1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It Wasn't So Long Ago...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by followthestar, Nov 18, 2012.

1. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    This is my chance to remind some of you that the Cowboys, barring a meltdown that SHOULD lead to Garret's departure, are still in excellent shape to win the division and make the playoffs. Hard to imagine some were ready to give up on the season. Let's enjoy the ride. It ain't over till its over, and it ain't over yet...

On the other hand, now its fashionable to say the Boys could run the table and win out. Let's be real... I'll be happy if we sneak in by beating the Skins in the final game.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    I sure have been. I love what I am seeing.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....I said 7-9 before the season: Berman and co. just said 8-8 on espn and MAYBE the playoffs....I'd say that's about right. We all know the flaws...been over them numerous times. This game will be close today like most NFL games are close: we won't blow out Cleveland: if we were healthy maybe, but I don't see it.
  4. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,356 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Followthestar, you're right about enjoying the ride . . . it's not really ALL about reaching the playoffs, although it'd definitely be great to see that occur. It was obvious before the season ever started that our chances for postseason glory were not likely to be realized once the regular season began.

The OL was and still is a liability in terms of any realistic notion of a return to the good old days. My enjoyment of the games is still fully intact as long as we're reasonably competitive, which we still are. With a plentiful helping of good fortune along the way, perhaps we'll even be blessed with a postseason experience.

In the meantime, let's just enjoy the games for the excitement and the fun ride they're sure to provide. If the future somehow holds postseason games in store for us as Cowboys fans, so much the better. In the meantime, there's still a rush to be had watching our favorite team.
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Really? I understand that we aren't going to perfect on every snap, but I have seen some major coaching issues and major issues with the product on the field. They seem to be improving, but let's get real. We haven't won against legit competition since week 1.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    Yes sir.
  7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,570 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    What constitutes a meltdown in your opinion - not making the playoffs? Something worse than that?
  8. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,203 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Theres at least 3 losses waiting in the next 7 games but im trying to enjoy it. Lol
  9. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

823 Messages
    94 Likes Received

that's what Jerry LOVES to hear....no pressure there.
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,273 Messages
    2,101 Likes Received
    Forget it, Bob. Some people become so entrenched around here about their predictions they cannot let them go for fear they will have to admit they were wrong.

There is a potential because of schedule this team rises from the ashes this season. Only because they have the Browns and Eagles and Redskins twice.

But let's be clear. About all that rise will do is get this team a lower draft slot. It will not be in the tourney, nor will it make them contenders.

This team will still be out of the hunt by mid December.

As a side note, around here, being a contender means suiting up at least nine players that have a pulse and take at least one breath a day.

But for some of us old hands who have been here since game one against Pittsburgh back in the day, that isn't enough. Not nearly enough.

Jerry will ride this horse until it is Campo-esque and we've had a hand full of seasons of disappointment and failure.

Then after waiting too long, Jerry will find the perfect puppet to replace Opie with. A guy that will be just gosh darn happy to be a head coach anywhere he will fall in line with the structure of this organization.

And that is Jerry gets all the credit, allows players to sidestep the head coach, and directs all decisions to what he believes to be the need.

But rejoice, Bob. The Mayans say our suffering only lasts less than another month.
  11. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    In for the win and the unlikely playoff run!!!
  12. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,210 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have a chance to be 6-5 after Thanksgiving but anyone who follows the team knows the Cowboy team we see building momentum heading into Thanksgiving isn't the same team that returns after Thanksgiving. The team always seems to return from the long week looking unprepared and it leads to a Dec meltdown. Long weeks never do the Cowboys any good especially when they come after a win. It gives the team time to lose its focus and become complacent.

The first game up after Thanksgiving is against Philly on a Sunday night and we all know the issues the Cowboys have had winning on NBC on Sunday night. Regardless if the Cowboys win their next 2 games the Philly game will be a must win because the Cowboys have a tough 3 game stretch vs Cinn, Pitts, and NO then finish up the season on the road in Wash. Once again the Cowboys season will come down to how they play in Dec.

My advice is not to get overly exited if the Cowboys beat Cleveland today and Washington on Thanksgiving because we see a run like this almost every Nov against teams that are going nowhere before the crash and burn comes in Dec against playoff contenders. I'm not saying it's going to play out the same way but the schedule sure has it shaping up that way unless the Cowboys come back PREPARED AND FOCUSED after Thanksgiving.
  13. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,382 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    It's really hard to "enjoy the ride" when I keep watching a team that is unprepared every week. When a team is not properly motivated and makes tons of stupid mistakes, you know deep down that you will not be able to "enjoy the ride" until a coaching change is made. I have come to expect losses while being surprised by wins. I will not make the mistake of getting too high on this team when they beat pitiful teams like the Eagles. It hurts way too much when they make their annual plunge.
  14. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Such as what? this team has clearly regressed since 7-4 last season. Every game since last year in Arizona they have stunk. (Except for some reason this year's opener) There's no way to argue that. Too many penalties and no discipline. What team are you watching? You find this play acceptable?
  15. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I think its comical that anyone can equate this team as playoff bound.

I wasnt fooled after the Eagles game.
  16. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Hey Rkg Keep On Dreaming
  17. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    skins will beat us easily on turkey day I believe....win or lose to browns...god what a clown show the cowboys are right now
  18. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,686 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    you love what you're seeing?

this sorry product on the field? really?
  19. Turf Toe

Turf Toe Active Member

164 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    What exactly have you loved Hoss? I've seen horrible o-Line play. Bad running game. Receivers not in the same page as the QB. Penalties. Questionable play calling by the offensive coordinator. I know a win is a win, but this could of easily gone Cleveland's way. I certainly don't love seeing that.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Yeah love seeing Romo get worked; love seeing us unable to stop a lowly rookie QB from getting it done several times when it mattered.

Yeah Hos somehow you saying that is no surprise at all