1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It Wasn't So Long Ago...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by followthestar, Nov 18, 2012.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,370 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    A dogfight like today where the Cowboys looked dreadful at times having to battle back from a 13 point deficit probably does the team more good than had they won in a blowout. It's wins like this where you have to scratch and claw your way to victory that can help build character and mental toughness down the stretch. Granted it was an UGLY win but it will definitely keep the team from becoming complacent knowing they're going to have to be focused and ready to play the last 6 games of the season if they want to make the playoffs.
  2. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really, you like poorly coached, poorly executed football?
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    Maybe he's seeing something differently than you do.
  4. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    If it takes this much effort to outlast CLE then maybe the talent on this team isn't as good as it is promoted. part of talent is smarts, which this team severely lacks.
  5. Novacek84

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Any theories on what that might be? Because I see a bad football team.
  6. Idgit

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    Bad? You wanted today's win to be more satisfying?

We're a mediocre team that beats bad teams and loses to good ones. We make plays on both sides of the ball, but aren't consistent enough right now because of a couple of holes on the roster to put up enough points to actually beat good teams. We've got a team that's added talent each of the last three seasons, and a group of entitled fans that don't understand how play calling works and who think the team is better than it actually is, and, by some inexplicable contortion, consider themselves 'realists' for being consistently frustrated by a mediocre team playing mediocre football.

But we've got a HC who's respected in the locker room and by the organization. We've got a roster that's trending upward, and we've got a legit shot at being in the drivers seat for the NFCE title by this time next week despite all the obvious issues we've got right now.

There are babies, and there is bathwater. It's not pumping sunshine to make at least a passing effort to determine which is which.
  7. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Them he doesn't know what he is watching.
  8. Idgit

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    I'm just happy you're enjoying today's victory.
  9. Novacek84

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    You're out of your mind. The head coach is respected? he's the laughingstock of the NFL and so is Jerry's team. He has no feel for running a game. The roster has a FEW holes? This roster is FULL of CRATERS. I have been a 35 year fan and I've seen it all. There is no excuse for the performance this team offers up each week. I'm not asking for perfection. I am asking for a team that has a legit chance each week. The Browns gave us this game. Once again the Cowboys were not ready to play. Again, there is no excuse for that. I make these comments as a person who was ecstatic when Garrett was hired. But I know what I see and Garrett is not the answer here. So you keep on telling yourself this team is getting better and you and Jerry will be the only ones left to pump that sunshine. So yes, throw this whole team out. they are the dumbest most uninspiring bunch ( with a few player exceptions) that I've seen. NYG are a tough team. They won't crumble n December. DAL always can be counted on to collapse until proven otherwise. For Garrett to say he is proud of his teams effort after that game? We are in a lot of trouble if this guy is back next year.
    You call me entitled? No. I'm far from that and offended by that accusation. read my previous posts. I just expect this team to improve each week and I and many others ain't seeing it.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    He's already said to much to say otherwise. This, even when we were a sub .500 team.

:laugh2:

It'd be surprising if I hadn't seen it before. Predictions do strange things to the ego.
  11. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,579 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    How, your Optimism really amazes me, but that's you.

With this scrubby OL I don't think Romo will hold up for the rest of season.

I've been always critical of JGs play calling and unless, he adjusts that in a hurry , we would lose Romo and with him any chances for winning season .
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,037 Likes Received
    And yet we are a .500 team right now. There are a lot of teams that would love to trade spots with us.
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,370 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    The talent is good the coaching isn't. Cleveland has been completive in just about every game they've played this season and I expected a dogfight. The Cowboys aren't near good enough to walk over anyone they're going to be in a battle every week. It's clear they're going to have to play a lot better than we saw today if they're going to stay in the playoff hunt. The positives that came out of this game are naturally the win and that Dez appears to be turning the corner.

The wins haven't been pretty the last 2 weeks but unlike last season the Cowboys are starting to show some fight and come from behind to win instead of folding in the 4th quarter. They almost blew it today after gaining the lead late in the game only to lose it again but they hung in. The important thing for the Cowboys right now is to win games no matter how they look and hope by Dec these dogfights will build enough character and mental toughness that the team will start playing their best football by Dec.

I'm not happy with the way the team played today they looked awful at times but it was good enough to eek out a win and it will certainly keep the team from becoming complacent. Having to fight it out every week may end up doing this team a lot of good when it matters most later in the season.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    I love how pissed off my opinions make some people. I didn't stutter. Appreciate the assist. No need for me to comment more.
  15. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can the boys turn the table? Not if they play like they played today

truth be told we've been bailed out the last two games because the other team self imploded when it mattered

the eagles crapped themselves in the 4th quarter
    and cleveland is young they'll make mistakes

if we go down 14-0 against teams like the steelers, and saints its lights out
  16. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,993 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received
    There are hopeful signs the Cowboys can make the playoffs.

Having said that, the Cowboys exhibit none of the qualities of a team with the strength in the trenches needed to make any sort of serious push once they get there. Evidence:
    • The offensive line has been subpar all season in run blocking as well as pass blocking. Even with Smith they are one of the worst OLs in the NFL -- without him starting Parnell, Livings, Bernadeau, Dockery, and Doug Free I think you'd be hard pressed to find a worst OL
    • The DL has a grand total of 3.5 sacks for the entire season and is allowed over 100 yards per game and 4.0 ypc on the ground. In otherwords, they generate no rush and and are mediocre against the run
    In otherwords, the OL and DL are among the worst in the entire NFL and probably would be the worst of any playoff team if they make it in.

In summary this is a decent chance this team will squeak into the playoffs... sorry that isn't good enough for me. I want a contender and the pathetic state of the OL and DL will doom this team from making a run.
  17. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not mad at all I don't take the Internet that seriously. That may have also been the first time I ever responded to one of your posts too. I just think it is unbelievable for a fan to say the love what they have been seeing with this team. It is embarrassing. Mr. Jones said after the game that the oline played well. In what world did that happen. That is the crux of the problem with this team. We have an owner playing the part of GM poorly. A coach who doesn't seem to be able to get his team ready to play. I'm still waiting for the accountability. We have the second most penalties in the league. We are penalized on multiple pre-snap penalties every week. Where is the discipline we were promised. Our coaches cannot even make adjustments during the game. If I see another three man rush from our defensive line I am going to blow a gasket.
  18. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,411 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    But the problem isn't that we're a mediocre team. The problem is the way this team is coached, or at least the way the team plays in certain situations.

For example, there's really no excuse for clock management issues that have happened these past two years (Arizona '11, Baltimore '12). That has NOTHING to do with the talent and EVERYTHING to do with the coaching.

You can't point to that and say that it's due to us being a mediocre team that beats bad teams and loses to good team. We're constantly playing down to our opposition.

Also, how does it make any sense to say that we've been getting better in talent these past couple years and are still mediocre talent wise when we went to the playoffs and won in the first round in '09? Either the talent has gotten worse since then and the coaching is still OK or the talent has gotten better (as you said) and the coaching is worse.

There's really no excuse for what's going on, and it stinks down from Jerry to Jason.
  19. Idgit

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    I didn't call you entitled. I don't even know who you are. I do know our fan base in general is entitled. Feel free to disagree. I'm just enjoying the victory tonight and looking forward to the next game on Thursday.
  20. Idgit

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    The clock management is definitely a problem. I've agreed with that on several occasions, and it's a chief area where JG can get better on game day.

But if you're honestly asking yourself what's gotten us beat this season against good teams and coming away with 'clock management' instead of 'turnover differential', then you haven't been watching closely enough.

There are problems, and then there are problems that get you beat. Clock management issues aren't great, but they're not high order problems. I prioritize them lower than I prioritize not making mental errors that get you beat, not giving up scores in the return game, and building a roster with sufficient depth and focus to withstand in-season injuries.