1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's put up or shut up time for Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Dec 7, 2012.

1. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,273 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I agree that injuries and performance on the OL have definitely impacted the team's performance.

But Garrett's offenses, outside of 2007, have never been what I'd call dominant anyway

I think you'll find my Garrett criticisms have been fairly benign compared to some. I've said all along that Garrett is still learning how to be a coach. I think he may have gotten his opportunity before he had all the on the job training he needed. He's probably wearing too many hats right now and is a little overwhelmed.

However, penalties absolutely fall on the coach and are a huge issue. I'm not convinced the running of the play clock down all the time is really a strategy or actually an issue. And, I'm sure this is too vague for you, but has there been a game where the offense went out and asserted its will on the defense? Did something that caused them to radically alter their game plan? Continually target and exploit a weakness?

And I do think more experienced coaching could have resulted in a better record this year. I think the team could have stole a couple of close ones that they lost (Baltimore, Atlanta) and been better prepared against teams like Chicago and Seattle. And most of these games are early in the season when the injuries hadn't gotten too far out of control.

I think there are a lot of issues with the team right now. Garrett isn't the biggest one, but I also wouldn't give him an "A" for his coaching performance this year.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,603 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I would agree. I'm hardly a happy fan, but Garrett is not the issue right now. Nor is he the worst HC in Cowboys history ... that definitely goes to Campo.

We're a .500 team with an opportunity to reach the playoffs. Heck, even the mightly Landry and Jimmy Johnson couldn't win games when they didn't have personnel. People make it seem like a HC can suddenly conjure up miracles ... turn water in wine. Not gonna happen with this roster.

The team is limited by it's personnel. It's not like we're a Super Bowl team being hindered by our HC. Not even close.
  3. elcowboi

elcowboi Member

829 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I don't think he's the worst coach in the NFL or in Cowboys history.
  4. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I laugh at people that say Garrett is one of the worst coaches in Cowboys history. Do you not remember Chan Gailey or Dave Campo? I still like Garrett over Phillips.

He's probably more like middle of the pack of Cowboy coaches. Not as good as Switzer, Johnson, or Landry but somewhere in between, not as bad as Gailey, Phillips, or Campo.
  5. NickZepp

2,481 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I have a feeling if this message board existed in 1991 we would have wanted Jimmy Johnson fired about midway through that season too. Heck with 5 games left that year we were 6-5 and had to face 4 playoff caliber teams in the final 5 games. I bet most here would have been rooting for him to lose all of them. Good thing we won all of them and became the dynasty we became.
  6. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    As good as Switzer?:laugh2:
  7. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    While Jimmy had the advantage of free agency he wasn't handed nearly the core of players JG was. I think us fans back then were a bit more patient back in the day. We all knew we were getting a fiery no gruff coach when Jimmy was brought aboard.
  8. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Chan had a 10-6 team. Waddles had a 13-3 team.

That leaves Campo, who had to coach coomplete garbage.

Its a tossup between red and Dave
  9. NickZepp

2,481 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I'll agree there overall. But it's not like Garrett was handed great offensive line or overall defensive talent right away. Basically we had Romo, Austin, and Witten on offense, Ware was about it on defense.
  10. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    The absolute ignorance of some of our fan base amazes.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Right? Some Cowboys fans even think that Troy Aikmans backup is capable of coaching!!!:laugh2:
  12. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    The absolute ignorance of some of our fan base is amazing.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    people in glass houses should not throw stones
  14. calico

calico Active Member

4,140 Messages
    10 Likes Received

The campo years weren't as frustrating to me as pellirojo years because those campo teams had basically no talent. There is some good talent that the ginger is pissing away.
  15. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,259 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Garrett would benefit from having some players like Lee, Carter, Church
    , maybe even Costa.
  16. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    So don't throw any.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,908 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    This roster is definitely talented. You don't agree that it's got some limitations here late in the year, too?

And is it getting pissed away if we qualify for the playoffs after everything? Because, if we do, then what's the issue with the coaching? He dramatically upgraded the team after he replaced Wade. You're upset about last season, I take it? Or that we lost games like BAL and NYFG this season?
  18. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I agree the injuries have been bad, but, for example, the Redskins lost Orakpo and Carriker, the Giants lost Locklear and Nicks, Pitts lost Rape and Polamalu, Baltimore Lewis and Suggs, GB Mathews and Woodson, etc.

Every team has injuries, there are no excuses.
  19. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I find it simply incredible that you can say this with a straight face. Please enlighten us and tell us why Garrett has been a good coach so far. There is not ONE single thing you can point to and say 'this team has improved', it is laughable that you can come here and pretend you have some inside info as to how the team is improving leaps and bounds from a warped up alternate universe perspective.

As I said in my OP, I think Garrett is awful, but I am open to the fact that I may be wrong, as a matter of fact, I hope I'm wrong, but sooner or later that improvement you speak of has to show on the field and not just in your red tinted dreams. If he wants the job he should earn it, and quite frankly, he hasn't so far.
  20. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,193 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Hogwash <<<<<< Correcting the horrific personnel moves and drafting are first priority in turning this ship around. This GM is either ignorant of the trench requirements in the NFL or he simply values flash players over boring linemen. This problem existed long before Garrett arrived and is currently sullying the good name of yet another highly regarded OL coach.

The personnel are so bad that players who should be backups are starters and their backups should not even be on the roster. Once the injuries hit, and they always do, then we've got non-NFL caliber players playing key roles on the field.

Until that is fixed there is no way to accurately judge Garrett,,, and don't claim that he is at fault for marginalizing the trenches, we all know that the GM made that call.