1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It will be one of these picks...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 5, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I think that's a fair point, I'm just injecting my two sense. I'm of the "quality over quantity" camp. At the end of the day I think we all know we have no clue what will happen during the draft.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    My opinion changes just about every day now. However, I feel like I have settled on THE guy..

The guy that I THINK we are targeting the most is Fletcher Cox

The only problem is, I am not sure how likely it is that he will be available
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'd agree with the quality over quantity thing but I'd mainly be referring to stacking up picks in the first 3 rounds.

Ideally, I'd like to get 5 picks in this draft through a combination of trade down and trade up.

What I would like in the end with those 5 picks are:

1 CB
    1 OLB
    1 interior OL
    2 BPAs at secondary/DE/OL/TE

I really think our best strategy is to try and trade down into the early to mid 20s where one of several players who we like will still be on the board and may have nearly the same draft grade as the person we are targeting at 14. The players I might try to nab here are:

Mercilus
    Gilmore
    Barron

The one exception I'd make is Coples - if he has fallen we shouldn't hesitate to draft him.
  4. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    So you think those three will be around in the early to mid 20's? Or those are who you'd take at 14? I ask for clarity because recently from what I've been reading and hearing is that those players will all be gone by the 20th pick. That's where my concern about getting fancy with trading down comes in.
  5. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I could see us trading down and everyone we thought would be there is gone. That would not be cool, at all.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,689 Messages
    1,901 Likes Received
    Broadus compared him to a bigger Greg Ellis.

I'd take that for a 3-4 DE.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,931 Messages
    992 Likes Received
    ****. He's a basket case.
  8. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,717 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    My top 3 as of right now...

DeCastro
    Cox
    Barron.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,632 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    That is a pretty good list.

Only thing I would add to it is the fact that the safety class is so shallow that we probably can't get another safety later in the draft that can play almost right away, whereas thats just not true at DE or G cause their draft classes are much deeper.
  10. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am only happy at 14 with DeCastro

I have seen mocks to where we pass on him

you don't think Philly would be running to the poduim
  11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Sorry, I was hoping they might be there in the early 20s. I was just going by what I had read awhile ago so things have probably changed. I actually don't want Barron - I just have heard our name tacked to him. I'd prefer someone else.

Looking at some of the mocks I'd take my chances there with one of:

Gilmore
    McClellin
    Reyes

Although my preference would actually be a trade down and pick up next year's first in the process. I actually like the second round as much as I like the bottom of the first for us. This is a very deep draft and I like players like Brooks and Silatolu over Glenn. I like some of the 2nd round CBs over Kirkpatrick (but not over Gilmore). I like some of the later OLBs like Curry and Irvin over Upshaw and Hightower.

So given the available choice I'd actually prefer to defer our 1st until next year and hopefully pick up a second and third rounder in the process of dropping down. Now we have 2 seconds, 2 thirds and 2 fourths and 2 firsts next year.

My real hope in this process is to end up with a top 10 next year to get one of the QBs as the heir apparent to Romo. I think we'll end up outside the top 10 and next year is a good QB draft. We'd still be able to draft a player with our first next year in this scenario. If we don't get the QB or like the players we can defer our first again. Alternatively we could use the two first rounders to trade up for an impact player if necessary.

I just see this as a superior strategy to drafting non-impact players in the first.
  12. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense.