1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It Was 9 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,409 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    Lost a bet. Have this for 2 weeks.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    9 years ago today. No? The 2003 season was his first here.
  3. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    We win that game, or any other game we lost, and we win the East, because we'd be 10-6.
  4. lonestar6

lonestar6 Member

54 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually miss Parcells, warts and all, considering what has come since. I truly believe that with Romo for a full season, he would have done better than Wade's 13-3 and 1-and-done playoff the season after he left. Too bad he ran out of gas in the tank just as the team was on the cusp of putting it all together. I also liked that Parcells was a trenches type coach, because we are seeing right now what happens when you ignore the trenches and focus too much on skill positions.

I remember reading some anecdote, maybe on this board, that Giants players hated playing the Cowboys back then because Parcell's Cowboys were so physical. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? I doubt any of the Cowboys rivals are saying anything like that these days.
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With who?
  6. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    We definitely would have been better off with Big Bill. His core was maturing into their prime. The QB was finally ready. I wish he'd have had the energy to stick around for another contract.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,128 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I think he really burned out as a coach in 2004 with all the trouble with Jerruh wanting Henson to start and everything else. And by 2006 he just did not have the energy; and like Hos said he was very close to his brother and his death towards the end of the season pretty much finished him.

And we will not even get into the whole TO mess
  8. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,167 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Actually that's not true. We win one more game and we end up 9-7. Same as the giants but since they swept us, they win the division.

The lions were 10-6. If we beat the, we would both be 9-7 but we won the head to head, so we are the wildcats and not them. ****ing bobby carpenter.
  9. Hostile

118,409 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    You know what, it is 9 years. My bad. He was here 4 years, Wade 3.5 years and now Garrett 1.5 years.

I was never that good at Math.
  10. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,532 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    i wish i had been around during that time period. :)
  11. Hostile

118,409 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    Another poster here.
  12. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Parcells did help this club in lots of ways. However, his game management was turrible, turrible, I say!

His style was to play not to lose, unlike Jimmy whose style was to kick the **** out of you even if they were kicking the **** out of you.

;)
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,809 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    ooh ok, i was like "damn, hes turning on Garret?" lol...good to know
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,367 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Me too, it had gotten so bad watching them, I had to step away because I was angry all the time. Too bad it fizzled in 4 years and we seem to be flirting with the wilderness again, but hopefully Garrett can find success.

I think a lot of fans are really exhausted from all the disappointment, I know I am.
  15. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,497 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I'm in the minority here then. Even though Tuna did some good things in my opinion he did other things equally as bad. Outside of taking a horrible team to the playoffs what else did he do?
    Horrible draft picks, his fault ALONE they lost to Seattle in that playoff game, yes the defense blew it at the end but had he allowed ROMO to throw the ball to T.O. against cornerbacks that were literally sitting at home the week before that game would have been a blowout. You don't grind out a win against a team with the equivalant of TNew in the def. backfield, you throw bombs all day long.
    I didn't cheer his coming I knew we would do nothing and that is what they did.
  16. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    I attribute that to coaching to your personnel. When you take over an awful team devoid of talent, you coach conservatively. I believe he would have been more aggressive as the team matured and got better.
  17. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Touché, good sir.
  18. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Good point, but, we will never know.

;)
  19. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    The real question is Hos would you want him as the HC today? I know you love Garrett, but let's make believe. If he was 9 years younger today and had never coached here, would you take him today and replace Garrett?

I would in a heartbeat! He might have the ego the size of Cowboys stadium but he knows how to hold everybody around him accountable (including Jerry) and coach.
  20. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

To be totally honest, I was at work and I feared the move for weeks prior. I was probably one of a few who against the hire with every grain of my being. I knew is history of leaving when the going got tough. I knew every roster he had his hands on got older and slower quickly. I knew his coaching style was fading and no longer worked. I hated the hire then and I hate it now.

While it gave you hope it was a very dark time for me as a fan. I have never been a fan of Parcells and never will be.