1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

It's put up or shut up time for Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,711 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    You are correct sir. The team is playing hard under Garret. When the give up and stop playing, like they did under Phillips, then I will join the " Lets get rid of Garrett Crew", but until then, I am sticking with him. Not good changing coaches every 2 years.
  2. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    So now we're supposed to give credit for competent second half performances to a coach who didn't have his team ready coming out of the tunnel? Having his team ready to play is supposed to be a given for any coach worth his salt. C'Mon man you're grasping at straws.
  3. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In 4 games he has been head coach for 2 1/2 years. The team has regressed and all his talk about accountability, preparedness, discipline have turned out to be just hollow words. He has had a chance to fix the oline, better prepare the team for games, hold players accountable he hasn't done it. It isn't all his fault he is handicapped by the worst front office and GM in all of football.
  4. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Head swing to Garrett apologists.
  5. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,903 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    You folks imagine head swings when there are none. There is a world of difference between having input on offensive position drafts, and an overall plan for building a team. I say again, it has been less than 2 years as head coach (sorry, you can't count taking over for Wade mid-season).

Anyway, jump up and down all you want. If he is fired, then Al Davis Jr. will take us one more ride. If he isn't, then you boys will get to be miserable until we start winning big, at which time none of you will own your views. It is called convenient amnesia.
  6. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Just get some wins. I'll worry about how my views play later. This team looks totally unprepared every week and that is on this coach and his staff. Yes Jerry will always be the #1 problem, but he's not the guy game planning in the heat of the moment.
  7. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mr. Jones isn't half the GM that Al Davis was and didn't have even a fraction of Mr Davis's football acumen. Towards the end Mr Davis did get nutty and went off the reservation but Mr. Jones has always been that way. Honestly nothing changes until Mr. Jones leaves so Coach Garrett can stay for all I care. I take issue with people defending the job he has done by making excuses for him. It is laughable.

I find it ironic that many on this site take up for a person just because he is a coach, staff or a player for the Dallas Cowboys. If Coach Garrett did the things he had done here in Washington you would all be berating him. No one person is more important than the Star.
  8. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,903 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I want wins too. But I'm not so stupid as to think that losing close to half your starting players has no effect on a football team.

To simply say "win" is mindless. Church gone, Carter gone, Lee gone, Ratliff gone, Brent gone, Costa gone, Murray gone 6 games, Austin missed games, Witten very slow start due to an injury that would have kept mortals out, Felix Jones missed a bunch of time and still isn't right, etc, etc, etc, etc,... The injuries have been so many that some have even used the word "cursed".

I think the team has done pretty well given what we haven't rebuilt yet, and how decimated the team has been by injuries.
  9. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,903 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I completely agree with your assessment of Jones. Don't agree with you on Garrett and it has nothing to do with him being on the staff, or being a player, of the Cowboys.
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    We also must remember that the last time the Cowboys had a winning record was three games into the season. They weren't exactly winning before they sustained all those injuries. In fact, they were .500 or worse when each of those injuries occurred.

Do injuries hurt performance? Absolutely. However, there's no evidence the Cowboys would be winning if those injured players were still here, and it's equally "mindless" to say they would have won Game A if Player X had been available.

I don't think Garrett should be fired. A guy shouldn't be run out after two seasons unless he's a colossal failure. However, we're getting to the point that he needs to start winning -- regardless of circumstance.
  11. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,131 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    You are right, let's have a very hard playing team with a .500 record for the next 5 years, after all this league in not about winning, it's about playing hard and not giving up, that guy named Vince Lombardi was absolutely wrong when he said winning isn't everything it's the only thing. :rolleyes:
  12. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    There is no way no how Jerry doesnt give Garrett another season regardless of how we finish this year and I believe rightfully so. To think otherwise is just setting yourself up to be disgruntled.

I am as disappointed as anyone with what I have see out of Garrett this season but this team needs consistency at the HC position. I believe in the offseason Garrett will look very hard at himself and the team and we will ultimately be better for it.
  13. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    After reviewing your posts its painfully obvious you know very little of sports, more specifically football. The mojority of the time you waste forum space by making some snide condescending remark.
    Does it help you get by the daily grind by using backhanded sarcasm degrading other members for voicing their honest opinion? Is life that bad?
    Really man, I suspect the guy you take time to belittle just wants the team to win. Why be so ugly about things?

But.... youre already "disgruntled". You have failed yourself.
  14. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,131 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Take a chill pill buddy, just expressing my opinions, I didn't belittle anybody, I respect everybody's opinions I just don't happen to agree with the ones that think Garrett is a good coach, but once again, I sure respect them, that's what this board is all about.
    If by me stating that I am not ok with a team just for great effort and not winning offends you, then that's your problem not mine.

And by the way I won't even discuss if I know sports of football like you suggest I don't, I'm not 11.
  15. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,131 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    And I am the one being condescending, before you post something, remember what you've posted before, Cheers Bro.
    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4879112#post4879112
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,645 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    If Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson had a team with this many injuries ....... they would be 6-6 as well.
  17. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agreed.

The positive take-away message here is that Garrett can really only get better. He's going to be great sooner than later. People forget that Ozzie Newsome offered Garrett the HC job in Baltimore years ago.

Ozzie Newsome is only one of the best GMs in the entire league. So people questioning Jerry should look at how an actual widely respected GM also coveted Jason.
  18. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,476 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Let's see how good the 1992 team is with Emmitt Smith out 6 games, Alvin Harper missing games, Novacek being about 50% the first few games, No Charles Haley or Ken Norton for most of the season Missing Tony Tolbert and Jeffcoat for parts of the season. Missing James Washington...That's basically what has happened with the roster of this team this year. And we could have easily won a couple more games if a few things bounce the right way.
  19. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,903 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Scipio I enjoy your posts, but you are just on the wrong foot on this one, and for a couple of reasons.

1. Some of these injuries started right out of the gate. Am I mistaken to think that we lost Church in game 1? And Witten was slow coming out of the gate due to his injury.

2. The NFL season is about building momentum. For example, if you are above .500 after 3 games it means you are 2-1. The only way you could be better is to be 3-0! If injuries keep happening every time you get your head above water, it is going to be pretty hard to keep momentum. I know, AND I BELIEVE, that injuries happen to everyone. But I'm sorry, not at this rate. What we have experienced this year is ridiculous.
  20. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We've been a .500 team at best all year (save week 1). Lets not blame our struggles on injuries now.