1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It Was 9 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,744 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I sure don't remember where I was or what I was doing when I heard that Parcells was coming to Dallas. I do remember where I was and what I was doing when Kennedy was shot, when we landed on the moon, and 9-11.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

hardly considering it takes 22 guys to start and 56 to form a roster and you named 5, 1 of which is on his way out but if it makes you feel better......:cool:

I guess the rest just fell from the sky.

Guys like Lee, Jenkins, Smith, Murray, Jones, Dez...........

Oh, I named 6.........easy game to play
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,564 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    and since the playmakers are those same players....

and the others

you mean our great starters
    spencer
    costa
    dockery
    scandrick
    Brookings

yeah much better ....
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Oh you mean like Vinny Testaverde, Rob Pittiti, Ryan Smith, Corey Proctor, Jason Ferguson, Jason Fabini, Akin Ayodele, Aaron Glenn and Richie Anderson........

Yeah those starters........so much better

Again, easy game to play.
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells just never seemed to "fit" here. He always appeared somewhat out of his element and uncomfortable. I always got the impression he was seriously pressured by Jones every step of the way and he didnt like it.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,710 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    Warner was a Free Agent in 2004 and wanted to come here. He even hinted at it on a Christian radio show. Parcells opted for Vinny. Instead Warner signed with the Giants. Then moved on the Cardinals and revamped his career.
  7. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was so excited that I bought one of those "The Big Tuna in Big D" t-shirts.

:lmao2:

Loved him while he was here. The best press conferences ever. Dude was hilarious.

He didn't lead us all the way, but he sure rescued us from the Campo years. Somewhere between there and here, we lost our way again.

:star:
  8. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

856 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    How can you lose your way "again" if you never found it in the first place?
  9. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,339 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    I personally got a little sick to my stomach when I heard the news we hired BP. I did not like him before we hired him and still do not care for him.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,564 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    another one happy with campo
  11. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    There's always going to be one rotten apple but thanks to Parcells the Cowboys found a QB in Romo and he stuck with him when some fans wanted Romo cut after a rough preseason during his second year. Parcells helped the Cowboys find a great pass rusher in Ware which was a position the team kept failing to fill with 3 previous #1's and Parcells helped the team find a great TE in Jason Witten. Those are 3 of the best players this current team has so Parcells deserves credit. He had a lot of influence on the Cowboys drafts during his tenure. He brought in a lot of talent and some of that talent is still helping the team today.
  12. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,857 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    I was ecstatic.

Parcells came here and we had the 5th overall pick.

He drafted Terence Newman with our first pick. Regardless of this season, that was a good pick.

2nd pick was Al Johnson. Dud.

3rd and maybe his best of all draft picks, Jason Witten. Pure winner.

Romo (undrafted), Austin (undrafted) and Ratliff (7th round) and Jerry getting credit for drafting Ware. Newman and Witten were definitely Parcells best draft picks.

10-6 that first year with the clowns we showcased was a miracle.

That last year he was here, that playoff run could have went deep but we all know how it ended. All the magic went to dust on one snap and bobble.

It's a funny league and you almost have to pull the wool over the rest of the leagues eyes just at the right time to win it all that given year.

The old man new it as he did it twice before.
  13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,906 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I believe there's a good chance we would have been playing for the Super Bowl in 2007 if he had still been here.
  14. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,586 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i think so too.
  15. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,627 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    :bang2:It amazes how many people overrate Parcells when he was here. He was brought in here to fix this franchise and get it back to where it once was. He failed to do that. He didn't win a playoff game, didn't even win a division title. He failed miserably in December, failed on many draft picks, almost failed to realize that Romo needed to be starting over the human statue known as Drew Bledsoe, brought in a bunch of old over the hill 'Parcells guy' players to this team that really didn't help at all. I'm so sick of people on here worshipping Parcells. He wasn't that good when he was here.
  16. NumOneQB

NumOneQB Active Member

279 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Parcells was an exceptional gameday coach, getting a team with below average talent into the playoffs. His spotty drafting and need for a safety blanket by bringing in his old players never elevated this franchise beyond a wild card team.

I remember hearing on the radio some "insiders" stated Jerruh proclaimed it's time to have fun again now that Parcells was gone. I guess the Big Tuna was able to "shield" that hillbilly away from the team during his coaching tenure...
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,382 Messages
    6,082 Likes Received
    I didn't like the hire, either. I was a big fan of Parcels, but I hated that we put a Giant on our sidelines. And I hated that the former Giants would show up during our training camps. Blech.

I think it's more likely we would have backslid. I just wish there were better coaching options available that offseason. When Norv Turner and Wade Phillips are your 1A and 1B, yuck.
  18. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,098 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I still remember the press conference he gave that first year when we got our 8th win, he literally was choking up, watery eyes the whole thing, when he announced that 'you can't call these guys losers anymore'.

Say what you want but the guy cared.
  19. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was pleased when Parcells was hired (although it was handled awkwardly).

Yes, it was strange to have a Giant as head coach, but I was willing to forgive it ... given how hopeless things were under Campo. I also believed that the Parcells hire meant that Jerry the GM's reign of error was ending.

Truly, the best part of the hire for me was that it indicated that Jerry was willing to hand over a lot of power to someone more knowledgeable. This, I though, meant the Cowboys finally had the chance to become serious contenders again.
  20. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,697 Messages
    334 Likes Received

LMAO at your sig.:lmao: