1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's Official: The Mayan's were 4 billion years off

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Previously, scientist believe it was about a 50/50 shot that the Andromeda Galaxy would collide with our Milky Way Galaxy. They now believe it will happen. We will just have to wait 4 billion years to see it.

It's a shame I'm going to miss it. The show should bee spectacular!

====================================

Andromeda on collision course with the Milky Way

It’s a definite hit. The Andromeda galaxy will collide with the Milky Way about 4 billion years from now, astronomers announced today. Although the Sun and other stars will remain intact, the titanic tumult is likely to shove the Solar System to the outskirts of the merged galaxies.

Researchers came to that conclusion after using the Hubble Space Telescope between 2002 and 2010 to painstakingly track the motion of Andromeda as it inched along the sky. Andromeda, roughly 770,000 parsecs (2.5 million light years) away, is the nearest large spiral galaxy to the Milky Way.

Roeland van der Marel and Sangmo Tony Sohn, astronomers at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, Maryland, announced the findings today at a NASA press briefing in Washington DC. The results will be reported in an upcoming issue of Astrophysical Journal1–3.

Complete Story
  2. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Here are some images of what Andromeda will probably look like in the sky as it approaches.

Whoever made these did an awesome job.

[IMG]

[IMG]

As they collide.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Post collision

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Mayan's got it right it is the scientist who are getting it wrong. Mayan's got their info from the aliens (not the illegal ones but the space ones) :laugh2:
  4. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Were those Aliens zombafied?
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Have they predicted (in other words make **** up) what that will do to life on earth?
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    No Baptist I think. What does religion have to do with it? :laugh2:

None the less the end is near and that sucks because the Cowboys play the Saints on Dec 23 rd so I will end up missing the damn game. :laugh2:
  7. Sam I Am

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received

Our solar system could survive the entire thing without damage. Of course it could get slung completely out of the Milky Way. We are on the far outside edge of the Milky Way now. They say there is around a 8-10% chance that we get slung out of the galaxy and become a rogue solar system floating in space not attached to a galaxy anymore. Obviously, the worst thing that could happen is another solar system collide with ours causing massive chaos and / or complete and utter destruction.

Nobody knows exactly what will happen to our solar system. There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of time for them to move. While galaxies have huge amounts of mass clumped together, clumped together is relative as there is enormous amounts of space between the solar systems in a galaxy. We could just fly right through it and find a new orbit in the new galaxy.

All that said, if humans still live 4 billion years from now. I don't think it will matter much. We will probably be planet / galaxy hopping by then finding new planets. I don't think the resources of the Earth will last another 4 billion years not to mention there will be a severe over population problem. On top of that, our Sun has probably between 4-5 billion years left of fuel to burn. So by the time Andromeda gets here, the Sun will be close to burning out / going super nova. When that happens, Earth is be completely engulfed in the Sun as it grows to a red giant. ie, Complete destroyed. :)
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Why are you going to miss it? You got vacation plans?

:D
  9. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,602 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    The Mayans are extinct. There is a reason they are extinct. I would not give serious consideration to their judgment calls about the future.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    They had better construction skills than the people who live there now. :laugh2:
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't think that's true. I think the 'race' of people do still exist, but I'm too lazy to search it right now.
  12. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I don't think they are extinct.
  13. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    They still exist. I have an aunt and uncle who do missionary work in Guatemala and live in a Mayan village
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Are they laughing at us and our reaction to their 'prediction'? :D
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Have not talked to them about it. I'll try to contact them on Dec 22, 2012. :D
  16. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Pictures look amazing. Wish I could be around to see it too.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I can't remember where but I saw one of those pictograms or whatever they are called and it talked about the Mayan prediction which didn't include leap year because that was invented by Caesar. As a result, the end of the world should have happened some time last summer I think.
  18. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,320 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Even if The Milky Way and Andromeda did "colide' It is unclear what if any effect it would have on this star systrm. All this is moot however as in 4 Billion years our sun will be well on it's way to burning the Earths surface to a cinder.
  19. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    to be fair it was a calender not a prediction of the end of the world. it was just on a longer term scale than the one hanging in your kitchen, the point remains though that the world doesn't end on the 31st december every year
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    No rational person ever thought the world was going to end in the first place based on the Mayan count. I sure as hell didn't.

I've questioned before how a civilization with such omnipotent forecasting couldn't see their own demise.