1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's cliche to say QBs prospects in the draft are subpar; consider these

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I look at the QB situation in much the same way as I do timing belts for your automobile. A timing belt doesn't really get looked at much until it's too late. However, you really should pay close attention to it. When the belt goes, you are literally screwed and it's expensive and inconvenient to deal with and fix it many times. If you just plan for it, it's a whole lot easier to deal with.
  2. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    QB possibility. Dominic Davis with Atlanta will be a RFA this year. Moved from 4th string to 2nd in 2012 training camp and pre season games. I saw him a couple of games and he really looked good.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Well, I do understand what you are saying but I think the problem with this criteria is that the NFL doesn't base championships on regular season QB ratings.

The measuring stick is playoffs and ultimately championships. That's the real problem.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    That means he's probably the top QB on their board. I saw just a few of his games & he was inconsistent. But I didn't watch enough of them to know if he was a problem.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. However right now the car has other repiars that need to be taken care of. While I would not mind seeing the Cowboys getting a QB in the draft but there are areas that are a bit more critical at this stage.
  6. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    granted hitting on a qb in the draft is hard but we cant just stick our heads in the sand and expect Tony to be here forever either, I'm not saying use a high draft pick on a qb but theres no reason not to take a chance on one in the 4th or 5th. We can't just stand pat we have to think about the future
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,295 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    You are right, we shouldn't go for a QB in this draft. We shouldn't extend Romo either.. we should trade him while he still has value. We could get a #1 for him and use that to really help our lines. Then we could go for a QB next year early in the draft.
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Active QBs with a career passer rating above 80 (i don't believe rookies are counted) who were drafted later than the 1st round

#1 Tony Romo - 95.6, undrafted
    #2 Matt Schaub - 91.9, third round
    #3 Shaun Hill - 85.9, undrafted (started 26 games)
    #4 Andy Dalton - 83.9, 2nd round
    #5 Matt Hasselbeck - 82.2, 6th round
    #6 Matt Cassel - 80.4, 7th round

So to get a franchise quality quarterback, your only real choice is basically drafting one in the first round, and as I showed you the odds of getting a qb BETTER than Romo is 5 percent so far.
  9. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Teams win playoff games and championships... the fact that people fail to recognize that is the real problem. Any one with a lick of sense understands that Romo is not at all the problem here.

It's our lack of an offensive line, lack of a running game, and lack of a defense. Not to mention getting out coached.

Wasting precious draft resources on a QB at this juncture is folly, because he won't be as good as Romo, and will have just as much failure as Romo, because the team will continue to suck.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    True but these picks are pretty iffy but who know maybe a guys like an Brad Sorensen could develop into a very good QB.

Brad Sorensen may be the most underrated quarterback in college football.
    Dane Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com rates Sorensen as the second-best small-school prospect; only outstanding Elon receiver Aaron Mellette is ranked above him.

Sorensen has a very interesting background story. He played one season at San Bernardino Valley College and also had a redshirt season at BYU before settling with Southern Utah in 2010.
    "Settling" may be a massive understatement. "Excelling" may be more appropriate because he has thrown for over 6,300 yards and 38 touchdowns in only two years as a starter.

At 6'5" and 235 lbs, Sorensen has great NFL size and could the next non-Division I quarterback to make an impact at the next level.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ew-with-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-brad-sorensen
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Timing Belt goes and it doesn't matter how many new parts you have fixed or replaced, they will all be new in a vehicle that doesn't run. It's a pay me now, pay me more later kind of thing.
  12. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,910 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Quick question... who thinks this team actually has a legitimate shot in the post season with Romo? I would hope that we would, but I certainly don't think we do.
  13. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

579 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I don't want to draft a QB until we have a coaching staff I am comfortable can bring him along. I don't trust Garrett or Wilson with a newbie. I would rather let the org. try to build the foundations of the offensive and defensive lines. We can get a QB in the draft when we have a coach that can handle one.
  14. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    I half never disputed Tony's sterling QB ratings.
    While I don't think we'd burn a 1st-round pick on a QB, I contend we need to, at one point, take a chance on QBs like Barkley or Nahhib.

If you think that I think drafting QB is a sure thing, you are mistaken. It's a gamble on QBs. It's also a gamble on other positions unless it is Tyron Smith.

Still, at some point, we need to gamble on a QB. Not to replace Tony next year, but to groom. How much cleerer can I make that?
    High QB ratings do not necessarily translate into postseason success.

Just ask Tony.

Just ask any Cowboys fan after that off-balance hail marry thow me made to a Redskins defender in the last game.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

But QBs can lose them. We may all be senseless but that doesn't mean that your QB rating argument is anymore fruitful. It doesn't matter what your QB rating is during the season. It's about what you do in the Playoffs and in Championships that set the mark.

As for precious draft choices, well, I would not call a draft choice spent on a QB prospect folly, anymore then I would spending a draft choice on any other position. You draft to your board and if that player is a QB, so be it.
  16. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm not saying that but if you don't have an engine the timing belt is useless. :D

I'm all for getting a QB but right now would like to get players to protect the timing belt. Getting a timing belt and watching him getting his ares kicked all over the field is not going to help :laugh2:
  17. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Career QB ratings of QBs drafted in the first round since 2006

Robert Griffin III 102.4
    Matt Ryan 90.9
    Joe Flacco 86.3
    Cam Newton 85.3
    Jay Cutler 84
    Matthew Stafford 82.8
    Josh Freeman 79.8
    Jack Locker 78.4
    Sam Bradford 77.3
    Christian Ponder 77.1
    Andrew Luck 76.5
    Ryan Tannehill 76.1
    Tim Tebow 75.3
    Vince Young 74.4
    Brandon Weeden 72.6
    Mark Sanchez 71.7
    Matt Leinart 70.2
    Blaine Gabbert 70.2
    JaMarcus Russell 65.2
    Brady Quinn 64.4
  18. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    I think we half a chance with Romo. Year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year Year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year . . .
  19. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received

Again, it's a team sport. The idea of grooming a quarterback, rather than building a foundation around an elite quarterback that you already have is ridiculous. Any help not going towards helping Romo, is simply wasting the rare opportunity that we have.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I understand that. I don't really have a problem with that but I still believe Dooms, that it's something you have to work in conjunction. If you have a QB on your board and he's there, you should not be afraid to pull the trigger on him. I have always felt like the Cowboys should be in the business of developing QBs. The returns on it, even if they don't play for you, have much more upside. I don't necessarily think we need to draft a QB in the 1st but if there is one there, we should not look away from it simply because we have other needs. The time is coming where we are going to need another QB.