they pull it out, they are gonna use it.
  4. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I agree 100%. Frankly I was amazed during the Gulf War how the US was able to convince Israel not to retaliate against Iraq for firing the scud missiles at them. Israel as you said will not rattle sabers they will take action because their survival is at stake
  5. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Guarantee you Israel gives the US a heads up first.

They'll probably ask.

US will probably give them the green light. And even if the US does say no (which I doubt), Israel would still probably take action.

But you can bet that the US and Israel will discuss it first.
  6. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    They may inform the US of what they are about to do but Israel is not going to ask for permission when it comes to their survival
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,791 Messages
    1,715 Likes Received
    Yep...and it is not like they don't have a history to back it up.:D
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I think part of Iran's quest for a nuclear weapon is for reasons other than Israel.

I think there is a legit concern to Iranians that the US is "closing" in around them. They feel the need for a nuclear programme to deter US military action. They see that NKorea has yet to be invaded and think they can adapt a similar strategy.

Additionally, I also think its Iran's want of being a major actor in the Middle East. Israel is probably the most dominant actor in the Middle East. And Saudia Arabia is probably the most dominant Muslim country in the Middle East. Iran used to be a dominant actor - but is no more. Israel has nukes. Pakistan has nukes. They see a nuclear programme as a way of lifting their status in the Middle East.

Ultimately, I am unsure of how much of a threat a nuclear Iran is. I think a case could be made that Iran would not be willing to nuke Israel for fear of getting themselves nuked several times over. Israel can respond much better and harsher than anything Iran could do. I would think (perhaps hope), that MAD principles would be applied and nothing would happen.

But given comments that have come from Iran for the last several years or so, it seems risky. And I don't think I'd want to 'wait and see' if I was Israel. So yeah, I'd expect Israel to take it out. And I think its probably legitimate for them to do so...
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,407 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    i agree. i think as a courtesy they tell us something like "hey - the jets are in the air and iran will be a glass parking lot in 30 minutes..." but under no circumstances could we stop them.
  10. iceberg

27,407 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    maybe it's because of all their "tough talk" the US has surrounded them. don't hold them blameless in this. they know by now if you talk, we listen.

may not be smart about it, but we listen and do *something*.
  11. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Don't get me wrong - I am not saying we could stop them.

I am saying that I would bet anything that there will be active dialogue between the two before anything happens.
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Where did I hold them blameless?

I just offered other possible examples and now suddenly I am absolving Iran of all blame?

Hell, that sums up my argument. I said I'd expect them to take action and that I thought it was probably legitimate....

But somehow, I am holding Iran blameless.
  13. iceberg

27,407 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    agree there. but given the leader of iran has threatened to nuke israel ASAP, they won't let it happen.
  14. iceberg

27,407 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    you're right - didn't say you did. i was just talking in return and that's why we keep talking - to define our positions based off counter questions/impressions. : )
  15. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    They did it once in Iraq and would clearly do it again

1981: Israel bombs Baghdad nuclear reactor
    The Israelis have bombed a French-built nuclear plant near Iraq's capital, Baghdad, saying they believed it was designed to make nuclear weapons to destroy Israel.
    It is the world's first air strike against a nuclear plant.

An undisclosed number of F-15 interceptors and F-16 fighter bombers destroyed the Osirak reactor 18 miles south of Baghdad, on the orders of Prime Minister Menachem Begin.

The army command said all the Israeli planes returned safely.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    OK. I thought you were saying I was absolving Iran of blame...

I was just bringing up the other points because I think all views need to be considered. And despite me not wanting to see a nuclear Iran, I can certainly understand why they would seek nuclear weapons as a deterrent against the US (because it works; that's just reality) and for want of being a dominant actor in [Middle East] politics because that is only natural.

Where Iran runs into trouble is with the comments they make and Hezbollah being Iran's proxy.
  17. iceberg

27,407 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    the trouble is you have a lot more radical muslems than you did radical russians. if you think they only want it as a deterrant, i'd disagree. they want to kill the infidel.

you and me in laymans terms.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,193 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    Rational countries talk. Crazy fundamentalists rant and rave. THAT is who rules Iran. And I am tired of people always trying to find excuses for crazies like that.
  19. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    No one is excusing them.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,589 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I would hope that eventually these terrorist countries will learn that extremist speak will only get you bombed when you are messing with the big boys.

But the part of me with years of experience dealing with them knows it will never happen in my lifetime.