1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's put up or shut up time for Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I think Garrett is one of the worst coaches in the league and the worst in Cowboys history.

Having said that, he has these last 4 games to make a statement and prove a lot of us wrong, I do believe his job is on the line, I think there is no way Jerry keeps him if Dallas embarasess themselves in these last 4 games, the pressure from fans and media would be too much.

I want to be wrong about Garrett, I want the Cowboys to run the table, yes we have injuries but every team has them, Pitt won in Baltimore with Charlie Batch for crying out loud. We have the QB to do it. There are no excuses, just go out there and win the games and Garrett can run away with the job.

I want to eat the hell out of that crow.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,234 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    I wish it was but as long as he has a Pro Bowl QB he'll always look somewhat decent enough for Jerry to stick with him.
  3. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,171 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    We win these and he can get another year in my book. Any losses outside of that or a foul up in game mgmt and he's a goner!

I still won't like it, but I will gladly eat crow if we win the SB. :D
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,703 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    I've heard sentiments like this before. I'm not sure I get it. I understand being disappointed with last season and this one. But how, looking at where we're at--winning three of the last four under some adverse circumstances (mostly injuries on defense and given what we've all seen with the problems our OTs have had this season)--aren't you at least pleased that the NFCE is still within reach at this point? I mean, I get saying it's shut-up time if we lose out (not sure I agree with that, but I definitely understand it). But, if we were to win out, for example, go 10-6 or even 9-7 and somehow win the East with the interior of the defense gutted, I'd say that's a decent accomplishment for year two of a reorganization project.

Isn't it? Granted, I think most of the play calling second guess if Garrett is silly. And it cracks me up that our fans have actually convinced themselves that he deserves all the blame for the first half (we're unprepared, obviously) and none of the credit for the second halves (we abandoned the game plan, obviously). I think the clock management stuff is real, and we obviously have red zone play calling/execution limitations. But he's far from the worst coach in our history (Campo wins that in a landslide), and there are a bunch of coaches in worse shape in the league right now. I'm surprised, I guess that our fans are so down on the guy given that the team is actually still obviously in contention.
  5. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is inexcusable for your team to be totally unprepared to play the first half of every game. We once again are among the league leaders in penalties. We were told players would be prepared, that the team would be prepared, the first half and the game management issues contradict that. We were told players were going to be held accountable, and that this would be disciplined. The pre snap penalties alone discredit that. What I don't get as how some fans look at this team and the staff and not be ticked.,
  6. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,879 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    You don't see any thing wrong with what you typed there?
  7. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,459 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Guess you were born after the Campo years.
  8. tecolote

1,777 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I think it's neck and neck with those two, but as I said in my post, I would love to be wrong.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,171 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    Right. I heard a telling stat the other night for the Gents against the Skins. NY had over 9 penalties for the first time since 2010.?!. Are you kidding me? That's our average for crying out loud!

We stink and this "small" stuff, as Romo always says, needs to get cleaned up big time.
  10. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,112 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    It's put up or shut up time for Garrett

No. It's not.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    My two biggest complaints about Garrett:

1. The offense has seemed like a disorganized mess all year. I actually think they have regressed.

2. Outside of maybe the season opener, when have you thought "Wow, Dallas really had a better game plan, were better prepared and better coached than the opponent?"
  12. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Not the worst in their history...but among them.
  13. tecolote

1,777 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    To me, personaly, it is. I want to see the progress some people think there is. On the field for once.

That's not a lot to ask.
  14. obidiah

obidiah New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Perfect response...poor Campo
  15. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,112 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I hear ya. I want it yesterday too.

Like in years past.. Looks like we are about to click, turn the corner, take it to next lever... Whatever you call it :) just want it to happen. At this point it's in the players NOT Garrett.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,703 Messages
    4,563 Likes Received
    Not enough complaining about Jason Garrett?

1. I think they'd regressed, too. Though mostly because the OTs regressed, and because of the problems at OC, injuries to Murray, and the fact that we really missed Robinson most of the year. I don't think we've seen all year what was envisioned for the offense, but it was intended to be built around Demarco Murray and Callahan's ZBS.

2. Not sure where this game plan criticism comes from, but I'd pay good money to hear the posters who complain about it the loudest actually try to describe it from week to week. I'd bet good money the descriptions would be almost incomprehensible. As for better prepared, I don't have an opinion on that because I don't know what basis people are using for measuring the level of preparation. My guess is that's code for the number of penalties teams get. As for better coaching, you'd be hard pressed to convince me we won six games this season out of 12 with a limited OL and a patchwork defense and an injured running game while being outcoached.
  17. dware94

dware94 Member

102 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    When you have somebody like Free as your RT, penalties will always be a problem because he has to do whatever he can to avoid Romo getting killed.
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I feel the same way, eating crow and all. I do know this. If we don't make the playoffs, Garrett is gone.
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,290 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    See, most of us fans dont view Garrett as in yr 2 of a reorganization project. Most of us know that Garrett has been here since 2007 and Romo still has to tell the WRs where to line up.

We have botched numerous games either by Garrett not properly managing the clock or not using timeouts effectively. If you want to get into play calling, how about calling 62 pass plays when he knows our o-line is CFL caliber. How about blowing a 3 TD lead because you want to pass the ball everydown against Detroit. How about needing only 1 first down to beat the Pats and you run FB dive 3 straight times and punt to Tom Brady. How about iceing your own kicker, or not even trying to get closer on game winning FG attempts.

I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the point. Most of us fans have not forgot about this stuff and you wonder why the fan base is so down on Opie?

Seriously?
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,726 Messages
    3,224 Likes Received
    Prepare for disappointment.