1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's Official. It's Palin.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Oooh weeeeeeeeee, a very staunch GOP friend of mine is against this. I've never seen him so pissed. He doesn't even want to talk politics with me and he always wants to do that.
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You really believe Obama when he says he's gonna do all that change in DC? This after the man has flipped and flopped like a dead halibut on the bottom of my boat?

ORLY?
  3. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, first, there's no grounds Obama will deliver the change that Obama is promising.
  4. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Odd- He won't tell you why he is so upset about it?
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,588 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Most do understand it ...... the Obamacons on this board will never admit it though.

This is absolutely horrible for them ..... someone even younger, more dynamic, just as charismatic, just as good looking, with no questionable ties, and to top it all off, has actually accomplished things on a scale that Obama has never even seen.

I did not think McCain would have the guts to do this ..... I am so glad I was wrong.

Palin is "change" for the better ..... Washington politics is about to meet their match.
  6. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No offense to your friend, but that's just dumb.

For any moderate to conservative Republican, she's a God-send. She's miles better than any of the other candidates that were being mentioned.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "I would add that Obama does not need to be arguing how important experience is. Let me also add that when Tim Kaine, who has exactly the same experience as Palin, was treated by the Media and the Dems as a serious and acceptable potential pick, it opens up charges of a double standard."

Who said this? Bill O'Reilly? Sean Hannity? Nope. A TalkLeft blogger.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/8/29/11319/2520
  8. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,044 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Point blank, he said "a woman should never be in position to be in The White House. What is she going to know about the complexities of war?"

He is a WWII vet. Old school.

I told him I liked the choice and it made him mad. Of course he's been mad ever since McCain won. I told him it's good for Arizona that McCain won. He doesn't want to hear it. Huckabee man.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,382 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    It's certainly re-energized the Republican base. Should make the election debates alot more interesting, if nothing else. I may actually watch them.

I'm still meh on both. Got issues with both presidential candidates. I think I'll pay alot more attention to the congressional fights as that will have alot more impact on whatever the new president attempts to enact.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...And I'm Brad Pitt,right?
  11. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, a draft dodger like Bill Clinton was in the W.H. for 8 years, so why not a woman?
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,640 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I'd love to get in deep with her sometime.
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Someone has taken over Theo's account. This is not Theo. This is Hugh Hefner. :mad:
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Devil's advocate argument from NRO.

Cold Water on Palin [Ramesh Ponnuru]

Both the pros and the cons are pretty obvious. I’m going to focus on the cons, mostly because conservatives right now seem to be paying them less attention.

The pros: She’s a pro-life conservative reformer from outside Washington, and a woman. The pick signals a boldness and willingness to mix things up that the McCain campaign, like Republicans generally, need.

The cons:

Inexperience. Palin has been governor for about two minutes. Thanks to McCain’s decision, Palin could be commander-in-chief next year. That may strike people as a reckless choice; it strikes me that way. And McCain's age raised the stakes on this issue.

As a political matter, it undercuts the case against Obama. Conservatives are pointing out that it is tricky for the Obama campaign to raise the issue of her inexperience given his own, and note that the presidency matters more than the vice-presidency. But that gets things backward. To the extent the experience, qualifications, and national-security arguments are taken off the table, Obama wins.

And it’s not just foreign policy. Palin has no experience dealing with national domestic issues, either. (On the other hand, as Kate O’Beirne just told me, we know that Palin will be ready for that 3 a.m. phone call: She’ll already be up with her baby.)

Tokenism. Can anyone say with a straight face that Palin would have gotten picked if she were a man?

Compatibility. It doesn’t seem as though McCain knows Palin well. Do we have much reason to think they would work well together?

Debates. Maybe, as Jonah said the other day, Biden will look like a bully going up against her—and maybe she’ll shine. But I can think of a lot of other picks who would have been lower-risk.

I am not even sure that the pick will have quite the galvanizing effect on conservatives that it seems to be having now as it sinks in. The concerns I’ve mentioned here—about her readiness and her credentials—are the kind of thing that many conservative voters take seriously.

Now, as I said, there are pros too. Maybe Palin will be a terrific candidate and vice president. But let’s not underestimate the potential downside.
  15. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

22,635 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Respectfully disagree. The Clinton's ran that "Change" speech right through the front door of th white house.

Yeah it was a smart counter move... only made available by Obama not picking Hillary.

Who says people vote logically?

It will this time.
  16. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,533 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Women don't just fawn over anyone who shares their anatomy, or else President Mosely-Braun would be finishing up her first term right now. It'sa little bit insulting to assume that they'll go all Beatle-mania over just any woman, even if she's vastly different than the woman they wanted in the first place.
  17. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'd be surprised if you could even get that soldier to salute. :) That said, it seems like you have good reason to cast a vote for her.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

14,927 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I can't see women who are pro choice voting for an anti-choice VP just because the anti-choice VP has a ****** and not a *****.
  19. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Canada! Hello. You aren't supposed to understand. Its AMERICAN POLITICS.

Something that doesn't concern you at all but here you are all rarRRRr over it. ;)
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,588 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    It did not take long for the lewd remarks to start.