1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's cliche to say QBs prospects in the draft are subpar; consider these

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Right.

I'd rather take a chance and look for a new QB.

While Romo gives us a chance at the playoffs, I don't think he gives us a chance at a Championship.

What's the use of hovering around 8-8? Higher draft picks are more valuable.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I agree. I would not be upset with a QB taken in the middle of the draft or higher should one of the top prospect drops.

I just think it is highly unlikely Cowboys will be looking at QB in the 1st 3 rds of this draft especially if they extend Romo contract which most seem to think will happen.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    This is the factor that we have no control over. I am still trying to get my head around what the driving force might be that makes Tony extend. I mean, I completely understand why the team would want him to do that but I don't see the benefit of Tony actually doing this. He can probably make more money by playing out his contract and hitting FA. JMO.
  4. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    this team should draft BPA, even if that means taking a QB in round 1. also i might add that im not a big Romo supporter, so i look forward to our next great QB, it cant come soon enough.
  5. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,401 Messages
    515 Likes Received

If taking a QB in the 1st round is a crap shoot, then taking a QB in the middle rounds is a sure recipe for mediocrity. If it comes to taking a chance in the middle rounds, then Romo/Orton start looking like better options.
    and 8-8 seasons become our destiny until we wise up and at least try to land a franchise QB.
  6. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Oh we definitely should draft a QB in laters rounds. I still wish we could get Geno but I know Eagles gonna snag him.
  7. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,145 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    We already have a franchise QB, we simply don't have a team around it.

We have no running game, and we have no defense... yeah I'm sure the average qb drafted in the 1st round a couple years in a row will fix things.

Works wonders for the lions and browns...
  8. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    If your view is that the problem is the QB. I don't think Romo is what is wrong the Cowboys.

I see an OL that struggles and a defense who could not hold a lead to save their life. There are a lot of teams who when they take the lead their defense actually closes the door ours leaves it wide open.

This is not to say Romo has been perfect he hasn't but I don't see many times where his defense bails him out after a mistake and yet see that from a lot of the top teams in the league
  9. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,923 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    The Cowboys already have a franchise quarterback.
  10. GimmeTheBall!

12,401 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    Here are the realities:

#Romo has proven time again that he will choke. That is not a personal failing. He be a good man and has great individual stats.
    #Let's not deludinate ourselves and think a draftee QB can or will replace Romo next year.
    #We can't hope to find a QB in FA. NFL teams pretty well know who to toss and who to keep.
    #At some point we half to say Enough is Enough and go to the draft for a QB. Not the middle or late rounds.
    #It is easier to find O line and D line hep in FA than it is to find a QB in FA, belief me.
    #There is no shame in going for the best player available. If Barkley or Nahibb are there, strike while the onion is hot!
    #I am so tired of dreading "must" games with Romo at the helm. Romo has had chance after chance after chance. He cant tackle or run routes but while he has lit up the scoreboard, he's also failed to lead when it counts. And the 4th quarter of the Redskins game was when it counted.
  11. Ntegrase96

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Harris returns the ball to Steelers territory. Romo does nothing with it. Game goes into overtime, Brandon Carr puts the ball inside the 1 on a great play... I think it may happen more times than we realize.

But how many times have you seen Romo squander what the defense gives him? Ware turned the tide of the Bears game with a strip sack and then Romo coughs the ball up for a pick six/fumble six hybrid.
  12. GimmeTheBall!

12,401 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    So true.
    And if he wants, "Franchise" Tony is welcomed to share the couch in my abode to watch the playoffs with me and Ms. Busty. The beer and food will flow and tony and I could catch up on things and marvel at the QBs leading their playoff teams.
  13. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    As I said Romo is not without faults however over the last 8 games of the season Dallas avg 28 points a game and even despite putting up a lot of points where barely able to win because the defense was not doing the job.

They don't get turnovers, we ranked at the bottom, we are not getting sacks. Defense has not been a big help you can take a single game but by and large the defense is not getting it done.

As for your own feeling of Romo I'm not looking to change it there are those who feel Romo is very capable and some who don't
  14. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

896 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    When we desperately need help on the o-line and on the d-line, you don't draft a QB high. Maybe you draft one in the 6th round as an eventual Orton replacement or a pot shot that you land a Tom Brady. But you don't win in this league with crappy lines. You just don't. Take care of our most immediate needs and address QB next year.
  15. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,253 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    How many are in a system that builds stats? How many have a better play-off record? How many are better in go, or go home games? Hint: likely all of them.
  16. Ntegrase96

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received

I don't disagree that the team could be better, I just don't believe it will do Romo much good when it comes to high pressure games/situations.

I'm probably more jaded than you are, but in your opinion, what area do you think Romo needs more help in?
  17. Doomsday101

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Team wise we clearly have to do better along the OL. There are just way too many times Romo is having to move and dodge defender to make a play. We don't get enough production out of the run game to get defense to back off.

As for what Romo can do? Stop trying to do too much, I think Romo will get into a mind set where he feels he has to make the play. However I think a lot of that will become much less when we can get more out of the OL and the running game
  18. Ntegrase96

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with anything you said in the first portion. The OL has to be better. We need to be better in the trenches. We need to be better in a lot of areas.

My biggest thing with Romo is that I believe the moment gets too big for him, and no matter how many good players you put around him, he's going to make a mistake at the worst possible time. Maybe not every game, but in a single elimination tourney, I do not like our chances making it through all 3 or 4 games without Romo pulling a detrimental head scratcher.

In this salary cap era, I really don't think we can build a team good enough to overcome a mistake prone QB. Teams just aren't that good anymore.
  19. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Been saying it for a while now. If he's there in the 3rd, take him. 2-3 years of grooming and he could be special. Underrated prospect imo.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,947 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    I certainly do. But the team also has to be good enough.
    See the Vikings game as exhibit A of "no chance". :laugh2: