1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Its Absolutely Perfect That Trout Did Not Win the AL MVP!

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

596 Messages
    43 Likes Received

So you're ok with "luck of the draw" being a major deciding factor in an MVP race?

Because that was the difference in the Angels and the Tigers making the playoffs. The Angels had more wins!
  2. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

You're right. Robbie Cano should have won the MVP. :)
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,185 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    If that guy on the last place team got the triple crown, he should win MVP 10 out of 10 times. That is a feat that is extremely rare.

Trout got what he deserved, rookie of the year, nothing more and nothing less.
  4. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

The right guy won it this year to be sure. But 10/10 on a last place team? I don't know if I'd take it those extremes. Every year presents different situations. There has to be some value in deserving the Most Valuable Player award.
  5. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I side with Trout on this one, he's the most dominant 5 tool player in the game right now,resurrected the Angels once he was brought up and dominated the game at every phase. Also, not to undermine a triple crown, but you have to believe with a lineup like Cabrera had around him, Trout could put up those numbers.
  6. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

596 Messages
    43 Likes Received

Well, the lineup Trout hit in wasn't significantly worse than the lineup Cabrera hit in. The biggest difference was where they hit in the lineup.

Cabrera's biggest "advantage", other than the Triple Crown, was he had a lot more RBI even though his SLG% wasn't a great deal higher. That's because he hit 3rd or 4th everyday in his lineup and Trout hit 1st.

But seeing as how RBI are a stat of opportunity, not skill, its disheartening to see it still play such a big role in award voting and contract negotiation.