1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It Was 9 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,555 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    Bill Parcells was coming to Dallas. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news? Or how excited you were?

Gosh I do. I boldly proclaimed that Parcells would coach here for 6 years and win 2 more Super Bowls. I had that much faith in the guy.

I wonder what he could have done with the triplets if he had been the coach who came after Jimmy? I certainly don't think we'd have headed down the road to hell. But that's just me.

I don't like the way he left, and I am less than pleased with the overall results. But 9 years ago today was when I learned to hope again as a Cowboys fan.
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,247 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    This was the beginning of when the game began to pass Parcells by. He gave us hope and made us legit contenders again but he was not flawless.
  3. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    949 Likes Received
    I still haven't forgiven him for Bobbi Carpenter.:mad:
  4. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    His first year he got us to 10-6 with one of the worst rosters in the league. Incredible coaching job.
  5. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Heck yeah, I so pumped and was so sure Cowboys would get to SB or would be a good contender. I pretty much a big worshipper of BP as coach. He just dissppointed the heck out of me. He was just a Sour P** with Dallas. He just didn't have it anymore.

But then it could be Dallas, that does to every coach.
  6. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    You realize carp cost us the playoffs this year? His pick six set up detroits run. We win that game, we are in the playoffs as the wildcard.
  7. Hostile

118,555 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    I remember thinking, "No way can Jerry Jones land the Big Tuna."

Then when he flew out there I was actually excited again.
  8. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    according to jerry it was a success b/c he got his stadium.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    I was definitely loving it when I heard the news. I don't even think his ultimate demise here had much to do with the game passing him by, I think the same thing that happened to Wade and now Garrett happened to him. The players just couldn't live up to the work the coaches felt they were putting in, and different people handle that differently.

For Parcells, he just became exceedingly stubborn and fell back on what had worked for him in the past.
  10. Hostile

118,555 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    I think his brother's death really affected his outlook. JMO.
  11. BoysFanInAustin

BoysFanInAustin Member

306 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I was thinking we'd be better in year 2, because he was very successful in his 2nd year at his other stops.
  12. Hostile

118,555 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    I remember thinking that too.

The only thing I liked about 2004, was the Church of Vinny Testaverde posters who joined the forum. The most delusional people I think I have ever met. I especially liked The Major. I think I had my best Internet sparring matches with that guy.
  13. Hostile

118,555 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    I know people get all weird when you share personal stuff on here, but oh well. Today is my wife's birthday, and 8 years ago I actually told her that I got the better present for her birthday. That is how excited I was.
  14. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,681 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I was in grad school at the time. I remember thinking he'd get us back to prominence, and get us out of the 5-11 gutter we'd fallen into. I was hopeful, but I wasn't predicting Super Bowls. I remember wondering how much he had left in the tank. Turned out he had about a year and a half.
    I just think he was too old and too long in the tooth to be able to deal with the negative aspects of the game (losing, travelling, endless days, high drama players, etc)
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,124 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    I would rather suck and have his pressers than suck and have Garrett's.
  16. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,455 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    As I said in another thread, I'm convinced that Spears mostly gets a pass from the fanbase because we also selected Ware that year.

Had he been the lone pick that year and had the exact same stats as now, he would be vilified (as he should be now) as much as Carpenter and also considered a bust.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    8 years ago I wasn't really into football or the Cowboys I mean was only 9. :laugh2:
  18. BoysFanInAustin

BoysFanInAustin Member

306 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Then I thought we were headed in the right direction in 2005, when they started out 7-3 and lost 4 of their last 6 to finish 9-7 and barely miss the playoffs. That season seemed eerily similar to 1986.
  19. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,072 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I remember it well, it filled me with hope and I was excited. I TIVO'd the ESPN News press conference and watched it later in disbelief because I never thought Jerry would hire an accomplished coach.

I like and respect Bill Parcells, but was happy to see him go. He built a team that had talent but played too close to the vest. Every game came down to the 4th quarter. That's fine for a bad football team quarterbacked by Quincy Carter, but in his final year we had a good football team that underachieved because the offense played conservative.

As a football man he'll get credit for picking Ware, which was somewhat of a bold move, but you can also lay blame for Julius Jones over Stephen Jackson, and the horrible Bobby Carpenter pick which all of us saw a mile away.

I'll stick with Garrett, thank you very much. :)
  20. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,109 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    Question sup with your sig?

Just curious is all..

about BP, i was excited